Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding experience and riding abilities  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Kortbroek

Re: Riding experience and riding abilities
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2019, 08:02:46 pm »
Why do I feel a “So in light of a poll and a seemingly need for training XYZ will be providing trading - cost X amount” thread coming up soon?
So what if someone wants to do that? I see zero problem with forum vendors getting input on possible business ideas here. Judging from your post you do?

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Your judgement is incorrect sir!
I don’t see a problem with it at all. There is never enough to learn!
It was merely an observation from the history of these types of polls.
Haha fair enough.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Mpandla

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2019, 07:44:22 am »

Don't get me wrong , I find nothing wrong with people sliding around , wheelying , and generally riding hard , there is a time and place for that and I have had weekends riding with some of my friends where we have done all of the above while riding a metre apart from each other the whole time . But we all know each others riding abilities . The windgat type I am referring are those that will tend to ride with slower , less experienced riders while 'showing' off their abilities and in the process being a danger to others .

This is what bothers me. But you learn to spot them. The ones that will pull away from the group, spraying everyone with dust and rocks. Powersliding every single corner or non corner, to show off to the newbies. But as your own skills grow, you start to realize the complete lack of skills on their part.
But then at a break, a novice will look at them and think.. mm.. I must ask them for advice as they go faster. And some of the advice they give is shocking!
KTM 690
Mpandla - The bald one

Offline Dux

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2019, 07:57:12 am »

Don't get me wrong , I find nothing wrong with people sliding around , wheelying , and generally riding hard , there is a time and place for that and I have had weekends riding with some of my friends where we have done all of the above while riding a metre apart from each other the whole time . But we all know each others riding abilities . The windgat type I am referring are those that will tend to ride with slower , less experienced riders while 'showing' off their abilities and in the process being a danger to others .

This is what bothers me. But you learn to spot them. The ones that will pull away from the group, spraying everyone with dust and rocks. Powersliding every single corner or non corner, to show off to the newbies. But as your own skills grow, you start to realize the complete lack of skills on their part.
But then at a break, a novice will look at them and think.. mm.. I must ask them for advice as they go faster. And some of the advice they give is shocking!

Exactly , scary isn't it
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:46 am »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:46:14 am by Dwerg »
KTM 690R, 790ADV

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2019, 09:22:54 am »
This may be shocking advice to novices, but it is the benefit of my own real world experience.

One way to gain experience is to fall off and hurt yourself. Either physically and/or financially.

While it won't guarantee that you won't do it again, each successive  time drives home the lesson that caution is the better part of exuberance. :3some:

Offline Mikerider

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • When in doubt....paint it black
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2019, 02:13:35 pm »
My parents bought me my 1st bike, a Suzuki GT50 when I was 15. They only had one condition...this had to be my 1st and last bike. Fast forward 40 years and 13 bikes... I have never been without a bike since that day  >:D.

I do way too little gravel road trips. We keep talking about it but life keeps happening and the next trip never seems to materialise. I hate commuting, it kills my love of riding but I hate the damn Cape Town traffic more  :dousing:. The crappy part is, my wife commutes with me on the bike so there is even more pressure to not leave our kids motherless or fatherless.

Only had 2 wipe-outs, both on tar. Fist one with that Suzuki GT50 around a corner  :(. Slow puncture in front wheel that I did not notice. Tar swallowed my ass just wearing T-shirt shorts and plakkies  ::). Second time with the F650GS I had. Hitting a traffic circle at the usual speed not taking into account the new tires fitted the day before. Full gear, no issues, just a bruised body and ego...