Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The UAE...  (Read 13934 times)

Offline Skaiidawg

Re: The UAE...
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2020, 10:17:11 pm »
Is this the spot where they have that MOERSE zipline??

No, the Zipline is in the Ras Al Khaimah area at Jabal Jais.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:24:33 am by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2020, 10:21:24 pm »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Crankshaft

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2020, 07:51:47 am »
Is this the spot where they have that MOERSE zipline??

No, the Zipline is in the Ras Al Khaimah area at Jabal Jais.

Oooh ok.  :thumleft:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2020, 01:26:18 pm »
For the ones that have visited the UAE, they will be aware that the roads are top notch. The main road, E11 (Sheikh Zayed Road) between Abu Dhabi and Dubai is a 4-lane highway with speed limit of 140km/h, trucks and busses on the other hand is limited to 80km/h, also trucks and busses are allowed only in the 2 outside lanes.  Parallel to the E11 is the E311, also connecting Dubai with Abu Dhabi. The E311 is also a 4 lane highway with the same rules applied to it.

Bear in mind these are taken during C19 conditions.

Within all city limits, busses and trucks are only allowed at certain times to ease congestion.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2020, 01:29:05 pm »
So I woke up on the morning of 6 February 2018, jumped on the bike and head of to work in Abu Dhabi. I took the E311. Just outside of Dubai I encountered the 1st patch of rather dense fog, visibility was about 400 metres. Slowed down a bit, the fog lifted after about 2 kms, however the patches became more and more. Pulled into a petrol station for much need juice and as I pulled out, I saw a police car behind me with lights on, holding back the traffic. Thought to myself to get in front of him as I don’t want to sit behind him for whatever reason.
Viz was fairly good, about 1000m at that stage, but then just like a proper Sunday night curry do to your stomach and force you to not fart, in fear of a wet-fart….the fog was engulfing me and I slow down to a crawl in the slow lane and I a came to a stand-still with lots of cars in front of me also at stand-still with all hazard lights on. I parked next to the barrier and waited as now it dawned on me the reason for the police car from earlier.
We were later turned around to go back to an offramp to divert to the E11 and then onwards to Abu Dhabi. I got to work about 4 hours late, not really knowing what caused the turn around.
This video was the second or third occurrence on that spot and it all happened about 1 km in front off me.

After that accident these were put into place and the police do enforce the law.

Come to think about it later, I was late that morning and I could only think what could have happened if I left for work on time.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2020, 01:30:57 pm »
On a side note… these signs frequent the road and I always wondered what they meant. After a long time, I somehow worked out that it shows the distance to the border between the emirates. An emirate is like a province in South Africa. Wonder why that information is so important to show on a sign next to the road.

Now for the okes (read - not KLR riders  :peepwall: ) who have a heavy right hand or foot, this is the road for you. Al Ain – Abu Dhabi highway….

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #226 on: September 05, 2020, 10:57:44 pm »
Man alive. I would move there just to be able to go 160...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2020, 03:13:02 am »
I'm also glad you weren't involved in all that carnage!

On the bike you would have toast man!   :eek7:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2020, 02:02:29 am »
 :sip:

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2020, 08:09:05 am »
On 1 of our excursions we went to Khorfakkan and found this dirt road leading to the top of a hill and this old watch tower. This was in 2013.

The view from the top towards the city of Khorfakkan

Panorama towards the Khorfakkan harbour

Fast forward to 2020 and we found that the place have been revamped and made as a proper look out point and with a path leading to the highest part of the mountain.

Rules....no WD bashes... :deal:

The we saw this little guy.....

Now how will a small kitten like that end up on top of  mountain where there is no water or food? Can only have been dumped there...humans...the bad ones.. >:(.. say no more.
Any case we took him in

Off to the vet....he was dehydrated, hungry, scared and had a wound under his right front leg, but other wise healthy.......

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2020, 08:20:18 am »
He weighed less than 800 grams

Zurie stayed 2 weeks at the vet for observation and to see if any other nasties might appear. Here he is when we visited him

Then he came home and this is what the little rascal is looking like now. Happy with his other brothers and sisters.

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2020, 10:11:03 am »
Awesome thread, Eugene!
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

The following users thanked this post: Skaiidawg

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2020, 10:18:49 am »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2020, 12:42:17 am »
Thank you for saving the kitty's life. Good man  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Skaiidawg