Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Adventure Roads 2019  (Read 11818 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Honda Adventure Roads 2019
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2019, 01:07:49 pm »
Kobus what happens with the bikes after the event? Any chance of picking up a bike at a great price?

Daar is net 4 bikes van Honda SA en 4 rentals van SA.  Die res gaan alles terug Frankryk toe.  Die SA bikes sal heel waarskynlik as demos by die agente verkoop word.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2019, 02:01:41 pm »
As dai bike Rumbux opgehad het sou daar nie n gat in die casing gewees het nie....

Stem is beter maar - 'n Rumbux kry ook maar sy dag (was 'n frats, R darem wyer as daai)  :deal:
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMOíS Ride Reports

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2019, 03:19:04 pm »
Did Barreda make the ride ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2019, 05:13:27 pm »
Kobus what happens with the bikes after the event? Any chance of picking up a bike at a great price?

Daar is net 4 bikes van Honda SA en 4 rentals van SA.  Die res gaan alles terug Frankryk toe.  Die SA bikes sal heel waarskynlik as demos by die agente verkoop word.
Hulle is seker almal L/H drive ne..
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
Honda Adventure Roads 2019
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2019, 12:03:47 am »
Fed, showered and washing done, letís continue:

We left the picnic spot yesterday afternoon and continued our journey to Tiffendel.  It certainly is Adventure bike heaven.

The beauty of the area is very difficult to put in to words and you have to simply experience it yourself.

All 3 our vehicles were traveling together and at short intervals someone was expressing their experience of how beautiful it is.  We were traveling substantially slower than the bikes and the other rental vehicles.  Hardy had a heavy load to pull and Janco was carrying our precious load with all the spares.

The high altitude was noticeably affecting the turbo charged diesel vehicles.

Reaching the plato on our way up to Tiffendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:37:26 am by Kobus Myburgh »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2019, 12:19:25 am »
Despite a couple of tumbles, we did not have any mechanical issues to attend to.  We have seen it on two Quests and now again and can honestly say that these bikes crash really well.

Just before the turn off to Tiffendel, we decided that again it was not worth risking the trailer and bikes, as well as our spares vehicle trying to go up to the resort.  We knew there wasnít much to attend to and the decision was made that Janco and Hardy will stay in Rhodes while myself and Oom Bonnie join the group at Tiffendel.

Upon our arrival we got going with the necessary maintenance immediately to make use of the last bit of remaining daylight.

A couple of clutch levers were replaced.  (The ATís OEM handguards is unfortunately a must do upgrade, especially if you plan on falling.  ;)). The majority of chains needed adjustment, tyre pressures were checked and and and ...........

The guys were in high spirit and gave the pub some proper support last night!

I went to bed very content.

Day 4 will continue tomorrow, time permitting ..........

I leave you with a couple of pics off the WhatsApp group:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:36:36 am by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2019, 06:35:51 am »
Ek verlang nou sommer baie na daai wereld Kobus, definitief adventure bike heaven!

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80GS. KTM 790R
    • BLOMEYERS
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2019, 12:50:07 pm »
Kobus i saw you chaps up Sani on Sunday. Nice ride report .Thanks.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2019, 01:51:29 pm »
Day 4 - Tiffendel to Gariep (350km)

We were up early as we still had one or two things to do prior to the group leaving, which included a clutch lever replacement.

After breakfast, meeting and riders briefing, the group were ready to tackle the South African roads.

Everyone assembled just outside the gate and the riders were set off one by one to allow a dust gap and some drone footage.

We past the quaint little town of Rhodes again and straight after the pace picked up, making it a challenge for us to stay with the group.

The scenery again did not disappoint, although time to take pictures were few.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:53:55 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »
Weíre leaving Nieu Bethesda now so the story will have to continue later .........

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2019, 02:14:44 pm »
Lekker om te sien hoe bikers my tuisdorp geniet, 3de laaste foto is op my ouers se plaas.

Hierdie lyk na 'n bevange trip, ons toer saam hier  :thumleft:
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2019, 03:05:05 pm »
As dai bike Rumbux opgehad het sou daar nie n gat in die casing gewees het nie....

Die manne van Honda Europa het gister hoekal gesÍ hulle is besig om te kyk na beskerming vir enige toekomstige byeenkomste van die aard.

Al moeilikheid met dieAT's is dun engine casings en papwiele. Weettie hoekom At so baie papwiele kry nie
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2019, 03:35:59 pm »
 :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2019, 06:14:16 pm »
Day 4 - continued ......

Our lunch stop for the day was Lady Grey.  At the mornings briefing it was mentioned that there were strikes happening in this small town.

As we got closer to town, we were notified that the strikes were still underway and we need to take an alternative route through one of the farms.

These deviations makes for great fun with an adventure bike or 4x4, but if you are towing a huge trailer and have a 4 x 2 bus, it makes life unnecessarily challenging.

We however made our way through and had lunch at the planned venue.

After what felt like half a day of lunch stop, the local police service informed us that it was a good time to leave as a window of opportunity opened with strikers dispersing, or maybe taking a break, who the hell knows with these okes.

We left town in close convoy.  Rocks and rubber bullets were flying but all made it unscathed.  I can just imagine what went through the minds of our foreign visitors.  It was probably a good thing in a sense for at least a handful of people to see what really happens in our country.

Out of town and it wasnít long before we got onto some gravel roads again.  It was late and the guys were picking up the pace to a point where we got nervous.

Not long and we received the notification for technical assistance.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2019, 06:32:28 pm »
As we picked up the pace to attend to the distress call, another one came in.  We decided to split the team with myself and Oom Bonnie attending to the first one and Hardy and Janco the second one.

Both were rear flats, ours had a nail in it and Iím not sure of the cause on the other one.

Team Janco and Hardy however also got to the scene of a crash.  One of the riders came in way too hard in a sharp corner, overshot it (in 4th at the time) and went straight over a ledge.

We didnít see the scene but apparently the rider was extremely lucky not to seriously injure himself.  As for the bike, well, letís just say that if your in France and looking for a demo, maybe give this one a skip.

The rest of the way to Forever Resort Gariep fortunately went without incident.

When the guests kick of their shoes at arrival, our work starts.

Worked carried on until late evening, but nothing serious.  Ďn Africa Twin breek mos nie.

After < 1400km, the first rear tyre was toast!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:32:59 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Hollywood

« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2019, 07:00:28 pm »

Spanmaat... my bike het Rumbux op gehad tydens Quest, en ek het steeds 'n klip deur die bash plate gekry wat my Engine Casing gekraak het... jy weet mos... ons het saam die Pratley Steel opgesit...
Addicted to riding big bikes in tricky places.
Rode most of Southern Africa.
Currently riding a slightly pimped black Africa Twin Manual, named Fezile

Offline Rickus

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:51 am »

Spanmaat... my bike het Rumbux op gehad tydens Quest, en ek het steeds 'n klip deur die bash plate gekry wat my Engine Casing gekraak het... jy weet mos... ons het saam die Pratley Steel opgesit...

Ek weet swaer....wat ek eintlik bedoel met my stelling is dat die Rumbux baie beter beskerming bied teen die kante as die bashplate wat hier gewys word en dat dai spesifieke skade verhoed sou word deur Rumbux....

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
Did Barreda make the ride ?

Barreda who?

You mean this guy?

What an honor and a privilege!!!!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:08:04 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2019, 01:13:46 pm »
As julle die kant toe beweeg en daai manne BREEK nog iets en jy wil sweis kom loer maar in.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2019, 01:27:57 pm »

-David Livingstone-