Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2019  (Read 3848 times)

Offline WNaude

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Tankwa Cross Country Rally 2019
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
Hi Guys,

Maybe someone can help.

My wife and I are driving down from Pretoria. To do the trip in one day might be a bit too much, so we 're looking at a nice halfway overnight stop we can stay.

Somewhere between Hopetown, Strydenburg, Britstown....

Any recommendations will be appreciated?

Thanks
Werner
I don't ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days!

1982 R100RS, 1980 XR250, 1982 XR500R,

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2019, 10:10:47 am »
RUGGED  AND DIVERSE TANKWA  CROSS COUNTRY 2019

No Road like Off-Road

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2019, 10:47:44 am »
Hi Guys,

Maybe someone can help.

My wife and I are driving down from Pretoria. To do the trip in one day might be a bit too much, so we 're looking at a nice halfway overnight stop we can stay.

Thanks
Werner

I know you're not on a bike, but these accommodations were suggested by bikers for bikers. Hope you find something here:

Interactive Accommodation Map
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: WNaude

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2019, 10:54:23 am »
Next year......
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Buff

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2019, 11:56:53 am »
Next year......

Ek het gister gesien, jy en daai 501 is reg vir die ding, die Tankwa wag vir jou  ;D :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2019, 01:26:23 pm »
Sliver Class

Vintage Class

News Update - Silver & Vintage Classes
Approx. Route distances
Day 1
Race Section 1 - 93km (Time Trial).
Race Section 2 - 75km
Day 2
Race Section 3 - 300km (marathon).
Day 3
Race section 4 - 72km
Race section 5 - 110km
Total +- 650 Km
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2019, 02:22:58 pm »

Approx. Route distances
Day 1
Race Section 1 - 93km (Time Trial).
Race Section 2 - 75km
Day 2
Race Section 3 - 300km (marathon).
Day 3
Race section 4 - 72km
Race section 5 - 110km
Total +- 650 Km

Yoh, that's still a lot of racing for my old unfit body  :o I did 30km's with @Fuzzy Muzzy in the sandpit yesterday and needed an afternoon nap  ;D But what the hell, "my Ma het nie bang kinders groot gemaak nie"... roll on Tankwa  :thumleft: I'm in any case just planning on riding this one to get the finishers medal so it'll all be about conservation of bike & body :ricky:

Glad to see Honda is bringing 3 x 450 Rally's to the party, that's going to be a great promo for the Tankwa Rally and for Honda  :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2019, 03:31:26 pm »
To be fair Brett, I think the riding we did on Sunday is like an intense Tankwa , did we only do 30km  :eek7:.. at least with the Tankwa you get to rest on some straights and conserve that body.

The pic above of the riverbed.. oooh  :o
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2019, 03:41:23 pm »
To be fair Brett, I think the riding we did on Sunday is like an intense Tankwa , did we only do 30km  :eek7:.. at least with the Tankwa you get to rest on some straights and conserve that body.

Did you guys do a lot more riding after I left?
I had a serious workout on Sunday. Also had a nice nap after lunch..   :biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline Buff

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »

I had a serious workout on Sunday. Also had a nice nap after lunch..   :biggrin:

Yeh, only 30km's but it was at a fairly rapid pace at times  ;D But those Tankwa riverbeds are a good workout as well, that shale is like sinking sand at times  :eek7: But ja, thank God there's some respite in between the sand & rocks  :thumleft:

I'd like to say we did but no @Kaboef , we were fairly knackered by then as well. Basically just rode all the sand tracks back along the gnarliest whoops Muzz could find. I swear my arms are 10cm longer today  :o ;)

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2019, 04:16:23 pm »

Yeh, only 30km's but it was at a fairly rapid pace at times  ;D But those Tankwa riverbeds are a good workout as well, that shale is like sinking sand at times  :eek7: But ja, thank God there's some respite in between the sand & rocks  :thumleft:

I'd like to say we did but no @Kaboef , we were fairly knackered by then as well. Basically just rode all the sand tracks back along the gnarliest whoops Muzz could find. I swear my arms are 10cm longer today  :o ;)

Haha Guys try those river beds on a quad - rode them all a week ago & a bit Sunday morning before heading home they are really good  ;) ;D
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2019, 05:37:21 pm »
Hi Guys,

Maybe someone can help.

Thanks
Werner
Hi Werner,
Ive stayed a couple times (few years back) at the Hotel on lhs as you enter  Britstown - was fine + lockup
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2019, 06:20:51 pm »
What is this story about Honda Rallye bikes?

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:15 pm »
Spent the weekend in the Tankwa, trying to get my head around the sheer size and grandeur of the place and wishing I had a bike there.

The course has everything! If you're a competitive rider this is the place to show off your skills. And if you're a Sunday rider this is the place to test yourself and to have the ride of your life!

Bone up on your GPS skills and go for it - it's going to be a blast!

Here's a pic of Parc Ferme  :imaposer:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2019, 01:08:44 pm »

Bump - come on, what do you guys know?  I'll get a couple of mates to bring their KTM RFRs if there is a chance of a dice with a factory Honda....

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2019, 01:15:56 pm »

Bump - come on, what do you guys know?  I'll get a couple of mates to bring their KTM RFRs if there is a chance of a dice with a factory Honda....

I as something on facebook of guys with CRF450L's practicing for the Tankwa. Maybe that is what they were referring to?
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2019, 01:33:35 pm »

I as something on facebook of guys with CRF450L's practicing for the Tankwa. Maybe that is what they were referring to?

Well, more Hondas will always be a good thing, but a L is not a X never mind a rally.  Its apparently barely a 250 :lol8:

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:40 pm »

Well, more Hondas will always be a good thing, but a L is not a X never mind a rally.  Its apparently barely a 250 :lol8:

L for loooong life and economy - Great to have these guys join us and their interest. Thank you.
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2019, 01:55:55 pm »
While talking Honda there is one Honda that is going to give the guys a run for their money,  Taye Perry - some Tankwa pics of Taye from last year

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h6cFzk]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h6euFv]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h6fhuk]

No Road like Off-Road

Offline Buff

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2019, 02:48:54 pm »

Reading between the lines on FB, there'll be 3 x 450L's at Tankwa kitted with road books etc to tackle the event. All 3 ridden by WD's nogal. But I'll leave it up to them to share, if they so wish, I don't want to steal all their thunder any further.

The following users thanked this post: Bill the Bong