Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fuel gauge on 800 XCX  (Read 218 times)

Offline Skolla

Fuel gauge on 800 XCX
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:17:27 pm »
Is there anyone who had the same problem,and how to solve it,please.The problem is,when refueling the gauge took about anything between 40 to 60km to rise to full again,depending of the amount of fuel that was still in the bike before refueling:2016 model,it start on a trip to Lesotho in December,thx :thumleft:

Offline jogi_c

Re: Fuel gauge on 800 XCX
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:32 pm »
Following.

Also have issues with mine. Does not show km's left. Just the low fuel warning light comes on.

Online DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:28:09 pm »
the Tiger fuel guages where always slow to respond to new fuel, but 40km is moer long, the 2015 and newer bikes were much better at reflecting the fuel you put in.  You might have a faulty sender unit, as far as I know the sender, pump etc are all enclosed in a single unit that fits inside the tank from the bottom.

My Tiger 1050 used to take between 2 and 5 km to reflect properly in general, my 14 800XC is quite a bit better but it every so often doesn't show the real range straight away, I expect it is probably due to the algorithms in the computer, after refuelling I have had anything from 250 to 350km as my displayed range.

On the Tigers, the fuel light comes on with between 70 to 80km left on the range display. When your range gets to zero, then you are on your reserve proper, I filled up yesterday, range to go showed 35km, I put in just over 14 liters, that was to the wire, which means my reserve is around 4 to 5litres after I hit zero range. (depending on how I am riding of course)  , new displayed range was 270km, did 300km and range now shows 8km to go.

On my 1050, my 800 and on a 1200 I have been able to do at least 50km after the zero reading and not run out of fuel, but I was riding reasonably gently.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:42:59 pm by DouglasN »
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Offline Skolla

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:32:21 pm »
I agree,mine from new was also like that and my previous one,dont know,the bike is now only 2 years old(29/12/16) just after the warrentee expired,i wonder if a diagnostic test will show the problem?thx :'(

Offline Skolla

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 04:32:42 pm »
Hi jogi_c,i just read on adventure rider that to much freeplay on your clutch lever can cause this type of problems,i know my freeplay is to much because if i want to engage speedcontrol i have to press the clutch lever forward,find that out on my recent trip to Lesotho,i will try with the correct freeplay,i like enough freeplay specialy on technical stuff ::)

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 09:05:01 am »
Hi jogi_c,i just read on adventure rider that to much freeplay on your clutch lever can cause this type of problems,i know my freeplay is to much because if i want to engage speedcontrol i have to press the clutch lever forward,find that out on my recent trip to Lesotho,i will try with the correct freeplay,i like enough freeplay specialy on technical stuff ::)

Thank you for that. will have a look

Offline Skolla

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 02:07:46 pm »
Hi jogi_c,i adjust my bikes clutch freeplay and fill it up,after 400m the gauge jump up to the 7th bar,not 8th,ride it for 65 km and fill up again,after 400m it jumps to full,8 blocks,so yes,clutch freeplay plays a BIG role,i wont say that it solve all fuel gauge problems  :thumleft:

Offline Lou1

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:05:51 pm »
 :thumleft:

Thx for the share.

Will def keep this in mind.

:)