Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 7731 times)

Offline Superkazy

Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2019, 11:48:14 am »
@ClimbingTurtle Check that you don't have an air bubble in your cooling system. Since a bubble can cause the coolant to overheat and spill over before the fan turns on. Thermostat is easy to check with a cup of hot water and dipping the thermostat into it.If you pouring the coolant back in just squeeze the coolant hoses while you pouring it back in then just close the cap run the bike to operating temperature then just shut it off and cool down then reopen the radiator cap and squeeze the lines again and fill the rad to the top. That should get all the air out. .

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:37 am »
Cheers Superkrazy - i did most of this, still no fan and boiling coolant....
But seeing as this is a resto-project, we must expect the odd hiccup and stumble on the way, so with that in mind I started trouble-shooting.

Obvious place to start is the fan - add a power cord an that runs furiously - so thats fine.
Next place to look is the heat-switch on the head that runs the fan - as soon as I un-clipped it with the ignition on, the fan comes on - so potentially the heat-switch is faulty, but I can only confirm that when the rest of the system is confirmed as being 100%
Drain the coolant - and seeing as the drain plug is part of the coolant pump, whip the cover off and confirm the gears are engaged - they are, so thats all good.
Next - whip the coolant hose off of the bottom of the rad and check the thermostat, and this is the result.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2019, 07:37:58 am »
Now, this is probably the start of the original problem re the heat-seizing.....

So, back to BMW and order a new thermostat, and the rubber seal while we are at it - pointless not to do that when its apart....!
Also, on inspecting the radiator cap, the "ears" were bent a little unevenly, so it was never going to seal properly - bent them a little and thats now sealing

Then I reassembled, filled with coolant, bled the system and started him up again, ran up to temp - but even before that, coolant started pushing out of the bottom of the section where thermostat sits - so the seal is probably not seated properly, or there is shrapnel in there, or something..... I switched it off to think......

BUUUUT....... The concerning bit, is where are the rest of the damaged parts - there is a black cap missing from the top of the thermostat, along with some other plastic shards - there should be more pieces!!

The good news is that when I stripped the motor, i checked all the water channels, so no debris in there - and the damage occurred before the rad, so I suspect the pieces are stuck in the top of the rad somewhere - not ideal, admittedly......

I the applied some sustained thought and went and had a beer and a swim.......

Tonight i will take the rad out completely and inspect properly!!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Just for good measure do a cooling system flush. Since you get some knobs using normal tap water and coolant and mix in the system, this can cause calcification buildup in the engine cooling channels and the radiator. Also check that your cooling system pressurizes at least as you are saying there are pieces missing and the radiator cap was bent. If you don't want to bother with a fan switch just wire it manually so that you can leave the fan on when hitting the trails.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2019, 02:10:30 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Just for good measure do a cooling system flush. Since you get some knobs using normal tap water and coolant and mix in the system, this can cause calcification buildup in the engine cooling channels and the radiator. Also check that your cooling system pressurizes at least as you are saying there are pieces missing and the radiator cap was bent. If you don't want to bother with a fan switch just wire it manually so that you can leave the fan on when hitting the trails.

Thanks - yup, will probably do that all tomorrow - ordered a new cap, O-ring & Thermostat from BMW this morning - it will be here tomorrow - so tonight I will strip the rad off and check it out properly - may as well remove it and do it properly, its only a couple of bolts! The temp sensor switch is also under R400 - but I will only do that if it still doesn't start the fan - I discovered the fan comes on when you disconnect the plug on the switch (I thought I was going to have to bridge it)
We will know later today!

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2019, 07:23:24 pm »
Just fyi for the future. You don't have to get only bmw parts you can also use aftermarket parts which are just as good and 1/3 the price.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2019, 07:22:52 am »
Just fyi for the future. You don't have to get only bmw parts you can also use aftermarket parts which are just as good and 1/3 the price.

Thanks - I probably could have, but I am in a rush, and I dont have time to wander around looking for stuff - the O-ring would have been easy to get, and the cap wuld have been OK to, not sure abou the thermostat, but then I havnt looked!!

Coolant volume - total is 1.1 litres - that very little - and thats why I thought there might be blockages, still going to blow all the galleries out tonight & install the parts and see.....

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2019, 07:52:13 am »
OK - Seems that we have solved that little problem... Well, 3 problems actually...

- Thermostat disintegrated - pic of the old bits and a new unit (I forgot to take a pic!)
 - O-ring - the old one was worn and had some calcification on it - stupid not to replace it
 - Radiator Cap - looks like the wrong one was installed - the old one is on the left - although they were the same pressure rating (1.5Bar) the old one would not have had the space to move, as far as I can tell....

Then I filled up the coolant, started Blitsie and ran him until the fan came on - which it does, so theheat switch is actually working!!
Then I ran out of time to re-assemble the panels etc., so the test ride will wait until tonight!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:53:01 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline Piet

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2019, 08:05:25 am »
Great news! Well done, CT!  :thumleft:

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2019, 08:44:26 am »

@ClimbingTurtle, that original pressure cap is incorrect.  That comes from the old F650 Funduro and a completely different cap,  The new one is the correct one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:45:16 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2019, 08:49:24 am »

@ClimbingTurtle, that original pressure cap is incorrect.  That comes from the old F650 Funduro and a completely different cap,  The new one is the correct one.

Cheers - that arrived with Blitsie - albeit in a box, so I assumed it was the correct one - but clearly not - thanks for the confirmation!!

