My Ultimate Adventure Bike - based on a husky 701

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gucci

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My Ultimate Adventure Bike - based on a husky 701

Ive ridden bikes for about 9 years and always been a customised  street fighter rider but mid last year I was tired of sitting in my car in traffic and bought a "Boring commute bike" to get to and from the office.  I bought a 2014 Triple black GSA and promised my self I wouldn't mod it (I mod ALL my toys!!) as it was just a boring commute bike............I did the country trax course and at the end we did a short outride and I was hooked and loved offload riding........I then proceeded to mod the bike into something rather unique (for a BMW GSA!!!!) 

I was at the start of a custom ground up street fighter build with an engine, lots of drawings and a large parts list but the more I rode dirt and  having  met a ton of great people I decided I wanted something a little lighter and a little more unique than my current BMW and decided to bin street fighter  project and head in a different direction. The search started and stopped with the Omega kit fitted onto a Husky 701.  My custom project promptly stopped, engine sold and all focus (and ideas from that build) moved from building my ultimate street fighter to my ultimate adventure bike.

I had an opportunity to get a brand new Husky 701 which I did and then reached out to Thomas Eich - owner of Omega Carbon who listened to my ideas and helped with other issues I was having and we ended up on a rather custom and unique Omega kit!!  Through out this whole process Thomas has been amazing, he replies to emails and messages and his passion for biking is evident. 

I then had to find a builder who understood my quirky thinking and has even more attention to detail than my self - this is where I decided on Mark from Johnsonmoto who has been great, he owns a Omega 701 and a few other bikes and has more than enough knowledge and experience to point me in the right direction with my ideas and streers me clear of others!!

Personally I know nothing about bike mechanics so its important I surround my self with the right people who I believe in and share my vision  - with my little team complete I was ready to start. 

First Step:

Large Rottweiler Performance order:

* Rottweiler intake system with all the dongles, PC V, Sas removal etc
* Scotts Damper with BRP Sub Mount
* Lots of Vanasche goodies
* A ton of other bits.

Then a few other bits bought over by friends or drop shipped with MyUS:

* Trail Tech Voyager
* ASV Levers and Clamps
* Hammer Head shifter
* Oberon Clutch unit
* Motogadget blue box (I know I know - WTF is that doing on this but…….)
* Motogadget indicators
* Cycra fork protectors
* Cycra front mud guard
* Cycra Ultra hand guards
* Custom made switches and dummy lights
* Upgraded bulbs

I currently have good credit with an amazing CNC shop called ACC billet in Jhb (from my previous project) so he will be building a custom swing arm, switches and side stand - massive over kill on the swing arm I know but this whole build is out of hand!!

Im currently struggling with sourcing the right WP Cone Valve forks and Talon Ultralite wheels but slowly getting there.

Still to source / procure:

* Antigravity battery
* Tyres
* Tubes
* Bars
* Brake lines (Hel are hopefully making custom ones for me)
* Akro slip on

Julian from Superbike solutions will be getting his hands on the engine and then tuning her up when she is ready.

So as I type I currently have 2 boxes of bits, a custom number plate, a ton of ideas and no bike to fit it onto !!!

Bike should be with Mark (Johnsonmoto) in 2 weeks and the Omega kit about the same time.

First step - strip her down and get the Frame repowder coated dark grey

Final step - Devin from Woodstock Moto will photo the final build to ensure she is Pretty, clean and new looking etc then I ride the crap out of her with a huge grin on my face (Yes this will be ridden, scratched etc)

For me the idea of this thread is to get good advise from you guys and keep a record of the build for other potential builders and to look back on in time and smile!!

Let the haters hate………………………