CONDITION of Mitchel's Pass Hogsback Area EC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
Mitchel's Pass is situated in the Eastern Cape, between Hogsback and a little dorpie by the name of Seymour.  From Hogsback in a westerly direction,  the distance from Hogsback to Seymour is 22km.

Plenty inquire from time to time on the condition of the pass, as it was at one stage a nightmare to ride on two wheels.  No maintenance were done on the pass for several years and with each rain storm or snowfall the road just deteriorated further.  Only the bravest of the brave attempted it and some had regrets forever.  :eek7: :lol8: 

So, wifey and myself decided to do in loco (or is it on loco) inspection on the pass. 
Well, I have bad and good news.
Good news, we are still alive and kicking to tell the tale.
Bad news, the pass has been upgraded to such a stage that I will attempt it in an Avis sedan.  :deal:  :biggrin:
The big rocks that stood out and the deep ruts is no more.  You still have here and there a slight sign of a rut and some lose stones and gravel, but nothing more serious than what we are used to on our normal daily gravel routes. 

So for those who always wanted to do Michel's Pass and who where not brave enough previously, now is the opportunity, as you never know for how long the pass will stay as it is currently.  For me the pass is now just another route without the challenge, and then of course, do not forget the great scenery you will see there.

Attached some phodies of the pass.  As you will see, I tried to take picture of the worst (if you can name it as such) sections.  It is now a total breeze to ride the pass. 

The 1st two phodies is the location of the pass.

Hope this will assist those who would like to visit the area.  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Mitchel's Pass 1.jpg
    Mitchel's Pass 1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_8531.jpg
    DSC_8531.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_8536.jpg
    DSC_8536.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_8537.jpg