Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Adventure boots - what's good?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Adventure boots - what's good?
« on: March 03, 2019, 03:27:09 pm »
I'm thinking of buying some of these adventure boots ....................... coz I'm getting soft  ::)

For years, in fact forever, I've been wearing MX boots. They're great, offer max protection, balh blah .......... I've got a proper pair, SG10s, but they have some distinct disadvantages.

First one being, they are not boots made for walking, as in wandering around a town or a bit of veld, like you would do with hiking boots or similar. I'm talking more than 1km here.

Second, they've got flat soles with no tread. Great for using on the bike but crap when you want grip when paddling, climbing or walking around like a normal human being.

I've been looking at these adventure type boots and wondering whether it's worth buying a pair or maybe buying something else. Ankle protection is a must AND they must be long enough to cover the bottom of my knee braces, when I use them. Real tread on the bottom is also a must. Waterproof not an issue, I like water  :thumleft:

So, what say yous lot? What's good? Or, more importantly, what's crap?

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Kortbroek

Re: Adventure boots - what's good?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:33:29 pm »
Personally if I'm on a trip and might spend any time exploring on foot I carry a pair of flipflops and maybe a pair of takkies. Quick enough to swop out. It sucks walking around in riding kit anyhow.
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 04:03:52 pm »
I still have my navy boots. Twenty five years later and thousands of kilometres through all possible situations except snow. Very satisfied with them. Perfect for all riding conditions and also good to wear when strolling around off the bike.

I do, however, always take a second (smaller) set with. One never knows (again, I am not referring to ‘around the block trips’). E.g. when the one set is too wet, I wear the other set.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:10:55 pm »

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 06:04:17 am »
I have a pair of Forma adventure boots. They’re waterproof and I can walk in them all day long. Very, very comfortable.

Offline hugh101

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:31 am »
1st prize: MX boots and get takkies to walk
2nd prize: Sidi Adventure boots- saved my ankle in off =R10k medical bills
3rd prize: Forma Adventure boots- No protection but very comfortable =R20K medical bills
"a wise man has money in his head but not in his heart"-Johnathan Swift

Bmw 1150 GSA
Bmw  RnineT
Honda CTX 200 bushlander

Offline FIXER

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Om te MEET is om te WEET.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:17 pm »
What I would like to have is good protection boots but cool for summer use. Boots with holes for ventilation without compromising the protection. I am sure it is possible, but never saw something like that on the market. Maybe in Australia? They will also know what it is like to ride in temperatures above 35 degrees and pray for rain and wet feet!
Honda CB50, Yamaha 175DT, Honda 125XL, Yamaha XT250, BMW R80RT, R100RT, R80 G/S,    Hp2 (Eina!)  R1200 GS, Vespa GTS   (Geskiedenis)                             
Honda AT, R100 GS PD, Lambretta 150dl, Ural, Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 07:57:17 pm »
What I would like to have is good protection boots but cool for summer use. Boots with holes for ventilation without compromising the protection. I am sure it is possible, but never saw something like that on the market. Maybe in Australia? They will also know what it is like to ride in temperatures above 35 degrees and pray for rain and wet feet!

http://www.bavarianmc.co.za/online-shop/rider-gear/boots/flow-boots-ladiesand-mens-18412

Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

The following users thanked this post: FIXER

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:36:05 am »
IMO

Stick with the SG10 and carry a flat pair of takkies or slops with you

You going to buy another set of boots that you will only use when your SG10's are done and dusted.

If you have to buy a boot and you have to have a recommendation then dont mess around and get the SIDI crossfire. I had them before my SG12's and they were a fantastic adventure boot, in some ways i prefer them to the SG12 because they are more slim and much lighter.. Good support and protection, fantastic quality, I wore them for 7 years until they started to loose their form, you can walk in them once they have worn a bit but you going to have the same issues when they are brand new. The tread at the bottom is not going to have you climbing smooth rocks but its adequate.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Toors

• Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:16:57 am »
IMO

Stick with the SG10 and carry a flat pair of takkies or slops with you

You going to buy another set of boots that you will only use when your SG10's are done and dusted.

If you have to buy a boot and you have to have a recommendation then dont mess around and get the SIDI crossfire. I had them before my SG12's and they were a fantastic adventure boot, in some ways i prefer them to the SG12 because they are more slim and much lighter.. Good support and protection, fantastic quality, I wore them for 7 years until they started to loose their form, you can walk in them once they have worn a bit but you going to have the same issues when they are brand new. The tread at the bottom is not going to have you climbing smooth rocks but its adequate.

Agree... SG 12 and some offroad plakkies.....
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:07 am »
I used MX boots for the most part and had an old pair of rocky sandals that I took with me, for me this worked well enough. But if you want to park the bike in a town you cant really leave the boots with the bike.

I also had a set of fox comp 5 boots that I used, they are easy enough to walk in but dont offer very good protection.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 11:31:59 am »
In town and on road trips I use these boots (the older model):

https://www.roadrunner.travel/2014/12/28/review-sidi-road-gore-tex-boots/

They look good with jeans and offers decent protection. Good quality. I love them to bits, recently had the soles replaced and they just keep going.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:34:19 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags - whatever works for me.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:33:28 am »
I wear Alpinestar Tech 7's and these boots have saved my ankle and lower leg on more than one occasion. I am going to drill holes in them for cooling and to get the water out. Yes yes I know the water will run in there, but it does anyway and then with holes at least the water can run out again. The water sloshes around inside and if you try to pour it out it just gets absorbed by the lining...best for it to run out the bottom!
Don't compromise Rob, get properse MX boots. You have broken enough bones for now!
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:36:31 am »
Alpinestar is excellent. I wear the tech 3 boots for off road riding. They are comfortable to walk in (as comfortable as MX boots can get☺).
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags - whatever works for me.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:46:51 am »
I wear Alpinestar Tech 7's and these boots have saved my ankle and lower leg on more than one occasion. I am going to drill holes in them for cooling and to get the water out. Yes yes I know the water will run in there, but it does anyway and then with holes at least the water can run out again. The water sloshes around inside and if you try to pour it out it just gets absorbed by the lining...best for it to run out the bottom!
Don't compromise Rob, get properse MX boots. You have broken enough bones for now!

I've got proper MX boots, I was wearing them. Gaerne SG10s, can't get more proper than that. Lekker boots BUT they are MX boots. They have a smooth sole and are crap for wandering around in.

I wanna arrive in a town, get off my bike and go wander around a museum, take in some art and culture, climb a hill or go pub crawling. Or all of it at once. Clomping round in MX boots doesn't cut it.

Flexi, knee length, slim-line, grip on the sole - will check out the Formas and Sidis

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 11:54:12 am »
Oh, and the other thing.

I wanna try them on here is SA, buy them half price from fc.de-moto in Germany, fetch them from Holland next month and wear them home on the plane.

Granted, I did that with the SG10s but looked like a Star Wars stormtrooper. AND I had that white helmet with me ..................
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:55:15 am by Cracker »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:14 pm »
In town and on road trips I use these boots (the older model):

https://www.roadrunner.travel/2014/12/28/review-sidi-road-gore-tex-boots/

They look good with jeans and offers decent protection. Good quality. I love them to bits, recently had the soles replaced and they just keep going.

Sorry but those boots have 0.00% ankle support, it will help in a slide but thats about it.  :eek7:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »
Its one of those all or nothing things. Experience has shown that praying not to fall does not work for me,  :imaposer: so I have to wear proper boots.
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 03:45:58 pm »

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 03:52:22 pm »

I've got proper MX boots, I was wearing them. Gaerne SG10s, can't get more proper than that. Lekker boots BUT they are MX boots. They have a smooth sole and are crap for wandering around in.

I wanna arrive in a town, get off my bike and go wander around a museum, take in some art and culture, climb a hill or go pub crawling. Or all of it at once. Clomping round in MX boots doesn't cut it.

Flexi, knee length, slim-line, grip on the sole - will check out the Formas and Sidis

I am with the guys on proper boots, but if you want " softer " boots to slog around town with, you might just as well try out Gaerne's G - Adventures, they fit well, are comfortable and water proof , don't look too bulky.....but have zero ankle protection !