Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Load shedding and the economy  (Read 3625 times)

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
Re: Load shedding and the economy
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:42 am »
The knock on effect will be huge. one week or so will be manageble, after 3 weeks of load shedding water supply will be affected, backlog will start at port autorities, supply chain issues not to mention the effect on medical services. The other issue no one is mentioning is eskom back up diesel generators cant run continiusly for such long periods, soon they will be caput.....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:06:26 am by chicco »
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 09:10:43 am »
Loadshedding is maybe why Makro ONLINE cannot deliver 2 cases of beer since the 3rd of this month :dousing:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Dux

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 09:46:23 am »
For me it is an inconvenience and generally doesn't affect me too much , but I look at my neighbour with all his 3 phase machining equipment who is well and truly shafted , and of course the cost of a 3 phase generator is seriously prohibitive for him .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 10:43:35 am »
You will be pleased to know, Eskom have issued an RFI for running their Boiler care system.  ::)

"Request for information on the Provision of Technical support staff to operate the Eskom Boiler Plant Health Care system (CARAB) at Eskom Power Plants in Mpumalanga"

Closing date 27th March  8)
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 12:58:12 pm »
Projects an future investments are also jeopardised by Eskoms inability to provide power. The magnitude of this catastrophe is incalculable. Itís treason.

No, its Africa.

It just us whities who can't adapt.

It is many things, but "its Africa" it is not.  It was after all the Americans that coined the phrase "rolling blackouts".   ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:00:39 pm by TheBear »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline LionBuell

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:42 pm »
When my factory stand, it costs me  about R15k per hour in staff, machine repayments, rent.... +++. Now I hear we have to be patient. How patient will the bank / finance company be come month end. Sick of this and we can do nothing.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Except to invest in a proper generator, with the electrical switches etc to start on it's own when the power go down. I did this about 5 years ago, and although the power generated with this 4 cylinder diesel generator cost about 1.8 times the normal power, it is far cheaper than to have 55 employees sitting around doing nothing. It is a pian in the but because it is one more thing to be regularly tested, and maintained, but so far it has worked exceptionally well, without any hiccup

Problem is we consume around 50k KWh per month. A generator to give us that will be unaffordable to us. We send them home and say sorry... "they" did vote for them.

Online Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 02:54:47 pm »
 :peepwall:
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 02:59:18 pm »
 :eek7:

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 03:02:46 pm »
Venezuela here we come.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:33 pm »
I think it's way worse than what government would admit.  I wouldn't be surprised if a total blackout does happen.  There's no way they will be able to catch up with all the neglected maintenance of 20+ years in such a short time.  Everything is starting to fail at once.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 03:06:30 pm »
dont know what the issue is....it was sorted.....looks like we backed the wrong man..... :imaposer:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:08:06 pm by chicco »
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 03:10:56 pm »
Venezuela here we come.

Hopefully not.  They didn't have loadshedding and currently that is all that is standing between us and a total blackout.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Exploratio

• Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 03:27:15 pm »
I read that there are 3000 EMPLOYEES doing business with Eskom of which 1000 has been identified. And the rest?

Madupi and Kusile are over budget and behind schedule. Are there not contracts in place to which the contractors are held. I am not schooled in contract law, but some things should be straight forward. You tendered an amount for the project, and you gave a date for completion. Simple.
You don't meet any of the conditions, you start paying penalties. Simple..............or not?
XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:11 pm »
I must admit we taking strain and mainly because of the differing times, if they shut down the country all at the same time then we could at least plan.

So for example I have a client who wants 500 T shirts, 1000 DVD's and 1000 pens..

They have a deadline because they have a conference.. so whats happening is that when I need something from the client like a signed quote or artwork etc they have loadshedding, then they are on the grid and I start getting phone calls to see if i got their e-mail but I don't because i'm now loadshedding.. so its throwing my whole production schedule off, im going to give it a week or 2 before having to fork out for a generator.

