New Airoh Carbon Commander helmet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I've been rather critical towards Airoh helmets, due to good reason, but that suddenly changed and I felt that I should give credit where it's due.

I bought my previous helmet, an Airoh S5, about 5 years ago. Not knowing any better at that stage, I also didn't want to spend a fortune on a helmet - big mistake. Apart from being very hard on the inside and actually rather uncomfortable, the noise levels while riding was the biggest issue for me. The helmet is extremely noisy, regardless of wearing earplugs of any sort. It has only one small chin vent, that doesn't do much, if anything towards cooling things down. So much so, that I decided there's no way that I'd go on a long, multi day trip wearing this helmet.

I started reading reviews on many helmets, but especially the likes of Arai, Shoei, Schuberth, etc. Then I stumbled upon the AGV AX9 and according to everything I watched and read, it looked like the one. Unfortunately, AGV helmets aren't as common and they're not easily found, except in the bigger centers, I guess. The big named helmets are probably worth every cent, but I just couldn't see myself spending R10k plus on one.

So, I stumbled upon the new Airoh Carbon Commander helmet and although I said "never again" I was rather convinced after I tried it on. I bought one at just over R6k and man, was I pleasantly surprised.

The helmet is a 200% improvement in each and every department, compared to my old S5. It's extremely comfortable, all day long, it's light as a feather and best of all, it's probably as quiet as you'll get. Venting is very good and they actually work. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this helmet. If I had to raise one issue, it's the visor fogging up when riding in colder weather, but that seems to be common with just about all helmets.

So, if you're buying, this helmet is definitely worth checking out.