Hyundai Enters the Heavy Dual Sport Market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoopSoosStroop

Race Dog
Reaction score
The Korean industry giant, Hyundai Motor Corporation, has just announced its entry into the highly competitive and lucrative heavy duel sport market. Its newly unveiled 1200 cc product promise to offer features and performance hence unseen in this segment.

Hyundai South Africa marketing director Kwando Huang announced at a recent press release: “We have long eyed this piece of the market, as the technology available to us in the balance of our automotive products are very close to what the typical heavy duel sport rider require. With this exiting product launch we can offer much more than what they are typically used to, at very competitive prices and with a large national dealer network.”

Mr. Huang continues: “By collaborating with Continental and asking them to develop, especially for this project, a 175/65R15 TKC 80 tyre, we are now proud to offer the Hyundai i10 DSX. As every duel sport adventurer worth their salt knows, a TKC tyre with tubeless technology enables you to go practically anywhere you want, maybe even off-road.”

At the official launch held at some or other winelands estate, invitees from the dual sport community were very excited by the prospects. Says Mr. Piet Pens of Stellenbosch, a current 1200 GSA owner: “The idea takes some getting used to, but it has ABS, has wheels, and I could not lane split with my battleship with 37 panniers anyway, so this will take the same time through traffic.  I must admit that the addition of air-conditioning, airbags and a multimedia sound system makes it glaringly obvious how far BMW has fallen behind in this market.”

Fuel consumption and range is also improved on when compared to the other offerings available with a claimed 5l/100km, previously unheard of. Luggage space is unrivaled, with an 1470 mcm (mean cube muffin) measured capacity.  Engine capacity of 1200 cc with twin overhead cams, water cooling and fuel injection is standard for the segment.

Off-road testing at the launch was confined to the standard sidewalk curb exercise (conducted outside the estate due to liability reasons). The i10 DSX passed with a slightly mangled sump, but most attendees were nonetheless impressed by the feat as they had never actually seen a heavysport ridden up and down a curb.

Spencer McSlow, currently being conveyed by an xx90 (honestly, who keeps up) KTM waxed lyrically: “It corners like it has four wheels, and the seating position is by far the best I’ve encountered on a heavy duel sport. The windscreen also seems to keep virtually all turbulence off my face and upper body. I now only have to wear one BUFF® instead of eight. It is a very refined ride, no discernible vibration and impressively; no engine heat frying my reproductives.”

Hyundai has also kept in mind that prospective owners like to stand up occasionally to stretch their legs and to air their pants, so the optional sunroof of the road-going i10 was added as a standard feature, whilst slightly enlarged and aligned with the seat. “I mean, if you are going to look like an imbecile, you might as well do it in comfort”, professed Mr. Pens, who was overheard mumbling: “Meerkat for life”, as he limped away.

The i10 DSX is here to stay with a highly competitive retail price of R184999, including a Hyundai branded helmet and cappuccino mug (for which cup holders are provided, another first in this segment).

iOvy_CyXS1jjU-7UCjhsmPxi4qXbWA1CRGhohBLGQRfc6CQ-L-UbkAFaro9llVQHqnW91zIRh46xnUUPZQi34BDdwskMXCiAmcVdZKbeb_HAVyRyIESQYHrkRrHyPqrRpMgpWe_7qVuZ0h133_kLKKDV_h_eXAOWy0XZrrz_THUj4xPS51pJl0Wr7ckNGN5d110jdPK1Ype_RLRW2b-pcjf0s7ABnhJNJ_76MdyAebeDONN2jYgfHoHX41YhgoN9CVQ0pG20P8d838gyKmbckZporGRrX1uKNhR0imOFYqV4DK7WqDnQoM6khhNMUUQz7aTJv8iotzlWFQ7R02RNJSl8AwCfn9IExfnX4REZ03IxE8ugBhQSzUcHbmW6_zRXTw1Qv2-bT1Txq0AX-DCtX3k8ncWCdac1th4ZjJ6C7u3xzbFtbONLHCwrPDypxOKlErsjnSzGsvde_Re7qXCFxSnrLrvri2knFFzvAn2KUs3KR_DFrKrSdTrieV9YtQtqPtgM7k4BUkAnj8XOrK0rDl6TDlfEj8A25DH3ieLEqNkrUElviRtqzyKykmOX6_JGT2o2pe6gC-coDvQHY2FQwmbDgiL7weziVBhoibtvjrkutdJovlHNv2MyJkF9B0-TQAfTdSCRRjc5zqgxxRjL9gFeUrdUdEIe4liWDa6eVEZX27mtvEhP1m4YpUfrD05z85z0GqqmyzDUp11S0sX3DIbh=w597-h365-no