Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zims and fuel  (Read 575 times)

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
Zims and fuel
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:31:06 am »
Hi All,

I am arranging a family and friend get together on Lake Kariba next month..Big 60 bash! I would like to say all welcome, but cash is few  :'(

I am being asked if travellers can carry their own extra fuel from SA as reports are of shortages and BS about carrying fuel? Heard about a max of 20lt allowed. Suppose in case you are suspected of dealing.
Also is anyone aware if fuel is readily available along the main routes either from Beitbridge or Plumtree?

Thanks
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline ianb

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80 G/S..R80GS. KTM1290SAR
    • BLOMEYERS
Re: Zims and fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:55 am »
We wanted to ride Zim in December. We were advised no fuel ,and then there is a queue of 8kms and you still only get a few litres .Not worth it.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 03:08:41 pm »
Seems situation changes daily. I'm told some days plenty, next day not.
Have to play it by ear I suppose.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:56:02 am »
Ping/pm 0012, he will know. :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:07:53 am »
A mate of mine went through southern ZIm 2 weeks ago and he took fuel over with him, he said that at the border there are 'officials' who demand that you give them some of your fuel when you cross over. He was carrying 20L and gave 5L away to get through .. he said that if you are a truck carrying 1000L of diesel they take 50 - 100L , then they sell it on the black market, he said there was a queue of people waiting to buy the fuel they stole.

Apparently these are organised gangs at the border controlled by the border authorities who take their cut for the guys operating there and taking fuel out of anything that can be syphoned

Now as stories go it may be exaggerated but in a country where people are surviving by being opportunistic i would at the very least be more alert to these kinds of things happening.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:08:31 am »
Kids are driving up through Beitbridge on Saturday, anyone have any idea of expected time to get through both sides, seeing as it's so close to Easter?
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:12:28 am »
Hi Steve, suggest they rather get to another post, Beitbridge is the worst of them all, two alternatives, one on each side, maybe check on Google. Personally I will never go through Bitbrdge again, rather stay home, it will not get me in jail.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 11:38:07 am »
Hi Steve, suggest they rather get to another post, Beitbridge is the worst of them all, two alternatives, one on each side, maybe check on Google. Personally I will never go through Bitbrdge again, rather stay home, it will not get me in jail.

I hear you Francois but the kids insist, seeing as they have left the planning to the last minute. If you dumb you gotta be tuff!! They need to be in Kariba on Monday morning or I'm casting off and leaving them behind.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline Gavin

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:02 pm »
Would it not be a better safer bet to go thru Botswana and Zambia , I know its further but will probably be quicker and cheaper !

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 12:53:04 pm »
Kids are driving up through Beitbridge on Saturday, anyone have any idea of expected time to get through both sides, seeing as it's so close to Easter?

I would budget about 3 hours for both sides, but Easter is still a couple of weekends away so could be quicker than that

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 01:05:07 pm »
Would it not be a better safer bet to go thru Botswana and Zambia , I know its further but will probably be quicker and cheaper !

Jip.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:10 pm »

Jip.

With two extra borders there's not much to be gained me thinks...
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 03:34:52 pm »

Jip.

You may be right.
But at least they wont run out of fuel.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 04:35:17 pm »

Jip.

You may be right.
But at least they wont run out of fuel.
Too true, Darwin rules!

Sent from my TECNO Camon CX using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 12:16:53 am »
Agree, rather have them go up through Botswana and then Plumtree.

If the go through Beitbridge have them scrutinise the VIN and plate numbers on their temp import permit, I have seen how the shysters change an L to a 1 or something similar and then their "buddy" up the road stops and finds the error forcing a fine. Even in these situations its worth not caving and refusing to pay any fine. Eventually after an hour or two of standing in the hot sun they get tired and let you go scott free. But in the words of Yoda "patience you need to have my young apprentice" ;D :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250