Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9129 times)

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2019, 06:56:01 pm »
I really enjoy these builds where things has to be made to be fixed.

I feel like something again... but not as hectic as my Bantam rebuild.. :laughing4: 

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=155455.0
I really enjoy seeing other people do it! :peepwall:
This year, I work ( if I have a job ), ride my bikes as much as possible ( Nam in April :thumleft:) and camp!
Not taking on no projects!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 01:24:01 pm »
This whole exercise was to get to this point…..

The engine is on the bench – pissing oil I might add, mainly because the drain plug is somewhat forked,

So I bought a Flank-Drive socket 24mm, which spectacularly failed to loosen the offending bolt either. In the end I took the angle-grinder and cut 2 parallel sections off of the bolt, right up to the copper washer and created 2 flat surfaces for a 19mm spanner, which worked, luckily… And Auto Alpina had a sump plug in stock, with an allen drive…..
And the swimgarm bushes arrived from BMW Germany in 10 days as well – good going!!
Anyway, back to the swingarm bushes….

As seen here, the bush is seized onto the bolt holding the “blind” right side of the swingarm – and as I am replacing them, best is to take the mini-grinder with an abrasive blade and cut a slot into the bush, being careful to do as little (like none) damage to the bolt it sits on. My thought is that I am going to grease the inner bolt anyway, if there are any “nicks” on it, they will be filled with grease anyway, and the tight fit means it wont damage the new bush. Hopefully.

Anyway, to work it was, and the removed/cut bushes, left & right.

Lets hope we don’t regret that…..

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:06:54 pm by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 01:26:22 pm »
Half got Google Photo to cooperate - seems the pics are not the right size, but at least there is no script over them.....  :biggrin:

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 01:41:39 pm »
After stripping out the clutch plates (A new clutch basket will need to be procured at some point, but as its an easy fix, I didn’t order one yet) I realised that getting the basket out was going to require some innovation –@ Halfdaft stepped up to the plate once again and offered me the use of his Clutch Basket Vice Grips

And which I gladly accepted and put to use.

Unfortunately I should have done this with the motor in the frame as I could not budge it, without fear of breaking something, so I resumed “Sustained Thought” pose for a day or 2 – the after discussion with Halfdaft we decided that  a Pneumatic Impact Wrench, which I don’t have, was needed, so I loaded the motor in the car on a Saturday morning and took it off to Half-Daft – who fired up his compressor and completely failed to get the bolt loose – so we resorted to some good old-fashioned force and a 3-foot pipe on a heavy-duty socket drive and the Clutch Vice Grips and after a huge amount of force, managed to get it of…. The Impact Wrench took care of the nut holding the Flywheel Generator unit and a couple of other tight bolts while I was there…. And I also borrowed a specially made puller for the flywheel (its on a magnetic taper) that Halfdaft made using a laser-cut ring, threaded internal, with 3 laser-cut pulling tabs welded onto it, more shortly….

Once back at the Casa, I realized I still needed to make a plan to get the clutch basket off – so out came some flat-bar, drills, grinder and Voila!

Next task is to remove the flywheel – a task made easy by the afore-mentioned special tool made by Half-daft – its brilliant, and this was the 2nd time it has ever been used….

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:00:11 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 02:03:41 pm »
Thanks Ri!!

I learn more each day!!

:thumleft:

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 02:06:15 pm »
Thanks Ri!!

I learn more each day!!

:thumleft:

Pleasure! I'm learning a lot from this thread :sip:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:24 pm »
On your last post I only see some of the pictures.  Could be our internet at work blocking something.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 02:44:17 pm »
On your last post I only see some of the pictures.  Could be our internet at work blocking something.

Not sure - I can see them all?

Anyone else?

They are hosted by Google Photo - the last posts dated today - all the ones before that were hosted by PhotoBucket?
I will try Flikr as well.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 02:48:53 pm »
Where do you find the names for all the bolts and flanges and thingies? It will take me ages to describe! Thanks for the meticulous write-up :thumleft:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »
only seeing some of the photos

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 02:56:30 pm »
Where do you find the names for all the bolts and flanges and thingies? It will take me ages to describe! Thanks for the meticulous write-up :thumleft:

Parts Manual & repair guide as per @noble steed - thanks again for the manual!

Maybe too meticulous - boring....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 02:57:07 pm »

Shot - I will revert back to PhotoBucket for the moment.....

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 03:06:36 pm »
let me give you a tip on the photos - but dont tell the forum moderators

start a new thread call it "ClimbingTurtle's Photo Thread"

then you post all your photos there no words just a post with photos on it

then you copy the url link from that photo and use it in this thread where you can nicely place it in the correct place

but you did not hear about that from me  :peepwall:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
And Thanking You will just create an issue - but thanks!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 03:11:08 pm »
And Thanking You will just create an issue - but thanks!

nah i'm just joking it should be fine - should not cause any issues

you can attach photos to your posts but if you want to do it nicely with spacing and wording then the current forum software is a little limiting

this way your photos will always be around - not like some ride reports that have no more photos cause the 3rd party hosting is no longer valid

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2019, 07:27:43 am »

Pls check if some of the pics are still "hidden"
I think they werent "shared" in Google Photos

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 10:29:15 am »
FINALLY – we can see what going on inside the motor

And because I failed to read all the words in the manual, I removed the wrong side of the motor, resulting in…

Surprisingly, there was no rubbish in the bottom of the motor at all, so I checked the bearings and made an assessment of the parts that needed replacement – these include
The Water Pump drive gears (old ones on the right)

The Water pump Bearings

The water-pump impeller

The water-pump seals (JOH!!!!)

And the White Metal Bearings for the Crank – once again, these were sourced from BMW with a 7-day delivery ex-Germany. Damn fine service from Thurston at Auto Alpina in Boksburg I might add.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:46 am »
Once I received the White Metal Bearings, I tried to install them, but once I tried it, I realised I would have to make the correct tool for the job – this meant sourcing a piece of 60mm diameter solid nylon rod, sending it out to get a flange turned on it to hold the bearing and a collar to push them into the casing with a hydraulic press. Cost in excess of R1000. Another call to Justin at Motorrad tech to confirm he could press them in for me, but only in January….
So, what to do next…..
I decided to wait for Justin and spend the intervening time cleaning and fixing the rest of the bits that need attention, so lets get washing!!
First was to wash with paraffin and then with degreaser & water – resulting in the area next to the pool becoming a scrap-yard….. 😊

Trust me, there are more parts having around being washed – because this is Blitsie just before Christmas….

And then it was Christmas, so not very much work was done for a few days, except this….

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:17:00 pm by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2019, 07:46:01 am »
It's good to hear that you can get parts so easy and quickly for this project!  :thumleft: