Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to Canadian- We're making the move  (Read 1705 times)

Offline chillin_in_bots

How to Canadian- We're making the move
« on: February 23, 2019, 02:49:42 pm »
Now that flights are booked, it has become a daunting reality. We're emigrating too.

On the 26h of March we'll be flying out, destined for Lloydminster in Alberta. It's been a long process and we started with things two years ago. We've moved around a fair bit and have had to adapt more than a couple of times- so we're looking at it as an adventure that will have great times, challenges and more than a couple of tears and laughs! I'm from JHB, lived in Botswana for 9 years and have been back in JHB for about 4 years. My wife was born in the UK, grew up in Botswana and Zim and then completed her studies in Aus. She's got a couple of passports after all the trouble but we'll like to keep those as a plan B. All I have access to is the faithful Green Mamba and the priority is for me to get another passport. Canada currently has a huge immigration drive and they have simplified the process to being all online. It's not a walk in the park though.

I'll like to extend my thanks to the support of the fellow dogs (especially Immigrant) through this process and will happily pay it forward. Anyone heading over that way- get in touch!

This thread is going to be here to document the huge unknown of the cold, wet, white stuff and to answer the simple questions like "Where does your dog SH!T?"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:32:07 pm by chillin_in_bots »

Offline BLK

Re: How to Canadian- We're making the move
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:21:57 pm »
I fully support your move and wish you and your family the best.Its take great courage and I admire it.

Offline demonoid

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 03:57:25 pm »
I see a forum name change may be on the cards....
 :imaposer:

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 04:13:21 pm »
Congrats.  And its generous of you to offer the assistance. Just make sure they arent as full of crap as certain other countries with regards to advice. Where I am going, if you even give a dash of immigration advice, you may incure a $100 000 fine and be banned from the country… and they do troll the web.

I hope you guys love Canadia and settle in soon. :thumleft:
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline chillin_in_bots

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 06:36:55 pm »
Congrats.  And its generous of you to offer the assistance. Just make sure they arent as full of crap as certain other countries with regards to advice. Where I am going, if you even give a dash of immigration advice, you may incure a $100 000 fine and be banned from the country… and they do troll the web.

I hope you guys love Canadia and settle in soon. :thumleft:

Many thanks. Yeah- it seems that the other countries that still have the "middle men", protect that industry. We got taken for a ride when we first looked into Canada- paid guys $3k to start the process and they were just smoke and mirrors. That was before the new online Express Entry. Now even the "experts" submit it like everyone else.

It would also explain why there are no NZ online forums or support groups on the immigration side of things. UK and Canada have lots...

All the best with your move too. When are you heading over?

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 07:00:17 am »
Exactly like you say  :thumleft:

I fly out on 7th March for provisional fixed term contract. Going to that place with no forums or online groups   :biggrin:

Canada was on the cards too, as a possibility. I hope you guys love it there.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 01:44:41 pm »
If I was moving to Canada all I could possibly be thinking about is THIS  :deal:

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 03:08:09 am »
If I was moving to Canada all I could possibly be thinking about is THIS  :deal:

:drif: :drif: :drif:

should also work in the sand  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:53 am »

Online Whatsupwes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 09:58:25 am »
Good Luck Ross

Im sure its going to be an awesome experience! Im looking forward to your pics of Cars and Bikes when you get there!!

Cheers
Wes

2004 & 2008 Yamaha BWS
2016 - KTM 690 Duke
2004 - BMW F650GS
2013 - R1200GS LC
Live the Life You Love - Love the Life You Live

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 04:22:15 pm »

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
Insane!!!!
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »

On the 26h of March we'll be flying out, destined for Lloydminster in Alberta....

Your time is almost up Ross. Get ready for the adventure
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:45:55 pm by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha R1, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 05:00:12 pm »
Congrats on the move and I wish you and your wife all the success!!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 05:46:42 pm »
Over a 30-year career in exploration I've met a fair numbers of great people from Canada, and have been there a few times. I'm sure you guys are going to have a very interesting time, with challenges, fun and victories. Enjoy it!

Offline chillin_in_bots

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:03 pm »
Many many thanks for all the well wishes. WE HAVE ARRIVED!!!
The past couple of weeks has been a mildly stressful experience with need to consolidate our lives into 46kg each. We have put sentimental things into storage in Bots and in JHH- these things can follow through later or as friends and family visit, we can slowly transfer things over.

We left on Tuesday evening with a Dubai-Seattle-Edmonton routing. 33 hours in total with Dubai to Seattle being a 13 hour daytime flight. Almost as bad as the JHB to Atlanta leg. It was nice to land at Edmonton as it's not one of the major immigration points of entry and we were the only "newbies" going through the process. It took us about an hour for them to process our work permits and verify all of our documents. So as we stand we have 2 year permits from the day of entry, not approval in SA. We are still waiting on the permanent residence applications as our primary goal but this interim phase sure does take the pressure and uncertainty off us.

First hurdles- car rental: Budget spat out my credit card even though I had requested international travel with RMB. Borrowed their land line for a call to the help centre and they confirmed it had been done. I used the ATM and that was not a problem either. Eventually we tried two other rentals and Hertz had the luck in getting us some wheels!

Hurdle 2: Waze and Google maps need data! We managed to find a mall close to the airport and singed up for prepaid bundle contracts at 20:30 at night. For R600 a month we have unlimited Canadian phone calls, SMS and 12GB a month.

We managed to get through to our AirBNB and crashed at 06:00 SA time or 23:00 here. LONG trip but ever so exciting!

Todays adventures will included setting up local bank account, Social Insurance Number and then start looking at some trucks. Insurance is going to be interesting as the lack of "Canadian history" can bump up the premiums...

Edmonton outskirts from the sky

The Rocky Mountains:

Online Whatsupwes

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 03:05:07 pm »
CONGRATS ROSS!

So stoked for you guys.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Keep the posts coming!
2004 & 2008 Yamaha BWS
2016 - KTM 690 Duke
2004 - BMW F650GS
2013 - R1200GS LC
Live the Life You Love - Love the Life You Live

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »
Good luck and enjoy

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 03:58:23 pm »
Congrats man - please keep this thread alive with all your news  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 03:33:55 pm »
Awesome! Good luck  :thumleft: