Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2019 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Sheepman

Re: 2019 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
Brilliant  :thumleft: Can't wait for the next chapter  ;)

Offline Dustman

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • "I am not confused at times"
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:04 pm »
This is like popcorn, once started you can't stop.  :ricky: :ricky:
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2019, 10:10:17 pm »
Excellent as always thanks for sharing
BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US.

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
Meow....
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2019, 09:09:11 am »
So Wry shares the RR with some non bikers who asked him if he saw the lions... to which he replies: "Lions?"

The story goes that a heli safari to Suguta had landed in the valley when they spotted lions nearby that showed too much interest so they took off. Landing several KM away to climb on foot to a viewpoint, they got a shock when they spotted the lions running full tilt to their position. It was a race to the chopper and the bipedal group only just made it, with the lions jumping after them trying to catch a ski...

Now I don't know if that's true or not... we didn't see a hell of a lot of game to support crazy assed lions... but it would have made our little siesta under the palms less relaxing if I'd heard the story before the ride!

:snorting:

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »
 Great report  :drif: thanks for sharing .
FTS

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Meow....
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2019, 01:08:07 pm »
So Wry shares the RR with some non bikers who asked him if he saw the lions... to which he replies: "Lions?"

The story goes that a heli safari to Suguta had landed in the valley when they spotted lions nearby that showed too much interest so they took off. Landing several KM away to climb on foot to a viewpoint, they got a shock when they spotted the lions running full tilt to their position. It was a race to the chopper and the bipedal group only just made it, with the lions jumping after them trying to catch a ski...

Now I don't know if that's true or not... we didn't see a hell of a lot of game to support crazy assed lions... but it would have made our little siesta under the palms less relaxing if I'd heard the story before the ride!

:snorting:

:laughing4:

Thats hillarious!!

Back in 1994 - yeah, a while ago, RR to follow at some point, my cousin @Roadcat and I were travelling from Iringa to Dar-es-Salaam on the A7, the national road through southern Tanzania, riding a pair of XT500's.
The road actually travels through the very north of the Mukumi Nature Reserve, so there is wildlife around (Well, there was, no idea about now....)
Well, at some point I pulled over to check a big male elephant standing tummy deep in a bog eating the grass (wet season) on the right of the road, about 60-80m away, I was casually sitting on the bike, which happened to be running & in gear....  :o
My cousin rides past at a reasonably slow speed, and points to my left, behind me according to my view of the elephant, I turned and there, sitting quietly, all upright in a row, was a small pride of 5 Lionesses - you have no idea how close I came to have to go shopping for new jocks.....  :imaposer: Revved up, quick-chop, pulled away, checked back and I swear they looked dissapointed.....
 :biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2019, 08:31:42 pm »
 :laughing4:

We kickstarter only bikers know how handy it is to keep her idling!

Another time I was with the Dar Bikers lost in the hunting blocks down in the Kilombero Valley south of Iringa. Ajax and I were looking for the way while a pair of muppets farted around with a puncture and we ran into a huge herd of Cape Buffalo. I killed the motor on the XR400 and was about to take a photo when Ajax revs his 450EXC in an attempt to shoo the bests away. Unfortunately for us it got their attention and they started running TOWARDS us! I've never kicked so quick I'm my life. Burned a quick U and got the hell out of there!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:37:04 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2019, 07:28:38 am »
Just reminded me - same trip - a few days later - I was trying to find a road up the coast from Dar to Bagamoyo - we were running low on fuel, so I drained both bikes into my tank and headed up the coast - got hopelessly lost and stumbled onto a poachers camp - they were unhappy with the Mzungu disturbing them cleaning ruffles, AK's etc...... I explained in my broken Portuguese that I was looking for petrol - they were then happy to sell me diesel.....  :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!