Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….  (Read 7717 times)

Online GazGaz

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: The Story Of The Resurrection of Blitsie….
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2019, 12:28:08 pm »
Nice job on X I need a good workshop for my builds instead of getting someone else to do it
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »
HE RUNS!!

:biggrin:

I went for a short 14km ride last night after replacing the sub-frame bolt - seems fine, no evidence of coolant dripping from the overflow pipe, although the overflow bottle seemed about 5mm short of coolant, but there are always the odd air-bubble in the system that needs to work its way out, no evidence of oil leaks either, which is rather nice!

This morning I checked the rad after leaving it to cool overnight, just about spot-on!! Yay!!

Tonight we wash him, and then the testing begins tomorrow....

Might need to check the valve gaps again, seems a little rattly for my liking.....

Roll on Sunday

Yay!☺

Just one thing. Have you not considered changing Blitsie's gender from "he" to "SHE"? It just makes so much more sense...

I mean, the amount of time you spent on erm, it, some people might think you strange if it is a HE. if it is a she, no problem, because we know they need lots of tlc :peepwall:

True This.
However @tankgirl is, well, a lady, and she named him Blitsie, so I am not sure of the protocol surrounding the renaming/re-sexing of a bike.....  :o
I believe a small weekend away ride to the hills of the Wolkberg Reserve, to further contemplate the change, to make fire, and drink beer, and to ride, not necessarily in that order....  :imaposer:

Now that sounds lekker!!!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2019, 09:51:33 am »
So Saturday I decided to do some Speedy Upgrades at the last minute, I decided I wanted the GPS mounted and a power source, as we are testing Blitsie on Sunday morning, so I managed to whip these up from some off-cuts laying around.

Pity the GPS is in the way of my Speedo, but you cant win them all......  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:52:16 am by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2019, 10:07:45 am »
So Sunday we rode - met @Halfdaft at the R59N Blockhouse at a very reasonable 8am, and headed NW into the hills, dales, logging camps, tracks, mud and a mighty, mighty good time...

Blitsie performed well, but I had this niggling doubt.... SHE didnt start quite as easily, there was the odd backfire, seemed a little down on power, and there was a rattle at the top-end, like a loose rocker-arm or something, a loose tappet......  :P

Anyway, off home after a great ride - damn, I am unfit, I ache in places that shouldn't ache....., Anyway, after a pressure wash and a sponge bath, I checked fluids, found that they were low, so I had a beer. Blitsie was fine tho, coolant and oil PERFECT! That's a relief, we have solved the "Vanishing Coolant" mystery.....
s
So then I decided that I might have mis-timed the cams, maybe out by one tooth on the exhaust, or inlet perhaps? Ony one way to find out, whip the panels off, airbox off, injectors etc., and off with the valve covers.

First - check the cam-sprocket alignment at TDC - spot on, so thats not the problem....
Second, check the valce gaps.
Inlet - under 0.05mm, so spot on.
Outlet - one is 0.25mm, perfect. Other one is 0.95mm........ Now thats a problem.....  :o - WTF happened?

Remove the cams then, take the bucket of the one exhaust valve top and were the hell is the shim????? Vanished!! How does a shim vanish off the top of the valve spring cover, in a bucket, so a sealed area???? Thought process kicks in - go look in the discarded plastic bags, all neatly labeled, and....

How, in the name of all things motorcycle related, did that get left out??????

Long and short, replaced it - bucket was not damaged luckily - replaced all the bits - tap the starter button and she fires up first swing.....

So - more testing Wednesday!!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2019, 10:25:05 am »
You are becoming a pro in fixing your bike, this is the best way to learn the "ins and outs" of the bike ;) 

Job well done :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

The following users thanked this post: ClimbingTurtle

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2019, 04:32:49 pm »
Just a question...did you rebore or hone the barrel? I stand under correction but I believe the BMW 650 barrel is nikasil plated.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2019, 05:05:56 pm »
Ummm and you didn’t notice when you checked the valve clearances after fitting the cams?  :sip: just asking  :biggrin:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2019, 07:23:25 am »
Just a question...did you rebore or hone the barrel? I stand under correction but I believe the BMW 650 barrel is nikasil plated.

Correct - Nikasil coated - and we didn't bore it because it still had the original cross-hatching marks on it, and we also had it measured in a temperature controlled measuring room, x- and y-axis, top, middle & bottom of the barrel and it was all well within spec.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:05 am »
Ummm and you didn’t notice when you checked the valve clearances after fitting the cams?  :sip: just asking  :biggrin:

And I wondered if the question was going to be asked....  :imaposer:

I did measure, but before i took the cams off - theory being that there is no adjustment anyway, so if its measured before removal (manual recommends this) and then I reassembled them. I didn't check again after assembly - I mean why bother......  :eek7: and that's where the lesson was learned.....

I am very glad the bucket wasn't damaged!!!

But in all honesty, I should have worked out something was amiss when i tried to start it, it battled a bit, back-fired twice, and sounded like there was a tappet knock (which there was) - the only downside was a slight performance loss (one exhaust valve is opening late & closing early) and it just felt "off"
At that point i should have re-checked, but I was impatient......

Offline Shaun500

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2019, 06:37:19 pm »

Correct - Nikasil coated - and we didn't bore it because it still had the original cross-hatching marks on it, and we also had it measured in a temperature controlled measuring room, x- and y-axis, top, middle & bottom of the barrel and it was all well within spec.
Ah ok that's interesting. My friend is quite into two strokes and told me there is only one place in JHB that does nicasil plating.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2019, 07:20:58 pm »

Ah ok that's interesting. My friend is quite into two strokes and told me there is only one place in JHB that does nicasil plating.
properly yes just the one. 👍😎

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2019, 08:23:37 am »

properly yes just the one. 👍😎

Whom, pray tell?

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2019, 09:27:22 am »
Did about 110km yesterday morning with Halfdaft and a new WD, then home to inspect - there is a small leak on the drive-shaft (suspect it worn), but nothing to stop a good ride! We rode quite hard (for me anyway), some great tar to open up the top-end, some awesome twin- and single-track, the X handles the tight stuff brilliantly, I cannot get over what I've been missing!!

Home lfor a was...

Cheers!!!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2019, 09:28:13 am »
NOW the Mods & Farkles begin - the story has not ended.....

:biggrin:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:43 am »
Except for the leaky final drive seal, she's going like stink - i am loving this bike!!

Final Drive is leaking a little, not too major, but as I already replaced the seal, it COULD be that a new drive-shaft is required, which would be a little tragic as then every single gasket needs to be replaced again.....

Ah well!!

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »
When you start saying Ah Well, it is definitely a SHE!☺

It is interesting to note the unintended consequences of wear and tear - it is not always taken into consideration when taking on an older or high km vehicle.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »
Except for the leaky final drive seal, she's going like stink - i am loving this bike!!

Final Drive is leaking a little, not too major, but as I already replaced the seal, it COULD be that a new drive-shaft is required, which would be a little tragic as then every single gasket needs to be replaced again.....

Ah well!!
is the bearing removable from outside, bearing and seal would be my first option 👍

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2019, 07:26:10 am »

Ah well!!
is the bearing removable from outside, bearing and seal would be my first option 👍

Bearing no, its internal, as well as being a brand new sealed unit, but seal, yes, that's an external press-in.

BUT there is no excuse for stoopid. Cant be excused. It's just doff.

Offline Piet

« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2019, 09:10:47 am »

Bearing no, its internal, as well as being a brand new sealed unit, but seal, yes, that's an external press-in.

BUT there is no excuse for stoopid. Cant be excused. It's just doff.
Is the final drive seal another term for counter-sprocket shaft seal? If that seal is ANYTHING like the KLR's, then I would replace that once more before going all-in for another major operation.

I replaced mine a while back and it is UNBELIEVABLY prone to damage. I damaged the first (no visual damage, but slow seepage) and then replaced again to achieve success. I sleeved the shaft by folding oil-covered paper around it so that the seal can slide over without damage.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:13:37 am by Piet »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

Is the final drive seal another term for counter-sprocket shaft seal? If that seal is ANYTHING like the KLR's, then I would replace that once more before going all-in for another major operation.

Yup - thats the one!!