Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WSBK 2019  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: WSBK 2019
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2019, 03:29:10 pm »
Approaching the "as exciting as watching paint dry" classification already.   >:(

Even the sprint race does not bring the anticipated exciting racing.

Yep, I was getting fed up of Rea winning non-stop but now I'm rooting for the guy.I dunno how or if he's ever gonna beat Bautista but I'll be happy when he does.

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 05:16:07 pm »
its great racing overall

not a snooze fest yet , look at the battles for 3 4 5 and 6 th

glad that another manufacturer is featuring , makes the rest wanna do more
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Online TheBear

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 08:27:23 am »
Not a snooze fest yet and I hope I am wrong, but it is heading there.  While there were a few battles lower down, look at the results of the three races.  Three races over a weekend, where the top 7 is the same!  I sincerely hope this changes.

Race 1 - Top 8:  Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Rinaldi
Race 2 - Top 8:  Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Rinaldi
Superpole Race - Top 8:    Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Davies

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:53 am »
Not a snooze fest yet and I hope I am wrong, but it is heading there.  While there were a few battles lower down, look at the results of the three races.  Three races over a weekend, where the top 7 is the same!  I sincerely hope this changes.

Race 1 - Top 8:  Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Rinaldi
Race 2 - Top 8:  Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Rinaldi
Superpole Race - Top 8:    Bautista, Rea, Lowes, VDMark, Haslam, Melandri, Cortese, Davies

Yip there's a pattern taking shape already. See JR is crying about a lack of horsepower and corner exit speed now - strange how quickly arrogant confidence can be wiped out with the arrival of a quicker bike and racer  ;)

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:30 am »
I watched a bit of highlights. Have they gone away from the mixed grid start ?

They have.  The starting order is now:

Race 1:  As per qualifying
Sprint Race:  As per qualifying
Race 2:  As per results from Sprint Race.

Thanks @TheBear .... they are all over the place with experiments, every year a new idea.

Looking at AB's dominance, to me this just confirms the talent gap between WSBK and MotoGP ... a midfield runner in GP is this dominant in his rookie attempt in WSBK
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:56 am »

Yip there's a pattern taking shape already. See JR is crying about a lack of horsepower and corner exit speed now - strange how quickly arrogant confidence can be wiped out with the arrival of a quicker bike and racer  ;)
The other duke is not really shaping, rider is too heavy it seems... :pot:

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 09:34:22 am »

....And too tall  ;D

Online TheBear

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 09:50:40 am »

Thanks @TheBear .... they are all over the place with experiments, every year a new idea.

Looking at AB's dominance, to me this just confirms the talent gap between WSBK and MotoGP ... a midfield runner in GP is this dominant in his rookie attempt in WSBK

Be careful not to read more in Alvaro's easy wins than we should.  Yes, he was a midfield runner in MGP, but he was always on a customer bike, or a third team bike if you prefer.  In some years, a 2 year old bike.  Had he been on a factory Ducati, he could have been world champ or very close, already.  The one opportunity he did get on a factory bike he ruffled some feathers of note.  Also, this Ducati is a MGP bike with its daily steroids intake slightly reduced.  It always helps when you have an awesome bike and your team managed to set it up to suit you perfectly.

There are quite a few MGP riders, midpack and better, who never really featured in WSBK either.  Marco Melandri for one, but also Nicky Hayden, Stefan Bradl, Eugene Laverty and so on.   

I think the Bautista/Ducati combo just gelled like the Rea/Kawasaki combo did in previous years.

Davies is too tall (this bike is exactly the same size as a MGP Ducati) and they are struggling with setup and he is still carrying an injury.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:54:08 am by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Online sidetrack

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:55 am »

Looking at AB's dominance, to me this just confirms the talent gap between WSBK and MotoGP ... a midfield runner in GP on a MotoGP bike  is this dominant in his rookie attempt in WSBK
Fixed
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online TheBear

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 12:10:44 pm »

Looking at AB's dominance, to me this just confirms the talent gap between WSBK and MotoGP ... a midfield runner in GP on a MotoGP bike  is this dominant in his rookie attempt in WSBK
Fixed

:thumleft:

I must say, I am enjoying this part of it more than any man should.  Kawasaki started the "homologation special" bullsheet back in around 2013 and are now being kicked on their posterior by the big mamma of "homologation specials".  That Ducati is a beast in every aspect down to the winglets.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 04:28:02 pm »
Be careful not to read more in Alvaro's easy wins than we should.  Yes, he was a midfield runner in MGP, but he was always on a customer bike, or a third team bike if you prefer.  In some years, a 2 year old bike.  Had he been on a factory Ducati, he could have been world champ or very close, already.  The one opportunity he did get on a factory bike he ruffled some feathers of note.  Also, this Ducati is a MGP bike with its daily steroids intake slightly reduced.  It always helps when you have an awesome bike and your team managed to set it up to suit you perfectly.

