Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Legend Tax - What, How and by Whom determined ?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Legend Tax - What, How and by Whom determined ?
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2021, 07:37:28 pm »
On road / track bikes, I always loved the 2008 RC8 and 2009 and later RC8R offerings from KTM. Although I rode both versions, I never owned one. They were mostly regarded as " a good first attempt at a superbike  by the Mattighofen guys " but nothing more ! Roll on 13 years from their launch and I am looking to lay my hands on a good unmolested RC8R......and guess what ? Scarce as hens teeth ( understandable ) and they are suddenly regarded as collectors bikes at a cost of at least 150% of the new price at launch   :o What do you guys say.....does this qualify as legend tax or is it a simple case of opportunism to coin a packet ?

Possibly on scarcity, as they achieved nothing else. Also novel value, a first, and only, attempt from this large and successful company to build a superbike.

Offline PapaDragon

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline Dux

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2021, 08:20:03 pm »
On road / track bikes, I always loved the 2008 RC8 and 2009 and later RC8R offerings from KTM. Although I rode both versions, I never owned one. They were mostly regarded as " a good first attempt at a superbike  by the Mattighofen guys " but nothing more ! Roll on 13 years from their launch and I am looking to lay my hands on a good unmolested RC8R......and guess what ? Scarce as hens teeth ( understandable ) and they are suddenly regarded as collectors bikes at a cost of at least 150% of the new price at launch   :o What do you guys say.....does this qualify as legend tax or is it a simple case of opportunism to coin a packet ?

I have ridden both RC8 and RC8R , I rode them at the same time that I rode the Ducati 1098R and I was very impressed with the KTM's , not just because it was their first superbike but also in comparison with other bikes of the time , the R in particular I found to be way better than the standard model , far better than the numbers would have one believe , if you can get an R then go for it .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: Sheepman

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2021, 08:51:14 pm »
Would you rate this as a fair price?

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/other/yamaha-dt-175-enduro-1981-model/1009831429240910010370309

This, while certainly on the high side, is a good example of how these price structures work.

These DT "MX" models, the D,E and F models, are now becoming scarce in good nick, and many of us rode them as younger men, and if you want one now, how much are you willing to pay?

The following users thanked this post: PapaDragon

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
Born to lose, live to win!!