Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: JHB - Gordons Bay (CT) - JHB - newbie (light) trip.  (Read 1051 times)

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: JHB - Gordons Bay (CT) - JHB - newbie (light) trip.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »
Youre right!!

So much to see in the Cape and too little time for me
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline gee

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 01:31:21 pm »
nice report

The following users thanked this post: Brucet

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 08:57:40 am »
The next morning I was awake early. Temps were already around 30C at around 5am.

The karoo is dead quiet at that time in the morning. Not even insects make a noise.

After packing and doing all the stuff you do in the morning we met in the bar where Michelle had arranged some really nice vetkoek for us. We ate our fill, paid the bill which I still cant get over how cheap it was for what we got and left.
I can not rave enough about Bike X Cape and the hosts.

The dirt road was in great condition with a few spots of really slippery marble type stones covering the road. One particular spot almost caught me out as it was thick with these marbels and a patch of about 30 meters long. I ended up snaking all the way through at around 40km/h and using the side of the road as a burm. It was so close I had even picked out my landing spot, and in hindsight i think this is what saved me because my landing spot was a pile of sand on the side of the road just behind the burm. Dont know how but I survived! It was close.
This little incident, which could have been a big one, gave me a bit more confidence on the bike after I had stopped, had a look at how deep the marbles actually were by the tracks I had left and had a smoke.  :lol8:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:00:32 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Brucet

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 09:07:28 am »
As a newbie I cant really comment on how good or bad the Karoo streets are for my big heavy bike or my big heavy inexperienced ass, but I can say that I dont find the bike with these tyres very confidence inspiring. The bike seems to not want to stay in a straight line no matter what speed you do and seems very "loose" in the front almost like the bike is continually tracking.
But having said that this could be because I am more used to knobblies on light motorcross bikes.

The last 5kms of dirt road before you turn off to Sutherland was absolutely awesome with no marbles. I dont care what they say about GS riders and standing up but I did this alot and found it to be much more comfortable and found i handled the bike better.  I even managed a few small, unintentional power slides but nothing too impressive and the more experienced guys would probably laugh at me for even calling them that.

Temps were now hovering around 43C.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:27:41 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 10:52:39 am »
Temps were now hovering around 43C.
Eish!  :o

Offline Brucet

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 12:25:28 pm »
It was only about 70kms since we left Bike X Cape but the heat was killing us. I also wore my Shoei Neotec Helmet and feel I probably would have been cooler with the GS helmet as it has a peak and I think allows more air through it. I still cant decide which helmet would be better to use on a trip like this.
After hydrating a little we decided to head for Sutherland.
The more or less 40kms of tar road was a relief as we could pick up speed even more and get some air through our kit and my helmet was saturated with sweat. I tried opening my visor and droping the bikes screen but the air was just too hot. Temps climbed to 46C. It was literally a similar feeling to when you open an oven door when you get a face full of hot air.

By the time we arrived in Sutherland we were pretty drained from the heat. I actually felt damp in all my kit. After filling up, we chickened out of heading to Fraserberg along the dirt road and chose to take the easy tar road, R354,  towards Matjiesfontein. I was a little disappointed but due to the heat I knew it was probably the better option. We had not seen one other vehicle besides two parked at Padstaal and one parked at Bike X Cape in two days, and although we both had about 8 litres of water on us each, we knew if we ran into trouble that water would not go a long way.

As we left Sutherland, we saw a bunch of people standing on a small outcrop on the side of the road. They all seemed very excited about something. The adults mostly had binoculars and the kids were all jumping around like they had just won a prize or something. We could not work out what was going on.
About half an hour down the road, a convoy of about 10 trucks, with trailers full of rolled up grass/hay came towards us. Clearly the group we had seen were farmers who where, excitedly waiting for these trucks to arrive so they could feed their animals. A harsh reality check of what these poor people must be going through in that area.

The R354 ended up being a pretty awesome route. You pass through varying terrains. Small canyons, some passes and some very open places. Really enjoyed it but the heat did not let off.Apart from the trucks we didnt see any other vehicles.  We stopped several times and I must say I am very glad that i purchased the camel back before the trip. The water however wasnt very cold but in that heat it was cold enough.

Temps hit 49C for a while but then cooled down to 46C again.

By the time we got to the N1 we decided to just head for Gariep dam. Maybe second time we will be lucky with the weather.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:17:09 pm by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 08:26:57 am »
Have I mentioned that I am jealous, would have loved to been on this trip too

For the heat, have you tried a wet Buff around your neck?? Its supposed to help keep your body temp lower while you ride in extreme heat like that

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Brucet

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:49 am »
Have I mentioned that I am jealous, would have loved to been on this trip too

For the heat, have you tried a wet Buff around your neck?? Its supposed to help keep your body temp lower while you ride in extreme heat like that

Thanks Mikie. I didnt even think about that. Good idea. I will try it next time.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline BLK

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 08:46:42 am »
Get yourself the BMW "Cool Vest".Works a treat in the heat.

Offline Brucet

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 09:04:03 am »
After a long, boring ride along the N1, and a few patches of rain which dropped temps alot, we arrived back at Gariep Dam. Stopped at the supermarket and bought some supplies for a braai again. We were in a drought stricken area so the chances of getting more rain seemed impossible.
The fire was lit and the usual chat about the days adventures ensued. The craziest story was how we had ridden in temps as high as 49C and as low as 18C in one day. Crazy!  Those Captains tasted great. Life was good until we heard thunder in the distance. Deja vu?
Now we must be the only people who have camped at Gariep dam twice and both times experienced massive storms. Fortunately this time we had finished eating so a fairly early night was had.

The rain came down in buckets all night but I was very comfortable and dry. Those self inflating mattress's (MH I still owe you for this one) work really well especially when you have 10cms of really soft grass under you also. We had a gent come over to us an offer us shelter in his gazeebo next to his caravan. Very kind of him. I get the impression lots of people who dont ride bikes, feel sorry for the bikers. Little did they know we were having a jol.  I guess it doesnt make sense.

It was our last night away from home.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:08:59 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Brucet

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:29 am »
Get yourself the BMW "Cool Vest".Works a treat in the heat.

Thank you. I will look into that.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Brucet

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 09:26:37 am »
The next morning I was up early. The rain had finally stopped around 5am. Sometimes it is just nice, with a cup of coffee, to watch the world wake up, especially since we were returning to the big smoke later that day.
The gent who offered us shelter was also up and came and offered me rusks. Bear in mind he was not camped next to us. He was probably camped a good 100m away. Maybe he was just tired of his wife and needed some man talk  :lol8:

We took our time to pack up. Although looking forward to getting home it was also the last day of "freedom" on the bikes.

After a long day again on the N1, we arrived to the shock of traffic and drivers in GP. At home I stripped down in the garage because even though we didnt miss any showers, our kit smelt pretty ripe and the wife wouldnt let me into the house.  :lol8:

A few notes:
- the truck drivers were awesome and always gave us space. When we stopped they all hooted and waved as they went past.
- On this trip I proved that nothing is as important as sleeping comfortably.
- Hiking equipment is perfect as its small and compact but there is no need for each person to carry the same items especially when you doing the whole trip together.
- Very happy with the tent I have. It kept me and everything else in it dry even through some hectic storms, while allowing enough air through it and not becoming stuffy. It is also a breeze to set up and pack away
- I can not think of anything negative to mention except for maybe our decission to ride in the dark. That was silly but worked out for the better.
- I still need to decide which helmet is better to use. A flip face or a full face....both have their advantages.
- Good riding kit is important in keeping you comfortable.
- Stop often and enjoy the surroundings
- I am not sure about the Karoo Streets. They are really noisy around 90km/h and then quieten down only to get noisy again between 110km/h and 120km/h. At 125km/h they quieten down again. The noise didnt really bother me but Im sure it will bother some people. Also on slightly rocky (marbles) dirt roads they dont seem to keep their line very well and always seem to have movement side to side. On good dirt roads they seemed to work well. Maybe we were pushing their limits. Oh and just north of Bloem, lots of cracks have been fixed in the road with black tar (not sure what it is) In the wet these black lines are very slippery and with them being all over the road in every direction they are unavoidable. The bike danced around like it was on ice sometimes. Not sure if this is a Karoo Street issue or an issue with all tyres.

Anyway, thanks for reading. If you have any pointers, want to kak me out for anything we did wrong or have any other comments please go ahead. I can only learn.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:53:06 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

The following users thanked this post: eberhard

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 09:44:27 am »
Nice trip, Thanks for sharing Bruce

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Brucet

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 10:53:26 am »
Nice trip, Thanks for sharing Bruce

Pleasure Mikie.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline briv

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:34 pm »
 :thumleft: Lekker trippie B, will go check that new camp out sometime  :ricky:
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline Slim Jim

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 06:47:05 pm »
awsome :thumleft:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:40 pm »
Great report and adventure! Excellent pictures as well.  :thumleft: :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Brucet

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 09:25:40 pm »
Thank you
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Nimmo

• Let your regrets not be the things you did not do.
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
Next time instead of raining out come and stay (DRY) in Colesberg 
Give me a call  :thumleft:

Lekker RR
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:16:07 pm by Nimmo »
CT110,XT250,CX500,R100RS,ZZR400,DR650RS,XT350,K100RS,R1100RS,R1100S,K1200RS,XT350,R1100GS,F650GS,F800GS,XL200,TW200, HP2, KTM 990  :amazon:
Sunset Chalets 082 493 8814

NIMMO’S Ride Reports

Offline Brucet

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
ThNk you. Will do that
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP