Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The New BMW 1250 GS/GSA  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
The New BMW 1250 GS/GSA
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:36:59 am »
Post all about the new 1250 here guys......

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
Re: The New BMW 1250 GS/GSA
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:17 am »
 :useless: :useless: :useless: :useless: :useless: :useless: :useless:
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:45 am »
....well, its 85cc bigger than the previous 1200LC, so there is that...

And MANY, but not all, 1200LC accessories can be transferred over to the new bike, panniers, TOPBOX, etc, but the LOWER crash bars have different mounting points...

...and the SOUND is significantly different to its predecessor...

Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline erey

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Carpe Diem
    • 790 Blog in french
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 06:52:54 am »
It was in October 2018. Remember me the old oil 1200

The engine is now more convincing. It no longer vibrates below 2,000 rpm. He is frankly resuming all regimes. This is appreciable in the range 3'000 - 4'500 rpm. The previous engine has always had lower performance.

Offline Metiger

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:05 am »
The bike has been around for a while now so I need to know is it worth swapping my 2017 GSA for one ? Is it R120 000 better ?

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:37:01 am »
Never.... It will always be a hearts decision :lol8:

2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1785 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C       
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 09:29:05 am »
The bike has been around for a while now so I need to know is it worth swapping my 2017 GSA for one ? Is it R120 000 better ?

Financially it does not make sense. And honestly its probably not R100k + better but it is definitely better and I have absolutely no regrets. In fact this is the last bike I will purchase for the next 5 years at least and if the next model is only slightly different I will keep it past then too. we looking at emigrating and the first thing I did was to check how to take this bike with me.  :lol8:

I have not been very sensible with my purchases though. In the last almost two years that Ive been back on a bike I have had 3 bikes. I bought a 2011 AC GSA because I happened to see it at a dealership I was dropping a mate off at. (his bike was in for a service) I wasnt looking at the time but have always had the need for an adventure bike in the back of my mind....so he easily convinced me to buy it - broke the news to my wife about two weeks later. I was in kak!  :lol8:
I then went and got my learners and two days later and the first time I rode it, was two days later, on a Saturday morning when we left for Cape Town. Really enjoyed it and the bug bit, but I did prefer my mates 2014 after riding it. Two months later I saw a Black Friday special on a brand new 2017 GSA. Went in and traded my 2011 in on it. Rode the 2017/2018 registered GSA for about 16 months and put on almost 20k kms on it. Loved it more than the AC GSA although the heat from the exhaust bugged me a lot - swore I would not buy the 1250 because of it.
While sitting around the campsite on a trip a day after almost being cooked alive in the Karoo with temps of 45C, and just out of interest, in Feb this year, I phoned a sales man I know at Bavarian Motorcycles in Centurion and asked him what deal he could put together for me on a 1250. Which he did - It was going to cost me R112k to do the deal and he assured me there was no heat issue like on the 2017 - i did the transfer and the rest is history.

Things I have noticed that are better on the 1250 for me:
- I suffered with pins and needles in my hands on the 2011 and 2017. On the 1250 I dont
- The bikes motor is smoother
- The extra power on paper is not impressive but to me its brilliant, especially when over taking
- The suspension is better. I set it to auto and havent changed it again. No more adjusting for pillion or luggage etc and Im not sure if its the bike or maybe my riding has improved but the bike feels better on tar and on dirt
- The TFT screen is better
- It looks better. I have the HP and although I am still not 100% about the gold wheels as a package it looks brilliant. When parking I always look back and admire it and sometimes take a picture... my phone is full of pictures of it - yes Im strange. Hardly ever did that on the previous bikes.
- Only negative I can think of is the fuel consumption seems worse than on my 2017 but its hard to say/compare for sure. I commute daily and used to ride around 30kms to work and of that 25kms was highway. I now ride 15kms to work with no highway. So perhaps thats why? 2019 over just over 4000kms consumption is 5.4 ltrs per 100kms and the 2017 was 4.8ltrs per 100kms over 19k kms.
- Im not a fast rider but the 1250 does make me want to open it up every now and again. Ive had the front wheel lift from standstill and stay up all the way up to 4th - then I chickened out. Feels awesome although it probably only lifted 30cms off of the ground before the anti wheelie thingy-ma-bob activates - but at that moment I felt like a riding god, well almost  :lol8: .
- There is no heat from the exhaust
- Motor sounds less agricultural and quieter (ie. tappet type noise almost non-existent) and has a really nice almost whine to it.

