Short trip South to the Sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Once in a while a free morning comes along. So I got hold of frankmac and arranged a trip South to find the sand.

It was a beautiful, HOT, sunny morning when we left the Engen garage in search of adventure. We crossed over the Umtamvuna into the Transkei and the adventure began. Fortunately, after 20min of dodging taxis we could relax as we turned off onto the gravel roads.

The winding section of concrete was a little bit of cheating, but it's the only way over this river, and was a good place for a break.

On the way back we where mobbed by a gang of small boys at this stop, was somewhat less relaxing. And by then all our money and sweets where used up, disappointed boys. But I digress...

Later on we stopped near a small waterfall to eat chocolates and admire the view.

frankmac came perilously close to the edge, I think he spied the beach beyond and fancied cooling off. Was a bit of a drop off though. Luckily, sense prevailed!

Meanwhile our bikes baked in the warm sun and wished they could also dip their boots in the water

After some more gravel road, jeeptrack, een spoor, vyf spoor, criss-crossing tracks covering hills and gulleys, we got to the destination. Dunes stretched as far as the eye could see. As long as you where crouching near the ground so couldn't see very far. And beyond the dunes, the ocean! Yes there was ocean at the Engen garage at the start of the ride too. But it's always more rewarding after hours in the saddle.

Frankmac headed out into the sand first, I took some photos while listening to the sound of the DR fading away. Then I joined him, though I must admit, not having ridden for a while, my sand legs where rather rusty... I may have fallen down the face of a dune. But then, if no-one took a photo, did it really happen?

The sand was a mix of fairly firm sections littered with small round rocks, with nice soft dunes in between. I may also have been bucked over the handlebars when the front end dug in at the base of a small dune. All these hypotheticals, pity frankmac did not have his camera handy. He did not admit to any falls.

After a nice break, some droewors and time admiring the view, enjoying the midday, cloudless sky without a breath of wind, we needed to get back on the bikes to get some airflow through the gear! Way back home was uneventful, we took the straighter, longer gravel path back, not as pretty as the winding road there, and passed out of EC back in to KZN civilization.

Next time I'll try give more warning for anyone who may want to join.