:thumleft:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:53 am »

Cheers - that arrived with Blitsie - albeit in a box, so I assumed it was the correct one - but clearly not - thanks for the confirmation!!

:thumleft:
This is the problem when taking care of someone else's problems, and the beauty of taking personal ownership. Clearly this jockey is on the right track! Wll done Turtle☺
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2019, 08:11:39 am »
Right - a weekend of problems, solved & unsolved was had....

Firstly, the coolant issues - after a morning of trouble-shooting at @Halfdaft - including pressure-testing the rad.
the problem is the boiling coolant and then it overflows before the fan comes on.....
The decision was that I had buggered up the coolant ratio, so off to the Engen to aquire some new BMW-blue coolant, drained, measured accurately to 1100ml and filled - tested and voila! No boiling, no overflow, no issues.....

So, off to test it Sunday morning, packed some spare coolant and a few spanners, a tube & a pump and met Richard at 7am at the R59 Blockhouse North, for some technical track riding - oh man, what a blast, 2 hours of riding and I was properly tired, seriously unfit for the tight & twisty riding, but what a blast, had some of the best riding done in ages, I would not have liked to do this on my 1200 though..... The fan came on a couple of times, but no warning lights, and given the slow rate of progress, and the thick, high grass at some sections, I was extremely pleased with this!

After a couple of hours, and with some other plans for the rest of the day, I trailered up and headed home and washed Blisie of the mud & dust, and to check fluids.....

Oil - clear, full, no issues.
Overflow bottle - hasnt moved off of the mark.
Rad - just about DRY!

WTF!!??!!?? - the coolant in the rad has disappeared! Load up the 60ml syringe and start adding premixed coolant - added 190ml, including some burping....!!

So clearly the problem is not solved.......

Blitsie is running perfectly, no water in the oil, yet has vanishing coolant.....

Who has ideas.......  :-[

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2019, 08:23:21 am »
It had an air lock (bubble) which bled out. 

Fill it and give it a good ride and check again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:24:00 am by ktmmer »
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:05 am »
There can only be  a few problems that causes coolant issue:
1. air bubble
2.Broken water pump(did you test the new one you put in?)
3.hole in rad or hoses
4.calcification.
5.blockage in rad
6.broken thermostat (did you test the new one before putting it in?)
7.incorrect coolant fill level
8.Incorrect air/fuel mix so bike is running lean boiling coolant(happened to my dakar when I added mods so just made it more rich fixed the issue)

Check this list and tick them off, if anyone wants to add to list go for it so we can help a fellow dog out to enjoy his new beasty.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2019, 09:17:47 am »
There can only be  a few problems that causes coolant issue:
1. air bubble - I pumped the hoses and leaned the bike over - coolant was 1100ml
2.Broken water pump(did you test the new one you put in?) tested - removed the impeller cover, bumped the motor, it spins
3.hole in rad or hoses pressure tested rad, all good, visually checked for leaks - nothing found!
4.calcification. possible.... I could add a weak vinegar solution?
5.blockage in rad Rad appears to flow - we temperature tested the inflow & outflow coolant temperature, it flows out a good 10 deg cooler than the in-flow.
6.broken thermostat (did you test the new one before putting it in?) Thermostat is new - i did not test it prior to installation, howver we believe it works as the rad stays cool until a point, then the hot water starts flowing through when the thermostat opens
7.incorrect coolant fill level Filled to the bulge on the neck of the rad where the cap fits in, after burping - a measured 1150ml was added, and i spilled a little from the drain plug on the right
8.Incorrect air/fuel mix so bike is running lean boiling coolant(happened to my dakar when I added mods so just made it more rich fixed the issue) No idea how to change this, its all run by the ECU, or can you adjust it?

Check this list and tick them off, if anyone wants to add to list go for it so we can help a fellow dog out to enjoy his new beasty. this bike is a revalation - I rode @Halfdaft 's XR650L a while back when we did Lekgalameetse, it was brilliant, but this handles completely differently! I am digging the fast steering, makes ruts & single-track a real pleasure!!

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:43 am »
Fill it then ride it and then fill again. Maybe this will solve a stubborn air pocket.Test a 3rd time and check if it helped.
Did you do any mods to the motorcycle like aftermarket exhaust/air fitler etc?

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:09 am »
Fill it then ride it and then fill again. Maybe this will solve a stubborn air pocket.Test a 3rd time and check if it helped.
Did you do any mods to the motorcycle like aftermarket exhaust/air fitler etc?

Thanks - I will try this - the fact that I added the correct amount of coolant made me think it was OK - but I will try again, and a third time if necessary!

Aftermarket - it has a Leo Vince on it, but not new, ie: it was on the bike for a while before I took the bike over - no other mods.

The bike just goes so well - starts first bump, idles immediately, its such a pleasure to ride! I really need to get to the bottom of this.....

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2019, 09:59:29 am »
Have you checked maybe for a leaky radiator or hose? It might have a hole in it and under load it starts leaking slowly and this might cause coolant loss and overheating issue.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:49 am »
Have you checked maybe for a leaky radiator or hose? It might have a hole in it and under load it starts leaking slowly and this might cause coolant loss and overheating issue.

Exactly what HalfDaft just suggested - that the Rad is OK up to 1.1Bar, but leaks at 1.2-1.5Bar (or the pipes), so I am going to clean the motor nicely later today, then ride around the neihbourhood for 40-50km and see whats what then.

I would hate to have to replace the rad.... $$$$$$