One year on a DR650SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Yes, my newest DR has survived the warranty period! Just over one year and 10000km.

Modifications to new bike:
Lesser quality drive chain replaced with DID X-Ring, steering head bearing adjusted correctly (was too tight), upper chain guide roller removed, bar ends removed, Polisport Sharp hand guards fitted, self made luggage rack to fit my Gearsack inspired tailpack.
Philips bolts on plastics and handlebar switches replaced with quality stainless steel allen head fasteners.
Rubber spacer bolted onto frame cover instead of clipped into exhaust can.

Later modifications:
Spiegler steel braided front brake hose. Not that it has to be done but it improves feel on the brake and I had one lying around ;D
Clarke 16l plastic tank. Increases fuel range to 250 - 300 km (plus 3l reserve).

Rear Kings KT966 after the OEM Bridgestone was shot. The B's are marginally better on tar and allow you to ride like a hooligan. The Kings feels a bit squirmish if you really fly low on tar but is waaaay better on gravel. Waiting to put KT966 onto front for complete dirt road happiness.

Problems:
Scratch in front fender on new bike. Replaced on warranteeh.

The starter motor brushes got stuck after some two months / 2800km. This usually happens when the starter is laboured too much. I definitely did not do anything wrong. I know the problem very well. Occurs sometimes when customers don't listen to me explaining the hired bikes, drown carb and burn starter. The brushes seize in their guides and the starter stops working a few weeks later when the brushes don't make proper contact any more. Possible that bushes were stuck from assembly?
Starter motor bushes excepted from warranty together with bulbs, pads, chain & sprocket...  :deal:

Comment from dealer: Bring it in, we'll have a look.
Disassembled it myself to avoid hefty invoice. Cleaned and unfcuked brushes and guides. No parts used. Spend 1h30 on the whole job  :)
Advice: DIY or get auto electrician to sort it if you have the same problem.

Two bolts fell out of the rear mudguard / plate holder assembly recently

Besides that:

Nothing. Bike purrs like a kitten and does not give kak. Does not use a drop of oil, fuel consumption between 4l and 5l on 100km (20km - 25km / l).

Very solid quality, no rust or rot so far. Fuel range with Clarke tank suits my needs, got used to ironing board type seat. Performance of bike suits my riding style and level of skill. Easy and cheap to maintain. Unpretentious. Does not turn heads like a KTM.
White Clarke tank stains where knees rub but stains come off with some Handy Andy. Darker tinted tanks do not have this problem but bleach over time :(
Maybe I special order one in desert beige for my next DR ???
Good value for money. Very few issues, nothing that's not very easily and cheaply fixed.

Which gets me to the conclusion:

Yes, I would definitely buy a DR650SE again.