Umvoti Awesomeness - Twice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
I have spent quite a few days riding in the greater Umvoti Valley and have always been blown away by the huge riding opportunities it offers, but I have really in the past only scratched the surface and never actually done it justice. It is an endless succession of mountains, valleys, views and passes, just waiting to be explored. So I got on Google Earth and after more than a few hours of searching I came up with a route that I thought would do it justice. Some of the tracks I have done before, but most were new to me.

The next challenge was finding a weekend to do the ride. Lately KZN has been cursed/blessed with copious amounts of rain, especially over weekends, making it really difficult to fit in any decent riding. The weather forecasts for the weekend of 15 to 17 Feb showed torrential rain throughout the weekend, so I assumed there would be no riding for another weekend. Then on Thursday the forecast for the next day suddenly changed to show a dry, clear day expected, so I called the most likely person i know to do a Friday ride at one day's notice, my mate and old forum member Outthere, who without hesitation said he was keen.

So we set off earliesh Friday morning, heading out towards Nagle Dam and Valley of a 1000 hills. My route took us quite close to the Umgeni River anyway, and seeing as Friday was day 2 of the Duzi, I decided to stop by for an hour or 2 to show some support for my brother who was doing the race and would be passing by at about the time we would be there.

Spent an hour or so on the side of the river watching paddlers come past until my bro showed up, shouted some encouragement and off we went on our ride.

Attachments

• 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 425
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 428
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg