Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I know nothing  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Kenzogs

Re: I know nothing
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 05:44:40 pm »
Nick,

If you need a bed passing through Matola (Maputo, Moz) give me a shout. I can also direct you to back tracks away from the main roads here in South Moz.

Ken
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

The following users thanked this post: Nickel512

Offline Nickel512

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Yes today
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 02:57:27 am »
Hiya Nick,  from much experience Ö.

September - mild to hot (in the 20's deg celcius) but dry and dusty in Botswana, Malawi, Zambia etc as we're exiting a dry winter and summer rains only arrive later.
Chobe / Bots National Parks - be careful, getting from Kasane to Savuti (for example) is a no go.  You won't be permitted to enter due to safety precautions.  (unlike Kruger, Botswana parks are unfenced!).  There are however some tarred transit routes through their parks - Kasane to Ngoma, or Kasane to Nata, for example which you may use.
Solo shouldn't be a problem if you have a reliable steed.
Doing a shuttle type safari will definitely be possible along the way.  Many operators around northern and central Botswana will only be too happy to take your dollars for this.
English, opposed to American  :imaposer: :imaposer:, will be all you need.
Have fun!
I also am very interested on thoughts on camping. Iím on a budget and would prefer to camp whe possible either at campgrounds or if I donít feel I would I would be in an obvious are of predators could a put up a tent in the bush or at edge of villages n such. I donít want to do anything foolish.
Qk

Offline Nickel512

• Yes today
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 03:02:02 am »
just double check north moz as there seems to be insurgent issues/low scalwe civil war and isis type clowns at moment

Always a good idea to check, but recent info (January 2019) on the 4x4 site says security is not an issue at the moment - but we know there has been issues - check the www.4x4community.co.za and www.drivemoz.co.za websites - they generally have good info...

Nick - what are your procedures for Malaria...?
I will see my doc before leaving and bring with n take whatever is advised for my area of travel.
Qk

Offline Nickel512

• Yes today
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 03:04:32 am »
just double check north moz as there seems to be insurgent issues/low scalwe civil war and isis type clowns at moment
I am not entering the entire top one half of Moz, as north as Vilankulos then heading west.
Qk

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:28 am »
Bring your tent and sleeping bag. You will be able to camp in campsites all over your route. Maybe along the Moz coast stay in backpackers. USD goes a long way in Africa.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 11:09:21 am »
September is definitely a good choice for the time of year, moderate temperatures and not yet rainy season, winters tend to be cooler but daylight hours are limited and you DONT ride in the dark!  8)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:40 am »
This is a picture I borrowed from another website. It depicts quite well potential situations that you may encounter. Be mentally prepared as to how you will deal with such situations. Switch off your engine? Lie low? Keep engine running and slowly retreat? Start looking for an escape route? Do nothing? Pray?  Etc.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Nickel512

• Yes today
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 05:26:43 am »
Nick,

If you need a bed passing through Matola (Maputo, Moz) give me a shout. I can also direct you to back tracks away from the main roads here in South Moz.

Ken
Sounds good thanks
Qk

Offline Nickel512

• Yes today
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 05:28:48 am »
Bring your tent and sleeping bag. You will be able to camp in campsites all over your route. Maybe along the Moz coast stay in backpackers. USD goes a long way in Africa.
Thatís what I was hoping to hear, thanks
Qk

Offline RobLH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 09:03:45 am »
Thatís what I was hoping to hear, thanks

Nick,

Budget on USD10 per night for camping and USD15-20 for backpackers / dorm type accommodation. In SA, Bots and Namibia petrol will be about USD1/litre and the rest will be around USD1-50/litre. Food is inexpensive if you are buying local / markets, and beers will be way cheaper than what you are used to paying.

It can get very hot in September, it's the start of what they call "suicide month" in places like Zim, Moz and Bots. You may see days of 40 deg plus, but mornings and nights will be pleasant, your chances of rain should be minimal.Don't stress too much about animals if you are outside of Parks, rather worry about mozzies (which you have already noted).

Lastly, don't be shy to interact with locals and ask for anything - they will be very obliging and point you in the right direction. Be cautious in SA, though, particularly in the larger towns.