Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kalahari Rally 2019 - Support and Advise  (Read 1131 times)

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
Re: Kalahari Rally 2019 - Support and Advise
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 08:06:44 am »
Lekker Adie . . .!

Offline SparkMark

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 03:36:49 pm »
Sticker kit done and long range tank fitted on the front (15L).

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 03:59:53 pm »
Have you found the Dakar Rally game to be beneficial for the NAV training?
Yes, finding the game pretty good for training.

I've only done one rally but in my opinion the game will most definitely help. Especially when you get to the 3rd level in the game where you have no assistance to get you in the right direction, show proximity of way points, and your CAP doesn't reset itself when you reach a tulip.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:00:17 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:35 pm »
I've been asked a few times for more info on the Rockfox rally items.

We have the following products.

1. Trip-CAP.  Complete interchangeable between GPS and wheel sensor for dist and speed.  Built in GPS foe reasy installation.
2. Roadbook holder. complete with backlight and switch.
3. Alu roadbook and instrument mounting bracket.
4. HDPE tower.  Fixed or handlebar mount.

We also experimented with roto moulded fuel cells.  This project will probably restarted soon.

Some more info on the product development that I could find.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=194022.msg3589652#msg3589652

and

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=166589.0

Since then the products was dramatically upgraded.  Will get the boxes dusted off tomorrow for pics and prices.

Adie
Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:48 am »
Ok ... so making some progress.

Have ordered a LR tank for the front and 5L for the rear, so that is fuel covered.

Training is going well so far.

All my nav stuff arrived so looking at tower options. I would like something small just to give me a bit of wind cover. HDB Rallye Lite Pro looks good.

Started practicing my roadbook. Learning the Lexicon and using the Dakar Rally Game (thanks Minxy)

Some more Questions
=================

Does anyone have any roadbooks from last year that would be willing to part for me to practice read ?

How do the Bivouacs work ?
    - Do you setup your gazebo for the day and when you return prep bike ? Anything special required around the gazebo (oil drains / env matts etc)
    - Is the camping within the Bivouac ?
    - If you plan to do BnB is it safe to leave the bike / gazebo etc in the Bivouac ?

Cheers for now
Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the update.

Have you had any luck in contacting Paul from HDB? As I also want to go for the Rally Lite setup, however this far haven't had any response from him. In previous comms, he was superb........
If you settle on this tower, let me know. Maybe we can save on the shipping by combining them!

I love their kit, really great quality. If this doesn't pan out, next option is the REBEL X Rally Lite setup.

What Nav gear did go for?

@Weedkiller - Adie , what happened to the pics of the Nav gear  :ricky:

Hey CDog,

Finally got hold of Paul ... I've opted for the Rallye Lite Pro with Squadron lights. It was touch and go because my wife is in the US this week, so shipping to her hotel. Sorry man it was so tight time wise. Had Paul been able to contact me sooner we would have had time to pick one up for you too. Unless you can get hold of him today to maybe ship it out. My wife leaves on Friday morning.

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 09:50:25 am »
So went for my first long range dirt run ... did 110km's on the darling train track. Bike was pretty good ... made some tweaks to the suspension. Rear feels good, front isn't great unfortunately. The initial high speed compression is naff. Same as on my 701 ... time for cone valves.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:50:54 am by SparkMark »

Online CDog

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:13:06 pm »
Ok ... so making some progress.

Have ordered a LR tank for the front and 5L for the rear, so that is fuel covered.

Training is going well so far.

All my nav stuff arrived so looking at tower options. I would like something small just to give me a bit of wind cover. HDB Rallye Lite Pro looks good.

Started practicing my roadbook. Learning the Lexicon and using the Dakar Rally Game (thanks Minxy)

Some more Questions
=================

Does anyone have any roadbooks from last year that would be willing to part for me to practice read ?

How do the Bivouacs work ?
    - Do you setup your gazebo for the day and when you return prep bike ? Anything special required around the gazebo (oil drains / env matts etc)
    - Is the camping within the Bivouac ?
    - If you plan to do BnB is it safe to leave the bike / gazebo etc in the Bivouac ?

Cheers for now
Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the update.

Have you had any luck in contacting Paul from HDB? As I also want to go for the Rally Lite setup, however this far haven't had any response from him. In previous comms, he was superb........
If you settle on this tower, let me know. Maybe we can save on the shipping by combining them!

I love their kit, really great quality. If this doesn't pan out, next option is the REBEL X Rally Lite setup.

What Nav gear did go for?

@Weedkiller - Adie , what happened to the pics of the Nav gear  :ricky:

Hey CDog,

Finally got hold of Paul ... I've opted for the Rallye Lite Pro with Squadron lights. It was touch and go because my wife is in the US this week, so shipping to her hotel. Sorry man it was so tight time wise. Had Paul been able to contact me sooner we would have had time to pick one up for you too. Unless you can get hold of him today to maybe ship it out. My wife leaves on Friday morning.

Hey Mark,

No Worries.......... Had a few chats to Paul. But in the end, Omega had a spare Rally Light Mounting lying around here in SA which i have taken off of his hands ;-) So have managed to come right there.

Hows the build coming along?

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 01:17:28 pm »
Hey Mark,

No Worries.......... Had a few chats to Paul. But in the end, Omega had a spare Rally Light Mounting lying around here in SA which i have taken off of his hands ;-) So have managed to come right there.

Hows the build coming along?

Getting there slowly but surely ... I made up some handlebar roadbook mounts in the mean time while I wait for the HBD stuff.
Building up the wiring loom at the moment.

Online CDog

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 12:52:56 pm »
Hey Mark,

Hows all the training & bike building going on your side?!
I have the Rally Lite Setup going with an F2R RB and a ICO MAX & MAX G setup, all working hundreds  :ricky:
Also now sorted with the Scotts Damper & a Sub Bar mount........ overall very happy!

Am thinking of getting a professional Suspension setup done at some point.......as I would like it to be done right!!

Quite happy with how everything is looking. Just need to spend more time on the pegs , and even more time in the gym :imaposer:

Was at the KR19 presentation last night.............. really getting excited now, but Garth couldn't stress enough the importance of having our navigation on point and sorted..... As they make the navigation extremely challenging..... this was confirmed by a couple of last years competitors.

Fun times ahead!

Offline Ross Riddle

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 03:06:33 pm »
Hey,

Sorry for the hijack, my two cents worth!
You cannot not go and get the suspension set up correctly on the bike - the tower, fuel tank, extra weight carried all effects the bike's handling.

Bite the bullet get it set-up correctly and you can tweak thereafter.

Ross
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

Online CDog

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »
Hey,

Sorry for the hijack, my two cents worth!
You cannot not go and get the suspension set up correctly on the bike - the tower, fuel tank, extra weight carried all effects the bike's handling.

Bite the bullet get it set-up correctly and you can tweak thereafter.

Ross

Hey Ross................

Thanks for the comments, what I meant was -

Having all the gear on the bike..... taking myself , in my gear and the fueled and kitted bike to Hilton Hayward and have it setup 100%!!!!

Wanna ensure it is done correctly and all i need to worry about is minor "tweaks"

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 10:23:23 pm »
Hey Mark,

Hows all the training & bike building going on your side?!
I have the Rally Lite Setup going with an F2R RB and a ICO MAX & MAX G setup, all working hundreds  :ricky:
Also now sorted with the Scotts Damper & a Sub Bar mount........ overall very happy!

Am thinking of getting a professional Suspension setup done at some point.......as I would like it to be done right!!

Quite happy with how everything is looking. Just need to spend more time on the pegs , and even more time in the gym :imaposer:

Was at the KR19 presentation last night.............. really getting excited now, but Garth couldn't stress enough the importance of having our navigation on point and sorted..... As they make the navigation extremely challenging..... this was confirmed by a couple of last years competitors.

Fun times ahead!

Hey man ... yeah all going strong this side.

The last of my stuff arrived this week, which was the 5L rear tank, HDB Rallye Lite tower and some proper fuse boxes.

I must say the HDB is some awesome kit. Light, small but very strong.

I'm busy doing all the wiring now for the nav kit, like I did on my 701, which will take some time.

Also designing some new roadbook mounts and some other bits specifically for the 501.

Regarding suspension ... for me its the first upgrade I do. I run cone valves on my 701 and I am awaiting them for my 501. I already have the trax shock in the rear.
It's going to be a little bit of trail and error, but have good experience from setting up the 701.

