Talk to me about lightweight DS options on a budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lem

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi Guys

If money was no object I would say that the new CRF250 Rally might well be the perfect bike for my current needs.

I am not a fast rider, but I do enjoy puttering around on quiet back roads and smelling the roses. With a young family I can't get away for too long to hop on a big bike and ride to the next province to go and play there. That is the reason why I recently sold my 1150GS. It started to gather dust.

I do have a lovely little flatbed box trailer with a built in ramp tailgate. I have transported a XT600e on there before, but I would love something even lighter, like a 250 scrambler that I can easily load & tie down myself. Then I can take the family with me down to George for instance from where I can go and do bike trips, hitting the first dirt roads you get out of town or some more technical tracks like the side entry of Baviaans & the Ben10 challenge. I'd like the small bike to take me to the places I would rather never attempt going with the 1150, given my average riding skill. 

The purpose of this thread is not to try and find the most bike for my budget. If I had a R 25k KLR650 for instance I would be inclined to ride it over long distances and then it will simply gather dust and a flat battery like my 1150 did. The purpose is rather to gather info on the best possible lightweight solution around the 250cc mark, based on my needs.

I would like the bike to be relatively modern,  reliable economical, preferably electric start, with taller gearing so that I can cruise at 110kph on the open road without stressing the motor too much. (that is why I like the 6-speed options.) I also want service intervals of around 5000kms and not the 10 hour enduro bike stuff. There must be good spares availability. I also don't want some early 80s 6volt electrics kickstart only, drum brake thumper as I have a degree in commerce and not in mechanical engineering. I want to ride the bike, maintain it and then sell it and not restore it. 

• My first choice would be a Yamaha TTR250. I have always wanted one and the specs looks lovely. Don't have any questions to ask around them. I know they are freakin amazing...just scarce, hence my thread on other options.

I like the Suzuki DR250 Djebel a lot as well, I'm just not too fond of the 90s paint schemes and purple rims you often find on them, but otherwise the bike's specs are similar to the TTR, so it will work.

How is a Honda XR250 Tornado to live with? Does it perform 80% as well as the TTR & Djebel? I reckon it's a bit softer?

Then...on to the kickstart options. Does anyone know of a good old Honda XLR250R ? Are they difficult starters? Do they need servicing every 200 yards or not?
Then, two leftfield options that sometimes pops up within budget:

1) older model Suzuki DRZ400S - I see they only have 5 gears. If I ride a quiet backroad for two hours at 110kph without stopping...will the motor last? Or will it pop? I am a bit scared of them being a bit highly strung. Advise me if I'm underestimating that motor.

2) and then there is the Yamaha DT175. When I started riding at school in the late 90s, a DT was my absolute dream bike as a laaitie and I simply couldn't afford one at the time. Will the 2stroke DT be alright if I cruise 110kph for two hours straight? I yearn to own one, although I know it has drum brakes front and rear  :lol8: and probably only has kickstart. How does it's performance compare to ... let's say the Honda XR250 Tornado?

Ai...where is 2SD when you need him  :patch: