Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The UAE...  (Read 13855 times)

Offline Vuurmaker

Re: The UAE...
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2019, 09:21:24 pm »
I know you are doing it but check every aspect of the HDPE composition, third party testing and welding inspection, cleaning and certification. I have a ticklish little problem at the moment with HDPE.

Very interesting project.
Please tell us more?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2019, 09:52:17 pm »
I know you are doing it but check every aspect of the HDPE composition, third party testing and welding inspection, cleaning and certification. I have a ticklish little problem at the moment with HDPE.

Very interesting project.
Please tell us more?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@husky  so you going to tell us about your ticklish problemo?
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Online immigrant

« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:59 am »
What would those fences next to the road keep in (or out)? I worked in Abu Dhabi for a few months and canít recall seeing it next to the road....but my driver thought he was better and faster than Michael Schumacher and itís possible it was all a blur because of the speed he was going
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:37:26 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2019, 02:39:40 am »
What would those fences next to the road keep in (or out)? I worked in Abu Dhabi for a few months and canít recall seeing it next to the road....but my driver thought he was better and faster than Michael Schumacher and itís possible it was all a blur because of the speed he was going

These last photos were taken in Saudi. The fences are there to keep the camels and occasional cow off the road.

The road between Abu Dhabi and Dubai is basically fenced off for most of the way by a brick wall with steel bars on top. That is to keep the wild animals of the Sheikh off the road and people out. Most of the roads are fenced off.

The Sheikh of Abu Dhabi does have thousands of wild animals that he keep in camps all over.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Online immigrant

« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2019, 05:30:06 am »
[The Sheikh of Abu Dhabi does have thousands of wild animals....
Thatís why I was there, but on one his islands most of the time. That was 14 years ago. Time flies.....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:32:50 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2019, 06:30:13 pm »
What an awesome experience this has to be.

Keeping in mind the alternative to this job.

And of course all the cultural difference you get to experience along the way.

Thank you for posted no up and giving us a good understanding of some of the concepts and motivations along the way.

Mooi Bly en mooi Ry.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: Skaiidawg

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2019, 10:30:03 pm »
On occasion we bump into some local wildlife. I do not know what type of owl this is. Not very big, I would guess about 150-200mm in height.

According to Wiki its the Little Owl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_owl

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2019, 10:51:18 pm »
Sunbird....fast fuckers...difficult to photograph

Then of course you get the storks...  :biggrin:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2019, 06:00:01 pm »
I was doing some odds and ends the other day, something slipped out of my hand and trying to catch it my little finger got caught and end up like this...

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2019, 06:02:10 pm »
Basically all flowers are being imported to the UAE, great was my surprise to see this here..

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2019, 06:19:55 pm »
The holy month of Ramadan, for Muslims, just finished last week. For those that are not familiar with Ramadan, I will explain briefly. Basically muslims have to fast from dawn till dusk. Now when you are not in a predominately muslim country, you as a non-muslim can eat and drink when and where you want, however in the UAE, Bahrain, Saudi, Oman etc you as a non-muslim are not allowed to eat and drink in public during ramadan, you can eat/drink but not where the general muslim can see you eat or drink. So in the UAE all restaurants, cafes eateries etc are covered or partitioned so that you cannot see from the outside people are eating on the inside. Here a couple of pics to show what I mean.

Working hours are also reduced to only six hours per day, so you can imagine a lot of things slow down dramatically during day time. When Iftar is announced, the time in the evening they can break their fast, everything light up and they mingle and feast until the wee hours of the morning before every thing start again

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:25:24 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2019, 07:05:00 pm »
We went to see what the harbour in Khorfakan looks like but got a little lost here....

and ended here, not quite like the SA place....

at least our music in the car was good.....

Oh before I forget here is a picture of Khorfakan

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2019, 09:03:32 pm »
And on a serious note this happened on Thursday...

In my last post there was a series of pictures about Khorfakan, the attacked ships are just off the coast from those pictures

https://www.dailysabah.com/mideast/2019/06/13/two-tankers-damaged-in-suspected-attack-off-uae-coast

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/14/us-accuses-iran-of-detaining-crew-after-oil-tanker-attack

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2019, 12:04:34 am »
I was doing some odds and ends the other day, something slipped out of my hand and trying to catch it my little finger got caught and end up like this...

DIY repair??
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2019, 07:38:38 am »
Does UAE use nuclear reactors for power?

They are using coal and gas. A nuclear power plant is being built now and nearing completion as far as I know.
They mainly use gas as it is cheap there, almost a waste product in Combined Cycle Gas Turbines (CCGT) a pretty clean process compared to coal.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2019, 12:21:10 pm »

DIY repair??

Yes, just pulled it straight with a slight sphincter movement.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2019, 03:29:54 pm »
You read here and there of Safas in foreign lands who long for SA products. There is a shop here in Dubai that do import South African products and looking at what is on display and how fast the stocks are going , they do have a winner.

Some of the stuff

We get Canada Dry's version of Creme Soda here but it is not green it is brown, also does not taste the same as....

Lek ek nou my lippe af vir a Gummy Berry Juice....

Dis mos @Carrots se stapel drankie...

@Mr Zog

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2019, 03:32:55 pm »

Offline Sprocketbek

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2019, 05:13:09 pm »
Yes but......I have a recipe for something that requires fish paste. Like Redro or Peck's Anchovette.
I searched high and low......eventually substituted it with chopped up canned anchovies.

Never realized other people don't eat fish paste on toast???  :scratch:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2019, 06:22:01 pm »
Yes but......I have a recipe for something that requires fish paste. Like Redro or Peck's Anchovette.
I searched high and low......eventually substituted it with chopped up canned anchovies.

Never realized other people don't eat fish paste on toast???  :scratch:

Have you been to this shop?

I waff wedwoe.....is'nt it how that ad of yesteryear go?