Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2019 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Sheepman

Re: 2019 - Big Red Pigs in Kenya
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
Brilliant  :thumleft: Can't wait for the next chapter  ;)

Offline Dustman

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • "I am not confused at times"
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:04 pm »
This is like popcorn, once started you can't stop.  :ricky: :ricky:
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2019, 10:10:17 pm »
Excellent as always thanks for sharing
BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US.

Offline Osadabwa

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Don't be surprised
Meow....
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2019, 09:09:11 am »
So Wry shares the RR with some non bikers who asked him if he saw the lions... to which he replies: "Lions?"

The story goes that a heli safari to Suguta had landed in the valley when they spotted lions nearby that showed too much interest so they took off. Landing several KM away to climb on foot to a viewpoint, they got a shock when they spotted the lions running full tilt to their position. It was a race to the chopper and the bipedal group only just made it, with the lions jumping after them trying to catch a ski...

Now I don't know if that's true or not... we didn't see a hell of a lot of game to support crazy assed lions... but it would have made our little siesta under the palms less relaxing if I'd heard the story before the ride!

:snorting:

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »
 Great report  :drif: thanks for sharing .
FTS

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Meow....
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2019, 01:08:07 pm »
So Wry shares the RR with some non bikers who asked him if he saw the lions... to which he replies: "Lions?"

The story goes that a heli safari to Suguta had landed in the valley when they spotted lions nearby that showed too much interest so they took off. Landing several KM away to climb on foot to a viewpoint, they got a shock when they spotted the lions running full tilt to their position. It was a race to the chopper and the bipedal group only just made it, with the lions jumping after them trying to catch a ski...

Now I don't know if that's true or not... we didn't see a hell of a lot of game to support crazy assed lions... but it would have made our little siesta under the palms less relaxing if I'd heard the story before the ride!

:laughing4:

Thats hillarious!!

Back in 1994 - yeah, a while ago, RR to follow at some point, my cousin @Roadcat and I were travelling from Iringa to Dar-es-Salaam on the A7, the national road through southern Tanzania, riding a pair of XT500's.
The road actually travels through the very north of the Mukumi Nature Reserve, so there is wildlife around (Well, there was, no idea about now....)
Well, at some point I pulled over to check a big male elephant standing tummy deep in a bog eating the grass (wet season) on the right of the road, about 60-80m away, I was casually sitting on the bike, which happened to be running & in gear....  :o
My cousin rides past at a reasonably slow speed, and points to my left, behind me according to my view of the elephant, I turned and there, sitting quietly, all upright in a row, was a small pride of 5 Lionesses - you have no idea how close I came to have to go shopping for new jocks.....  :imaposer: Revved up, quick-chop, pulled away, checked back and I swear they looked dissapointed.....
 :biggrin:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Osadabwa

• Don't be surprised
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2019, 08:31:42 pm »
 :laughing4:

We kickstarter only bikers know how handy it is to keep her idling!

Another time I was with the Dar Bikers lost in the hunting blocks down in the Kilombero Valley south of Iringa. Ajax and I were looking for the way while a pair of muppets farted around with a puncture and we ran into a huge herd of Cape Buffalo. I killed the motor on the XR400 and was about to take a photo when Ajax revs his 450EXC in an attempt to shoo the bests away. Unfortunately for us it got their attention and they started running TOWARDS us! I've never kicked so quick I'm my life. Burned a quick U and got the hell out of there!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:37:04 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2019, 07:28:38 am »
Just reminded me - same trip - a few days later - I was trying to find a road up the coast from Dar to Bagamoyo - we were running low on fuel, so I drained both bikes into my tank and headed up the coast - got hopelessly lost and stumbled onto a poachers camp - they were unhappy with the Mzungu disturbing them cleaning ruffles, AK's etc...... I explained in my broken Portuguese that I was looking for petrol - they were then happy to sell me diesel.....  :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Dacquiri

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2019, 06:20:14 pm »
Magic RR Osadabwa!  What an adventure! You are lucky to have such a variety of off-road riding options right on your doorstep. Thanks for sharing it and looking forward to many more misadventures with the muppets!!
KTM 500 Exc-f

Offline Osadabwa

• Don't be surprised
2019 09 - Magadi all day long
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 06:52:56 am »
Today was a great day.

I haven’t been on the XRR since Suguta Valley, and haven’t ridden with Panic for longer. After Suguta, I had the frame re-welded (extra beefy this time), changed chain and sprockets, dropped the oil and did a service. Sometimes after being off the bike awhile, I can feel like a giraffe on roller-skates, but this time it was like putting on my own skin. The bike felt invisible and I was in the mood to give her a proper thrashing. Normally day rides are short, often ending up at Olepolos for kuku choma and home by 2, but today I had in mind a bit longer one. We ended up doing 350km over 8 hours, riding from the Rift Valley Rim at 2050m to Lake Magadi at 600m and back. All but 40km were dirt, rocks, sand and salt-pan. With just the two of us, matched perfectly in terms of pace, we hauled ass. Every time I looked back, Panic was right there, egging me on. As a result, I basically decided to leave the camera in its pouch and enjoy the ride without the burden of endless documentation. Just got enough shots to remind me of the day.

Above: At one of very few rest stops, the bikes still squeaky clean. The start of the ride took us past the chaos of the new Chinese railroad and now what looks like a tarmac road going to Suswa from Ngong. That area has been irreparably changed for the worse. Met a nice Masai guy who knew a family I stayed with down there in ’98 and suggested I get back in touch so I can help them out. It was depressing… He says “You know so and so has 5 kids...”, to which I reply “That was their choice, not mine.”

Above: Down towards Butt Brothers’ Farm road, we found the first of what would be three groups of masai giraffe enjoying the day. The track here has such great flow. Fast the whole way, mostly sandy with a few rock outcroppings to cross.

Above: Past Butt Brother’s Farm on the back-way to Magadi via Sigiriani. The first half of this leg was beautiful, fast double track drifting. It didn’t last though and we were abused by the endless loose stones later. I was impatient and refused to follow a detour I’d found previously and we paid for it, trying to bee-line it through scrub brush over the top of the loose baby-heads.

Above: Panic gets wrecked by a dust-devil... in Zambia they say if one of these puppies crosses your path, something bad is going to happen to you or your family. Very prophetic this time around... later Panic eats it!

Above: After half an hour trying to ride directly over loose rocks without a trail, we gave up and hit the railroad tracks. The railroad here only serves the TATA factory at Magadi, so the chances of finding a train were very slim and we only had 5km to go. I got between the rails and blasted it, keeping a steady 80 – 90kph (faster than the train, I reasoned). In places, the sleepers had no stones in between them which was quite jarring, and it was nerve-wracking going around the one blind corner but we made it.

Above: Dropping down into the salt flats behind L. Magadi. This road was in great nick, so I’m sure there must be a link to it that could keep us out of the railway.

Above: At Magadi, we stopped at the sports club for a nice beef stew lunch and a couple of cold ones. The temperature was beautiful, only 30 C which is pretty rare, being at the bottom of the Valley.

Above: After lunch, we explored a new track that heads to Torosei without needing to skirt the Lake or climb through the volcano (both fun things to do, but new tracks are always fantastic, and this way we don’t get bothered by Masai insisting we pay “conservation fees”). The going was very fast and dusty as hell. Panic was up my tailpipe, so he was riding blind. Sometimes he would ride off the side of the track in order to avoid the dust plume, but this time he picked a bad spot for it. He hammered this massive tree trunk, doing a nice headplant on the other side. See, Panic, you need to watch out for those dust-devils! Happily, there was no harm done, and we ripped on.

Above: One very looong loop. The XRR is a time machine. We compressed what people often do in a weekend into one day out. To be fair, we were very quick partly because the two of us have ridden these tracks a million times, so sightseeing was minimal and the joy of braaaping was put to the forefront. I like it like that sometimes. Riding for riding’s sake.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:22:06 pm by Osadabwa »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 09:44:30 am »
You are spoilt rotten, thanks for posting :thumleft:
Did not know Kenya had a TATA factory.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 09:53:18 am »
You are spoilt rotten, thanks for posting :thumleft:
Did not know Kenya had a TATA factory.

Agree!

Always nice reading about your expeditions   :thumleft:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline Osadabwa

• Don't be surprised
Clarification...
« Reply #132 on: Yesterday at 12:13:54 pm »
Chris L - The TATA plant is not building trucks if that's what you're thinking, it's TATA chemicals producing soda ash. LINK

Next ride I do will again be down to Magadi, but this time for the Kenyan Distinguished Gentleman's ride on my XT. There will be several properly vintage bikes on the ride as well. It's quite different from my usual thing, which is maybe why I like it.

Cheers

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Clarification...
« Reply #133 on: Yesterday at 12:16:14 pm »
Chris L - The TATA plant is not building trucks if that's what you're thinking, it's TATA chemicals producing soda ash. LINK

Next ride I do will again be down to Magadi, but this time for the Kenyan Distinguished Gentleman's ride on my XT. There will be several properly vintage bikes on the ride as well. It's quite different from my usual thing, which is maybe why I like it.

Cheers

I looked it up and saw that. Also looked up Butt Brothers farm but could not find info.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Osadabwa

• Don't be surprised
Butt Brothers' Farm
« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 05:21:52 pm »
ChrisL - I have to provide info on Butt Brothers' farm or else folks are going to talk...  ;D

Here are some pics from that place. Google Earth's last update was in 2018, but it already shows the irrigation system up and running etc. Here's a LINK to the areal photos. As farms go, it's probably not noteworthy, but as farms go in this part of the Rift Valley, it's immense. Clearly they haven't planted out completely yet, but they have already planted citrus trees in one area.

And as to the name: I didn't make it up, but it may not be the name of the farm either. Butt is a sir name in Kenya's Indian community (I found out, meeting someone in my son's class with that name), so it's not meant to be funny, but, well, I'm a juvenile at heart.

Above: In 2016, we discovered the farm before they'd done much. There was a farm house and a few pieces of machinery with the name on it... giggle giggle

Above: I'd like to know what kind of machine that is. The drawings indicate cotton, and if so that's interesting... Kenya doesn't grow much cotton.

Above: Just an idea of the area... flat, dusty... almost a flood plain but without much flooding. This was like my 2nd ride on the XRR and I felt like I needed to pay tribute...

Above: Sure is a fun place to test your bike's speed limit though!

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 06:03:53 pm »
Sure looks like fertile soil :thumleft:

Found this clip about wheat farming in Kenya.

info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online RobLH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 06:21:23 pm »
Butt Farming in the Kamberg valley in the KZN midlands is a massive pig farming operation. Just a bit of useless info as I doubt they are related.

Thanks for the updates to your ongoing trip report Osadabwa, always appreciated with a twinge of jealousy.