Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9431 times)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 02:31:16 pm »
At this point i sat down and did a few hours research on non-OEM bearings for various bits on the bike - swingarm, wheel bearings, chain guides, waterpump, steering as well as the relevant seals. I approached 6 different suppliers in Jhb and the only company that was able to supply a COMPLETE order was BMG - all the seals and bearings as above for around R800..... BMW wanted closer to R4k...

Also ordered a few specialized bolts and stuff from Aut Alpina in Boksburg - Thurston  is a good contact there for parts, helped me a whole load.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 02:48:09 pm »
I really need an alternative to Photobucket......  >:(

Google Photos? If you have a Gmail account, you have Photos already. Just remember to share you albums, and click on each picture and copy the URL and paste between the "img" tags in your report.

Thanks Ri - I will look into that this afternoon.....

Nope - cant get that to work either - couldnt get Flikr to work either.....

What is the challenge, exactly? Can't load photo's to Photos, can't mark the album as "shared", can't get the image to show?

You can PM me for trouble shooting, or check this or last post, if it's image URL-related: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=1308.msg4175871#msg4175871
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 03:13:47 pm »
I really need an alternative to Photobucket......  >:(

Google Photos? If you have a Gmail account, you have Photos already. Just remember to share you albums, and click on each picture and copy the URL and paste between the "img" tags in your report.

Thanks Ri - I will look into that this afternoon.....

Nope - cant get that to work either - couldnt get Flikr to work either.....

What is the challenge, exactly? Can't load photo's to Photos, can't mark the album as "shared", can't get the image to show?

You can PM me for trouble shooting, or check this or last post, if it's image URL-related: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=1308.msg4175871#msg4175871

Thanks Ri - I will check the link first - but basically no pic is shown - the album is shared - I will PM you after I have played a bit more - I need to work it out myself, pig-headed apparently.....
THAT was the thread I was looking for and couldnt find!!!   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:14:43 pm by ClimbingTurtle »

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 05:04:10 pm »
Thanks Ri - I will check the link first - but basically no pic is shown - the album is shared - I will PM you after I have played a bit more - I need to work it out myself, pig-headed apparently.....
THAT was the thread I was looking for and couldnt find!!!   :thumleft:
Always glad to help :imaposer:
I know what you mean ::)
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
 :sip:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline dirt rat

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 07:20:59 am »
Love what you are doing - these bikes are special .
Just a word of advice to the owners of X challenges - Take the trouble of removing the swingarm and greasing the bearings and bushes every 20000km.
Failing to do this will result in seized bushes as seen in this post.
From the photos in this post I can see the wiring on the fuel pump unit are not standard. Common problem on the X.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 07:38:36 am »
Just a word of advice to the owners of X challenges - Take the trouble of removing the swingarm and greasing the bearings and bushes every 20000km.
From the photos in this post I can see the wiring on the fuel pump unit are not standard. Common problem on the X.

Fuel pump wiring was glued in place with Q-Bond - I still need to deal with that....

The bike is in surprisingly good condition given the km's of hard labour it did - I believe it was the right bike for what it was used for!
It needs a shed-load of work, but the basics are still strong.

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 07:40:11 am »
The right hand swingarm bush has a 8ml thread on the inside - lots of wd 40 and a slide hammer will eventually free it up.

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 07:45:43 am »
If the top of the fuel pump assembly does not leak fuel and works I would leave it like that.
The alternative will involve a new assembly and a portion of the wiring loom.
Best to just put couplers on the wiring for fuel filter maintenance.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:14 am »
The right hand swingarm bush has a 8ml thread on the inside - lots of wd 40 and a slide hammer will eventually free it up.

Never found a thread......
Did find a angle grinder tho.....  >:D

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
Look at the photo of the sheared bolt with your finger pointing at the bolt - the thread is visible in the inside centre.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 09:01:10 am »
Look at the photo of the sheared bolt with your finger pointing at the bolt - the thread is visible in the inside centre.

You are so right!!
I never even noticed that - but at the end of the day I cut the bush off and bought a new one, it was completely stuffed, had bearing marks all over it, so no real loss.

Offline dirt rat

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:54 am »
That would also work.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:49 am »
So in the meantime, we approach the issue from the left and remove that sides cap-screw/bolts/cover for the swingarm pivot – but this time I consult my mates at Google first, me being a fast learner, and see this side is indeed threaded, and extends into the engine casing, thereby centering the swingarm on the bike. Cunning. Pity this side has a collared bush that is ALSO corroded on and stuck solid. And it cant slide out, being collared…..
This is what its supposed to look like, both sides….

And here is the offending collar – the screwdriver is against a section that I snapped off trying to hold it with a pair of water-pump pliers – the bush is supposed to turn on the threaded shaft and stay in the swingarm when the bolt is extracted through it.

But no, its solid. And as I have damaged it already, I know I must replace it, so off to the Extreme Violence Corner for a crowbar. Obvious choice for breaking shit. No question. In minutes the collar was broken off and the mini-grinder was employed to remove the last vestiges of a collared bush…. Application of a 10mm Allen key removed the bolt, complete with seized bush through the remnants of the swingarm bearing cage….. Did I mention the bearings? They came out in pieces, what was left of them anyway. Cant help thinking he ride musta been a bit rough…..

At this point I realised I could remove the right section of the frame by removing the 3 bolts holding onto the main frame/backbone and have easier access to the right stuck bolts whilst working on the bench. Cunning plan. Do it.

Online jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 09:38:19 am »
Hi, you say that you replaced the steering head bearings. Do you happen to have numbers?

Greased and reassembled mine, but they are showing all the signs at only 15,000 kays.  :(

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:25 am »
Hi, you say that you replaced the steering head bearings. Do you happen to have numbers?

Greased and reassembled mine, but they are showing all the signs at only 15,000 kays.  :(

Here you go - First Tab - scroll down - I will get the BMG part numbers tonight

The following users thanked this post: jaybiker

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:09 am »
Nice thread 👌
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 11:44:04 am »
I really enjoy these builds where things has to be made to be fixed.

I feel like something again... but not as hectic as my Bantam rebuild.. :laughing4: 

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=155455.0

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Sandvreter

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Is that you Juliaaaas?
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 05:06:35 pm »

As he said , grease and clean mine after any heavey trip  >:( they are notorious, and dont forget the rose joints on the rear shock, the fckrs stop swivelling and bite into the bolts holding them, next second you snap the bolt/s after grabbing some air.
Love the thread  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:07:36 pm by Sandvreter »
I bleed next to my bike , thanks.
BMW 1200GS BMW F800GSA , Xchallenge 650, Ducati Diavel, Yamaha yz250f, KTM 300, Suzuki GS850G, Kawasaki 750Z, VFR400, tricycle...hi-techs....feet....knees....elbows...hands...

Offline noble steed

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
great thread  :thumleft: