First Bike: XT660 vs. KLR650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan42

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi guys, I need some guidance.

I’m new to biking - the last time I rode a motorcycle was at school - a friend’s bike 25years ago. A DT50 (I think). Thus, no experience. I want a dual purpose bike and after some reading and YouTubing I’ve decided that my first bike is a tossup between the KLR650 and the XT660Z. On looks and reviews I lean towards the XT and on cost, the KLR.

I will be doing 80% of my riding on pavement and 20% on gravel. No hard stuff. Not yet. I like that both the bikes are tall. I’m 1.92m. I’ve sat on a KLR and find the riding position comfortable. Because it’s going to be my first bike, cost is a major factor. I’m not looking to spend more than 50/60K (max) first time around which make the likelihood of a KLR even bigger. It is also the reason bikes like the Tigers’ and GS’s are not considered. As for Honda’s XR or Suzuki’s DR which might be lighter and easier to handle, I just don’t like the look of them. So, it’s the KLR vs. XT.

I would like to know from you who’ve owned or ridden both which you prefer and why? Also, which of these bikes are easier to live with in regards to maintenance and cost? And lastly, what type of things should I look out for when buying one of these bikes?

Your help is appreciated. THANKS!