Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cleaning out electrical connections  (Read 143 times)

Offline Martin Groenewald

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Cleaning out electrical connections
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:15:19 am »
Good day

Iíve got a 2013 690 and Iím wanting to go through all my electrical connections and give them a clean out and spray them with a contact cleaner I have Wynns bright spark electrical contact cleaner just looking for some advice anything I should look out for and be careful of

Thanks in advance

Offline geopat

Re: Cleaning out electrical connections
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:09 am »
Be careful of anything that leaves a residue/oil on the throttle body the tps runs on very small voltage changes and anything in the connections can mess with the readings

Offline Sprocketbek

Re: Cleaning out electrical connections
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 10:23:56 am »
Keep in mind that contact cleaners are most likely acid, and the oil in the WD 40 type stuff is not good for the plastic connector housing.
I like using Kontakt 60, but it should be flushed afterward to remove acid and residue.

I see that the guys at my workplace also use a series of 3 sprays from the same manufacturer.

Copied from the web:
Use in the order eg at switches, contacts, etc. (in Potis ONLY if everything else does not help anymore, say: Before everything is gone):
Kontakt 60 -> aggressive cleaning / deoxidation
Kontakt WL -> flush out Kontakt 60, generously flood !!!
Kontakt 61 -> preserves the result of previous steps and lubricates mechanically
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012