Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 9392 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:58 am »
Eish...
B will allow you to weld another bolt on and take the broken one out,  drill it out, or as you say, screw it out as the bolt is not under tension any more.
Hou moed, you will get there soon! :thumleft:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »
After a moments reflection, because this is somewhat akin to a pilgrimage, I started looking at what needed to be done to remove the head, broken bolt in-situ, and realized that I could potentially spread the 2 arms of the frame to get the head out, I only need 5mm, maybe less....
Best way to do that is to loosen off all the lower frame arms and rear swingarm mounts to allow some "play" in the system, so first step is to remove the rear subframe, so that I can access the rear shock top mount, unbolt the top and swing the support bracket out of the way.... THEN remove all the torqued head bolts and get it ready for removal....

That took a while as I wanted to make sure I was getting the correct bits out in order... And then i grabbed a bottle jack, made up a quick support jig, and started pomping, and.....Nothing..... Mainly because I forgot to close the bleed screw on the jack...  :biggrin: Anyway, closed screw, slowly jacked the frame arms apart.....

And SUCCESS!! there was just enough room  to slide the head out, complete with broken bolt!

As you can see, there isnt enough to grab onto, but what I did manage to do, was drill a small flat onto the end, whilst it was still in the frame, using the adjuster as a guide - this would go some way in helping us out later....

Sunday morning I was off to @Halfdaft on the 1200, head tucked away safely in the top-box.....
After I got there, and inspection was completed, he whipped out the Bosch cordless drill and what I remember as a small Left-Hand drill bit, and proceeds to try and drill the broken stud, to get a hole to use an Eezi-Out - and while he is drilling, the bot actually starts un-turning itself!!! Well, a little bit anyway, so Eez-Out on, and bolt out, dress the helicoil, i load up and off home again - I am seriously pleased with my day so far!!

The offending broken cap-screw....

At this point i decided to use the head-gasket i had just put in, based on the fact that the bike hadnt even run with it in yet, and BMW is closed for another 2 days.....
I continued with the slow & methodical assembly, head, valve tappets, cover, rear spring & mount, airbox...

And then the rear sub-frame, including the fuel tank, rear fender etc..... And as I bolt in the long M8 mounting bolt (I replaced the 2 short ones, right at the beginning...) and the bolt strips....... I DESPAIR, I feel I may be cursed,or Blitsie is, or both..... BUT, I know I can get one on Tuesday at any rate......

Funny thing is, the Steel thread was screwed into Alu, and the thread in the Alu is not damaged, but the threaded steel capscrew.....  :eek7:

All was not lost though - after connecting everything back up, battery in, coolant & oil filled (And Spilled) he fired up after a couple of cranks, into a smooth idle.....
After running it up to temp, the fan kicked in & off again as required, so we know that is all working....
No signs of coolant or oil leaks, but then there wasnt last time either..... But in the absence of the rear sub-frame bolts, I will not attempt a ride for a day or 2!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:52:21 pm by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2019, 02:03:22 pm »
I think the problem is with those surgical gloves.  Poor bike is just waiting for you to check the old prostate. :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:29 pm »
I think the problem is with those surgical gloves.  Poor bike is just waiting for you to check the old prostate. :laughing4:

Proctology Gloves -  :thumleft:

I cut my thumb in the fight, trying to keep the k@k out of it - which didnt work anyway.....  :imaposer:

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2019, 03:28:57 pm »

I cut my thumb in the fight, trying to keep the k@k out of it - which didnt work anyway.....  :imaposer:

I wear the black gloves like that.  But then I find my hands don't want to work!  :o
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »

I wear the black gloves like that.  But then I find my hands don't want to work!  :o
:spitcoffee: :spitcoffee: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2019, 03:38:41 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Did you reuse old head bolts? Never really good idea to reuse head bolts as they stretch once installed. This is probably why the bolt sheared off perhaps? But my hats off to you ,you've got the patience of a monk. I would have long time ago already lit the bike on fire!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Did you reuse old head bolts? Never really good idea to reuse head bolts as they stretch once installed. This is probably why the bolt sheared off perhaps? But my hats off to you ,you've got the patience of a monk. I would have long time ago already lit the bike on fire!

No - re-used the bolts - the BMW manual doesnt specify that they need to be replaced (actually nuts, not bolts, the head bolts are studs), so I re-used them - they do make mention of what ones not to re-use, but this wasnt one of them.

