Old man, between Thandi, Rietkuil, Schietpad, Baardskeerdersbos en Teselaarsdal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deon

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
My friends was complaining that we did not had a bike trip in a while.  They were talking about Witsand.  I did not like the idea of long, boring roads in the summer.  So I worked out a shorter, easier ride.  The main points was that there should not be long stretches of roads between pubs.  And the roads must be interesting.

So on Saturday morning we departed from  Firlands, Lowys Pass.  The we went through Thandi forestry village.  We took a left turn at Boontjieskraal, to go and spook the black wildebeest with mad cow disease.
Then we went past Caledon and took the Klipdale road.  Then all the way to Rietkuil, the via Schietpad pas the goldmine, and then to Gunners in Napier.  Because, by now, we were thirsty.

We had a great brunch on the stoep.  The locals was glad we supported them.  We took the Elim road and crossed the mountain trying to find a way to Sandy's Glen.  We came to a gate that said private.  Seeing that I was leading a few friends, I turned around.

We continued on the Elim road, and got to Baardskeerdersbos.  There we were spoiled for choice between the old hotel, Marietjies and Rusty's.  We end up at Rusty's because we were more thirsty than hungry.  After a while, we managed to find our accommodation Rusthof.  Friendly people, and a great house.  We had a braai.

Sunday morning we took the Uilenkraal / Avocado road and got lost close to Salmonsdam.  We took the tar road between Stanford and Van Brackel stoor in an eastern direction. About six km before we reached the Caledon / Napier road, we turned left towards Tesellaarsdal.  We had one of the best lunches at the old Poskantoor.
From there we took the Solitaire road, Shaw's Pass, Black Eagle Road, unto Dassiefontein.

What made this tour special, was the easy going scenic roads.  Relaxing, with great pubs and restaurants to choose from.  And great camaraderie.

Attachments

• 99_Kaart.jpg
    99_Kaart.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 280