There are quite a few MGP riders, midpack and better, who never really featured in WSBK either.  Marco Melandri for one, but also Nicky Hayden, Stefan Bradl, Eugene Laverty and so on.   

I think by far moto gp riders do way better in sbk then sbk riders have done in moto gp.

When it comes to the Ducati Sbk bike, in what way is it a GP bike, is it not a production bike that has been homologated to the showroom spec that anyone can buy? Surely Ducati is not back to their old cheating ways again, remember all those years back when they ran 1000 cc bikes against the 750 cc Jap bikes  :dousing: ... don't tell me they have found another loop hole in the rules

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 07:04:00 am »
MGP bike or not, he's miles ahead of all the other Ducatis.

But then , Rea used to be miles (still is?) ahead of all the other Kawasakis.

And Lowes? VDM used to kick his but regularly. What's happening there?

Online TheBear

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:28 am »
MGP bike or not, he's miles ahead of all the other Ducatis.

But then , Rea used to be miles (still is?) ahead of all the other Kawasakis.

And Lowes? VDM used to kick his but regularly. What's happening there?

You are correct and I have often wondered about the Kawas previous years and this year the Ducatis.  Why such a huge difference between riders of the factory teams?  Look how closely matched the Yamahas (all four) are and how closely matched the non factory bikes are.  I can think of only two reasons.  The factory bikes were and are not of the same spec, but I would be surprised if this is correct.  The other reason is purely that the team manages to give a specific rider a bike that suits him better.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:58 pm »
The other thing is Melandri getting high speed weaves on both the Ducati and the Yamaha ............... now that's wierd..........Only him.

Points to him not riding properly but that can't be, he knows what he's doing.

Offline Az

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • It wasn't me...
    • The Marshals
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 09:38:02 pm »
Isn't it something to do with his riding position because of his height (or lack of)?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:25 am »
Could be, maybe his neck is starting to get stuck from looking up at his wife so much. And now his head is above the screen ...........

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog, Az

Online TheBear

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2019, 09:46:01 am »
I believe he sets the bike up very light on steering because he is so small and they are struggling to get the proper balance between light steering when required only and light steering whenever!
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Sithe

• gewig versplasing
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2019, 12:57:41 pm »
I believe he sets the bike up very light on steering because he is so small and they are struggling to get the proper balance between light steering when required only and light steering whenever!

The problem doesn't seem to be steering related. It happens on acceleration. It is very odd because he gets on the gas fine early on, then at some point in the acceleration the rear starts to pump and that translates to a gyration in the chassis.

It's not an unusual problem but typically it happens early in the acceleration and with most chassis set up it goes away as you continue acceleration ... the unusual part with MM is that gyration continues through out (he is unable to accelerate out of it)

I suspect it's not an easy fix, it looks like a more fundamental problem. In motoGP off course they would have moved so many things on the chassis and fixed it for him. But with Sbk bikes you don't have such freedom with the chassis, it's mainly suspension changes you can make.

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2019, 01:23:02 pm »

The problem doesn't seem to be steering related. It happens on acceleration. It is very odd because he gets on the gas fine early on, then at some point in the acceleration the rear starts to pump and that translates to a gyration in the chassis.

It's not an unusual problem but typically it happens early in the acceleration and with most chassis set up it goes away as you continue acceleration ... the unusual part with MM is that gyration continues through out (he is unable to accelerate out of it)

I suspect it's not an easy fix, it looks like a more fundamental problem. In motoGP off course they would have moved so many things on the chassis and fixed it for him. But with Sbk bikes you don't have such freedom with the chassis, it's mainly suspension changes you can make.

Agree, reckon it's suspension

Online TheBear

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:27 am »
At the end of last season, Honda kicked Ten Kate Racing out and decided to bring in a new semi-factory Honda Team.  They went with Althea to run the team in Ten Kate's place with Moriwaki as sponsor.  This move bankrupted the Ten Kate Racing division and as such they sort of disappeared of the scene.  SO far this season, the Althea Moriwaki Honda team looks no better than the Ten Kate Team did during previous years. 

The interesting news though is that Ten Kate is coming back, in this season already, with a factory spec Yamaha which will be ridden by Loris Baz.  They are planning to make their comeback at Imola, or Jerez late in May, early June.  I, for one, likes the fact that they are coming back and I trust they will kick arse, especially Honda arse!   >:D
#33 #BRADICAL!