This is actually a bolt that mounts the head to the frame, so not the head to the barrel.....

And I am too far in not to be patient - and I'm off to fetch the new cap-screw i need!!

Online BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2019, 03:45:36 pm »
And you STILL take the time to take pics!!!!!!

You are a special breed!
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline GRUNT

• Grunt
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2019, 04:10:30 pm »
This is my favourite thread at the moment, I come and have a look see everyday, to say that Blitsie is challenge( pun intended) is an understatement!
Hats off to you turtle, I can't wait for the first RR with this bike :thumleft:
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Online Ganjora

« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »
Unbelievable.
From a reader's point of view this is the thread that doesn't stop giving!
Good luck.

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2019, 07:55:26 pm »
Yes, this one is close to my heart.

Offline Superkazy

« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
@ClimbingTurtle Generally rule of thumb you want to replace nuts and bolts/studs that get loaded quite often this includes the suspension bolts from time to time stretch and snap and engine mount bolts etc. It's just a rule of thumb I use that saves me from having trouble in the future like you are experiencing now hehe. But luckily you got it out. Snapped bolts are a b****. Hopefully you can get the bike running in proper order soon.

Offline Supervan

« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:12 am »
I'm too scared to check the valve clearances on my XCountry. This thread (does this count as a pun?) makes me look bad  :'(
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2019, 08:37:54 am »
HE RUNS!!

:biggrin:

I went for a short 14km ride last night after replacing the sub-frame bolt - seems fine, no evidence of coolant dripping from the overflow pipe, although the overflow bottle seemed about 5mm short of coolant, but there are always the odd air-bubble in the system that needs to work its way out, no evidence of oil leaks either, which is rather nice!

This morning I checked the rad after leaving it to cool overnight, just about spot-on!! Yay!!

Tonight we wash him, and then the testing begins tomorrow....

Might need to check the valve gaps again, seems a little rattly for my liking.....

Roll on Sunday
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:21:55 am by ClimbingTurtle »

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2019, 09:11:12 am »
Well done... hopelik het jy nou vir Blitsie gewys wie is baas en dat jy al sy geite nou uitgesorteer het. :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R, 1982 Honda XL 600R

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2019, 09:15:32 am »
HE RUNS!!

I went for a short 14km ride last night after replacing the sub-frame bolt - seems fine, no evidence of coolant dripping from the overflow pipe, although the overflow bottle seemed about 5mm short of coolant, but there are always the odd air-bubble in the system that needs to work its way out, no evidence of oil leaks either, which is rather nice!

This morning I checked the rad after leaving it to cool overnight, just about spot-on!! Yay!!

Might need to check the valve gaps again, seems a little rattly for my liking.....

Roll on Sunday

Nice job, I assume you are taking her to the playpen behind boat lake soon...... :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :3some: :3some: :3some: :3some: :3some:
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
HE RUNS!!

Roll on Sunday

Nice job, I assume you are taking her to the playpen behind boat lake soon...... :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :3some: :3some: :3some: :3some: :3some:

Yup - I wanted to pop up last night, but just ran out of light! Might be able to go after work today, or certainly tomorrow after work - I finish after lunch....  :thumleft:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2019, 09:30:50 am »
HE RUNS!!

Roll on Sunday

Yay!☺

Just one thing. Have you not considered changing Blitsie's gender from "he" to "SHE"? It just makes so much more sense...

I mean, the amount of time you spent on erm, it, some people might think you strange if it is a HE. if it is a she, no problem, because we know they need lots of tlc :peepwall:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:33:08 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2019, 09:40:56 am »
HE RUNS!!

Roll on Sunday

Yay!☺

Just one thing. Have you not considered changing Blitsie's gender from "he" to "SHE"? It just makes so much more sense...

I mean, the amount of time you spent on erm, it, some people might think you strange if it is a HE. if it is a she, no problem, because we know they need lots of tlc :peepwall:

True This.
However @tankgirl is, well, a lady, and she named him Blitsie, so I am not sure of the protocol surrounding the renaming/re-sexing of a bike.....  :o
I believe a small weekend away ride to the hills of the Wolkberg Reserve, to further contemplate the change, to make fire, and drink beer, and to ride, not necessarily in that order....  :imaposer: