KTM 500 vs 450 vs 350. New or 2nd hand? Choices!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OomD

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
So after reading everyone responses to my Which 500 thread it seems I need a KTM. :biggrin:

The question now becomes, which model? Also, new or 2nd hand?

KTM have a 350, 450 and a 500. Why on earth would they have a 450 and a 500? Both 4-stroke, both the EXC-F model (with the 6-days variant). And, will the 350 do? I'm leaning towards the 450 or 500, andI'm considering buying new as I don't really know what kind of abuse these things go through before being sold again... It's a bit like buying a 2nd hand sports car, you just know the shit has been driven out of it already.

Or is second-hand good on these bikes? I see the run time is in hours (not distance), so if considering 2nd hand, what would a good runtime be? For example, I see one advertised with 75 hours for about R101K - I have no idea if this is a good price or not, for those hours?

These bikes get very good reviews, I must admit, and saw some vids of people doing things I can't even dream of ever doing. I'll just be spluttering along trying not to break any bones initially.

So, what would be a good number of hours to look out for if buying 2nd hand, and price range? Or is the investment in a new one worth it, for someone starting out in this line of riding?