Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 8525 times)

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:37 am »
Disclaimer - I sell them!:
Wonder if a BoosterPlug will help preventing the problem?
These engines run lean (towards 14,7:1) to comply with Euro 4 regulations, increasing combustion chamber temperatures, and giving rise to all kinds of problems. The air cooled R1200's are known lean runners, and they temporarily seize because of heat (the pistons expand so that they start rubbing against the piston sleeves, with the pistons becoming physically smaller). A distinct piston knock when starting up is a tell tale. BoosterPlug adds 6% petrol under load (acceleration), deceleration and idle, (in open loop, whenever there is a change in rpm or TPS) and makes the engine run cooler (it solves the pinking issue on the 1200 air cooled motors and others). More petrol cools down the combustion process. I have had many reports of e.g. KTM 1190s running cooler and the cooling fan not activating as quickly. In Blitsie's case it will reduce combustion chamber heat. It might have helped to prevent overheating in the first place...
On the side: feedback from 650 riders are that the bike goes much better with one installed.

A Boosterplug will most certainly not prevent a motor overheating due to loss of coolant. And loss of coolant is the only thing that makes these motors overheat.

I have yet to see an R1200 "temporarily sieze" because of heat, even in the Karoo at 40+ temperatures.. 

The pinging issue on the twincam engines is purely a cam adjustment issue.  I have resolved numerous pinging twincams by just aligning the cams correctly.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21:10 pm »
Disclaimer - I sell them!:
Wonder if a BoosterPlug will help preventing the problem?
These engines run lean (towards 14,7:1) to comply with Euro 4 regulations, increasing combustion chamber temperatures, and giving rise to all kinds of problems. The air cooled R1200's are known lean runners, and they temporarily seize because of heat (the pistons expand so that they start rubbing against the piston sleeves, with the pistons becoming physically smaller). A distinct piston knock when starting up is a tell tale. BoosterPlug adds 6% petrol under load (acceleration), deceleration and idle, (in open loop, whenever there is a change in rpm or TPS) and makes the engine run cooler (it solves the pinking issue on the 1200 air cooled motors and others). More petrol cools down the combustion process. I have had many reports of e.g. KTM 1190s running cooler and the cooling fan not activating as quickly. In Blitsie's case it will reduce combustion chamber heat. It might have helped to prevent overheating in the first place...
On the side: feedback from 650 riders are that the bike goes much better with one installed.

A Boosterplug will most certainly not prevent a motor overheating due to loss of coolant. And loss of coolant is the only thing that makes these motors overheat.

Indeed, but take one step back. Running cooler might prevent warping (that causes blow past) in the first place. Extreme temperatures cause warping, and if it is a common problem on these engines, preventative steps should be best?
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2019, 02:41:50 pm »
Indeed, but take one step back. Running cooler might prevent warping (that causes blow past) in the first place. Extreme temperatures cause warping, and if it is a common problem on these engines, preventative steps should be best?

Not common - lets not go that far, but it is a known result of overheating due to coolant loss - they generally don't overheat like this, this motor was run hard and dry I believe (and I don't know the circumstances, so I am guessing) - also the rad on the X is quite small (not sure about the other 650 single BM's) compared to the XR650L for example, a contributing factor, but its not a common problem, far from it..... ! I am still interested in it though...

And my 1200 also had the "Ping" at the beginning, had the cams set and zero problems after that - even in 47deg Northern Namibia. I, on the other hand, nearly died..... No, really, I did - heatstroke......  :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jughead

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2019, 02:44:34 pm »

No, 70% of the overheating on these motors is caused by a pebble or something similar getting caught between the frame and the radiator which punctures it and it then pisses the coolant out.

The other 30% is either buggered waterpump seals, buggered waterpump impeller gears or just plain lack of maintenance.  I have one client in Namibia that has put, at the last service, 161000km on his 2000 Dakar, all without a boosterplug, and without overheating once.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:45:36 pm by Jughead »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2019, 03:30:16 pm »
@Jughead - for interest, do you have a F650 radiator handy to measure the size of the core (between the side sections) so just the cooling section, length & height, purely to see what the difference in size is to the Gx?

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Mad777max

« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2019, 04:35:27 pm »
they're not very big either on the Dakar. In summer it also runs quite warm. but doesn't overheat luckily.

Offline Jughead

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2019, 08:56:35 pm »
@Jughead - for interest, do you have a F650 radiator handy to measure the size of the core (between the side sections) so just the cooling section, length & height, purely to see what the difference in size is to the Gx?

Will do for you in the morning.

Offline Jughead

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #187 on: April 04, 2019, 08:19:51 am »

Here you go. 

1 - Length from inside the endcap.
2 - Height
3 - Width

The marks in the second photo alongside the tape measure is what I was referring to in my earlier post.  This was a pebble that was kicked up by the front wheel, which then gets caught between the frame and the radiator.  All 7 of those tubes are punctured.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:22:08 am by Jughead »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #188 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:46 am »
Thanks Jughead - that is the same size as Gx as far as I can tell - gives me a couple of options going forward.
The Gx also sits pretty close to the frame, but the rad is in-front of the frame, plastic fin/covers protecting it, but it does get mud clogging it pretty easily!