Apart from those things its pretty much the same except it also has a 3 year warranty. The 2017 had a 2 year warranty.

As a side note, the salesman told me that my drive shaft had to be replaced on the 2017 as there was play in it or something. Cant remember exactly what. Luckily for them that was done under warranty. I am not a hard rider so it was not because I was riding too hard or anything.

The 1250 may not be the best bike on the road or off the tar but I will never ride it to its limit anyway and its a far better bike than I am a rider.

Let me just leave this here also. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:45:11 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:05:04 pm »
 ;) Step Brother and Sister.....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:09:34 pm by chicco »
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Metiger

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:26:25 pm »

Financially it does not make sense. And honestly its probably not R100k + better but it is definitely better and I have absolutely no regrets. In fact this is the last bike I will purchase for the next 5 years at least and if the next model is only slightly different I will keep it past then too. we looking at emigrating and the first thing I did was to check how to take this bike with me.  :lol8:

I have not been very sensible with my purchases though. In the last almost two years that Ive been back on a bike I have had 3 bikes. I bought a 2011 AC GSA because I happened to see it at a dealership I was dropping a mate off at. (his bike was in for a service) I wasnt looking at the time but have always had the need for an adventure bike in the back of my mind....so he easily convinced me to buy it - broke the news to my wife about two weeks later. I was in kak!  :lol8:
I then went and got my learners and two days later and the first time I rode it, was two days later, on a Saturday morning when we left for Cape Town. Really enjoyed it and the bug bit, but I did prefer my mates 2014 after riding it. Two months later I saw a Black Friday special on a brand new 2017 GSA. Went in and traded my 2011 in on it. Rode the 2017/2018 registered GSA for about 16 months and put on almost 20k kms on it. Loved it more than the AC GSA although the heat from the exhaust bugged me a lot - swore I would not buy the 1250 because of it.
While sitting around the campsite on a trip a day after almost being cooked alive in the Karoo with temps of 45C, and just out of interest, in Feb this year, I phoned a sales man I know at Bavarian Motorcycles in Centurion and asked him what deal he could put together for me on a 1250. Which he did - It was going to cost me R112k to do the deal and he assured me there was no heat issue like on the 2017 - i did the transfer and the rest is history.

Things I have noticed that are better on the 1250 for me:
- I suffered with pins and needles in my hands on the 2011 and 2017. On the 1250 I dont
- The bikes motor is smoother
- The extra power on paper is not impressive but to me its brilliant, especially when over taking
- The suspension is better. I set it to auto and havent changed it again. No more adjusting for pillion or luggage etc and Im not sure if its the bike or maybe my riding has improved but the bike feels better on tar and on dirt
- The TFT screen is better
- It looks better. I have the HP and although I am still not 100% about the gold wheels as a package it looks brilliant. When parking I always look back and admire it and sometimes take a picture... my phone is full of pictures of it - yes Im strange. Hardly ever did that on the previous bikes.
- Only negative I can think of is the fuel consumption seems worse than on my 2017 but its hard to say/compare for sure. I commute daily and used to ride around 30kms to work and of that 25kms was highway. I now ride 15kms to work with no highway. So perhaps thats why? 2019 over just over 4000kms consumption is 5.4 ltrs per 100kms and the 2017 was 4.8ltrs per 100kms over 19k kms.
- Im not a fast rider but the 1250 does make me want to open it up every now and again. Ive had the front wheel lift from standstill and stay up all the way up to 4th - then I chickened out. Feels awesome although it probably only lifted 30cms off of the ground before the anti wheelie thingy-ma-bob activates - but at that moment I felt like a riding god, well almost  :lol8: .
- There is no heat from the exhaust
- Motor sounds less agricultural and quieter (ie. tappet type noise almost non-existent) and has a really nice almost whine to it.

Apart from those things its pretty much the same except it also has a 3 year warranty. The 2017 had a 2 year warranty.

As a side note, the salesman told me that my drive shaft had to be replaced on the 2017 as there was play in it or something. Cant remember exactly what. Luckily for them that was done under warranty. I am not a hard rider so it was not because I was riding too hard or anything.

The 1250 may not be the best bike on the road or off the tar but I will never ride it to its limit anyway and its a far better bike than I am a rider.

Let me just leave this here also.

Thanks for the comprehensive review . I agree its more than just the money . I do think I would go for the GS and not the GSA .