Ross sent me a roadbook from last year ... and I can see what they mean. The longest stretch between two tulips was I think 1.2km, the others all very short, so is very demanding navigation wise.

We've got our presentation tomorrow, which I'm really looking forward too.

Catch you soon
Mark
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:29:09 pm by SparkMark »

Offline Garth Roberts

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • RR500XC-RALLYE
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:52 pm »
HI ALL

THERE WILL BE PRESENTATION EVENING, 6PM FRIDAY NIGHT, 29 MARCH 2018
@ EDDY TO RACE...FOR RALLY & ADVENTURE GUYS!
KR19 HAS AN ADVENTURE CLASS WITH GPS TRACKS, STARTING BEHIND RALLY GUYS,
BUT WITH ALL THE SAME RALLY & SAFETY SUPPORT AS THE RALLY GUYS!

ADVENTURE RAID CLASS IS FOR ADVENTURE BIKES AND STANDARD 4X4's.
THERE' A LOT MORE DETAIL TO THIS.
JOIN US AT EDDY TO RACE, TO FIND OUT HOW YOU CAN EXPERIENCE THE KALAHARI RALLY  2019
WITHOUT HAVING TO RACE IT!

SEE YOU THERE!!!

www.kalaharirally.com

The following users thanked this post: CDog

Offline Garth Roberts

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • RR500XC-RALLYE
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 10:46:00 pm »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:48:58 pm by Garth Roberts »

Offline Ross Riddle

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2019, 07:10:45 am »
Spread the word guys.
This is an amazing adventure as well as you are now getting the opportunity to see what a rally is all about without going in blind.
EVO 50X, Honda Racing replica Pocket bike, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Husky 450 FE Rally Conversion

The following users thanked this post: Garth Roberts

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »
Another quick update ...

Making some good progress.

Nav stuff is pretty much all wired up now, and the final design of the RB and pickup mount are done.

Fitted my cone valves last week as well ... makes a big difference.

I started a build thread for more detail.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=236276.0

Cheers
Mark

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 01:33:53 pm »
Guys,

For my crew, would anyone be able to give me a "typical day in the life of the service crew" at KR ?

Just want to give him an idea of what's going to be expected of him before, during and after the race.

Obvious one would be to service the bike ... but for instance if I have an issue can he drive out to me to help ?

What else would he typically do ?

Cheers
Mark

Offline Ross Riddle

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 08:47:09 am »
Driving! a hellva lot of driving!

Not to much to do whilst you racing and there are only certain spots they can help you out whilst on liaison (I think) but no help during the special.

All they can do is make sure that you have all the supplies you need for the evening and the following day, assist in servicing bike, changing tyres etc when in and you are at briefing. Making sure tent and gazebo is up.

The camaraderie with the pit guys and girls is fantastic and they all help each other out.

Potentially long nights if any repairs are needed

Main thing is to enjoy it and from past experiences they only do it once because the next year they are racing!!!!!

Online CDog

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 09:18:51 am »
MORNING ALL........ :ricky:

Things have been quiet here, and seeing as time is now drawing nearer, wanted to see how everyone was going?
Who all has entered and is confirmed for the KR19?

Hows all the builds and progress going?!

I have my '16 500 6days, on which I now need to start doing some conversion work............
I have the 19l Acrebis LR tank which i will be fitting. I also bought a 5l Rear Tank from NL design, but unsure if I will need this or not? Whats the thoughts here?!

I have all the Nav Gear, just need to get all the wiring  done....... hoping to make a start in the next week or two.
I will be running a F2R Roadbook & Rearlight, as well as 2 x ICO Rally MAX-G's....... one for Trip, one for CAP.

Whats everyone with doing with gearing / sprockets? What you guys running?!

Cheers,

Craig

Offline SparkMark

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:17 am »
Hey Craig,

All good from my side ;-)

My bike is complete bar a sticker kit now, which I'll wait until closer to the time.

I would take the 5L, just so you have the cushion. I've got 20, and that is going to cut it close I think (especially if you get lost).

I'm running stock gearing. I can sit happily at 120km/h so that'll be good enough for me.

One thing I changed in my wiring, is that instead of switches I used a relay to turn everything on. I power the relay from the license plate light.

Cheers
Mark