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2019, 01:25:07 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle First get it running properly without overheating because of coolant issues. Want to at least use the bike normally and not blow up :P . But just think after all this work how great the bike would run then.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:41 am »
@ClimbingTurtle First get it running properly without overheating because of coolant issues. Want to at least use the bike normally and not blow up :P . But just think after all this work how great the bike would run then.
Yes indeed - that is the plan currently - and the 80km or so i have ridden have been mighty fine - its a great ride!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Head & Barrel are back.....

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2019, 08:24:58 am »
Steve, did you strip the valves off before taking for skimming?

I once did not do that with a head and when it came back I luckily removed one valve before re-assembling the motor. The amount of grit and swarf that came out from under the valve springs and bucket was frightening. I suppose it got in there when the place "cleaned" the head.

Anyhow, lesson learnt. Took everything apart again and cleaned properly.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2019, 08:41:40 am »
Steve, did you strip the valves off before taking for skimming?

I once did not do that with a head and when it came back I luckily removed one valve before re-assembling the motor. The amount of grit and swarf that came out from under the valve springs and bucket was frightening. I suppose it got in there when the place "cleaned" the head.

Anyhow, lesson learnt. Took everything apart again and cleaned properly.

I did not - they advised it was not necessary - but I was planning to take the cup-washer clips out and push the valves down (open) to wash them out with a spray-bottle of paraffin, just to be safe - but thanks for the thought, always better to make sure I haven't missed something, input is valued!!

Sad story is that I wont get to do any work until probably Monday next week - heading to Loskop Dam on Friday morning at Sparrows for the "Wild Challenge" - 1/2-marathon on Saturday..... Why do I do this....?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:05 pm »
Do you have to fit a thicker gasket to compensate for the skimming, or was it so little that it will not make a difference? Especially since both mating surfaces were skimmed?
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2019, 01:23:12 pm »
Do you have to fit a thicker gasket to compensate for the skimming, or was it so little that it will not make a difference? Especially since both mating surfaces were skimmed?

Standard gasket - it was a minimal amount - wont have a noticeable impact on the compression.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:29 am »
Not much progress this last while, been away at Loskop for the half-marathon last weekend, but managed to clean the head up, spray it out with paraffin after removing the valves - not much grinding dust in there, but always better to be safe at this level!!

Also had some new bar-ends made, as well as a few bushes & stuff that I needed done to hold the oil tank, and the liner bushes for the fuel tank supports.

Also started the design for the rear fender supports - mine are cracked, so I will have some laser cut from Alu plate - 1.6mm - and drill them next week

More interesting things will happen soon - looking at a bracket to mount the Scotts Damper, as well as a fuel solution.....

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Ah finally see you got the head skimmed. Hope this solves the issue otherwise you going to blow your own head gasket hehe. If it's fixed and all good gimme a pm i'm also in Gauteng so can go and burn some fuel.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:20:49 pm by Superkazy »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:32 am »
So, roll on Easter Weekend, Friday involves a quick trip to @Halfdaft to grab some of this fine oil, he sold me a bottle as I could not find any on the East Rand (Well, not at less than R750 for 4-litres)

and back home - barrel on with a new base gasket, sikkled a bit, took it slow & steady, added a new hose as well, precautionary, you understand, as the other had a scorch mark on ....

Add the skimmed head, torque it doen in the correct order, put in the bolts that hold the head onto the top frame, tork them to 74Nm and.......

FFS!!!! the donerse M10 bolt has sheared off in the head......  :-\ Fork. Step away from the tools, slowly mind, get a chair and stop myself from throwing up..... Is this bike going to fight me the WHOLE WAY?????
WhatsApp Halfdaft, we discuss the options which are:-
a) Just leave it and carry on regardless...... Downside here is that the Rear shock mount locates on the back of the head, so if it flexes, it could potentially crack parts of the head....
b) Take the head off and try and get it out of the top of the frame - The chances of success are slim, as the sheared bolt is sticking out into the frame, so I cant slide it up & out - the upside is that there is some sheared bolt and there MIGHT be enough to grip with a vice-grip to get it out. Downside is that I will have to replace ANOTHER R600 head gasket.....  :'(
c) - Take the entire engine out and work on it on its side. Downside is that its still going to be difficult getting the head section out of the frame, and to take the motor out you have to remove the rear swingarm - moerse pain in the arse..... Upside is that a new head-gasket is not required......

What to do.........

After discussion, option b) is going to be the most viable......
But as Saturday was already dedicated to home-affairs, and I had a somewhat epic hangover, I only approached the Blitsie after lunch.......

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2019, 11:20:06 am »
My heart bleeds for you, you're a better man than me I would have given up long time ago. :deal: :(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za