I finished work at 9:30pm last night because I had to make up time to make deadline, that is staff overtime, UBER to get staff home etc.. yesterday i was flat out busy but lost money because when i quote I cant take the effect of loadshedding into account

If it carries on like this ill be looking for a job in about 3 months and that is a pretty scary thought being 46 and white in SA during an election year and shrinking economy.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »
I read that there are 3000 EMPLOYEES doing business with Eskom of which 1000 has been identified. And the rest?

Madupi and Kusile are over budget and behind schedule. Are there not contracts in place to which the contractors are held. I am not schooled in contract law, but some things should be straight forward. You tendered an amount for the project, and you gave a date for completion. Simple.
You don't meet any of the conditions, you start paying penalties. Simple..............or not?
This will happen anywhere where there is no accountability for anything by anyone...

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 09:27:23 pm »
I must admit we taking strain and mainly because of the differing times, if they shut down the country all at the same time then we could at least plan.

So for example I have a client who wants 500 T shirts, 1000 DVD's and 1000 pens..

They have a deadline because they have a conference.. so whats happening is that when I need something from the client like a signed quote or artwork etc they have loadshedding, then they are on the grid and I start getting phone calls to see if i got their e-mail but I don't because i'm now loadshedding.. so its throwing my whole production schedule off, im going to give it a week or 2 before having to fork out for a generator.

I finished work at 9:30pm last night because I had to make up time to make deadline, that is staff overtime, UBER to get staff home etc.. yesterday i was flat out busy but lost money because when i quote I cant take the effect of loadshedding into account

If it carries on like this ill be looking for a job in about 3 months and that is a pretty scary thought being 46 and white in SA during an election year and shrinking economy.
I feel your pain... busy finishing the day's uploads, hopefully no shedding tonight... :patch:

Offline fixit

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
Well at least the robbers are happy. They have a schedule to work to.  >:D

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Load shedding and the economy
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2019, 10:06:30 pm »
In court, both High Court and Regional Courts - no power, no recording and no lights. So no trial.

We can't finish even one trial. So we just postpone before we even start to avoid a partly heard matter that is postponed and onky set down again in 6 months time or even a year in the High Court.

Some of these dates were set down 6 months ago and now when a client finally gets his day in court it has to be postponed again.

Worst is - many people are held in custody, guilty or not - and can't get their day in court because of this shit. So some of them have to spend another 6 months or more awaiting a new trial date.

And yes- there is a backup generator, but it is broken and public works has been unable to fix it for the last 5 years or so. And this is in Nelspruit. Smaller courts in rural areas or smaller towns don't even have a generator.

Irreperable harm.....and the fat cats at Eksdom still has no idea....

Also- the matter is set down and I am entitled to my day fee as reserved. But how do you in good conscience charge an attorney and client your day fee for something that it not within our control to prevent? So my pocket feels it!!!!!

And to make matters worse, I only do litigation. I do not have a chamber practice where I can still earn money by using my own generator at the office.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:11:38 pm by Draadwerk »

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:22 pm »
In court, both High Court and Regional Courts - no power, no recording and no lights. So no trial.

We can't finish even one trial. So we just postpone before we even start to avoid a partly heard matter that is postponed and onky set down again in 6 months time or even a year in the High Court.

Some of these dates were set down 6 months ago and now when a client finally gets his day in court it has to be postponed again.

Worst is - many people are held in custody, guilty or not - and can't get their day in court because of this shit. So some of them have to spend another 6 months or more awaiting a new trial date.

And yes- there is a backup generator, but it is broken and public works has been unable to fix it for the last 5 years or so. And this is in Nelspruit. Smaller courts in rural areas or smaller towns don't even have a generator.

Irreperable harm.....and the fat cats at Eksdom still has no idea....

Also- the matter is set down and I am entitled to my day fee as reserved. But how do you in good conscience charge an attorney and client your day fee for something that it not within our control to prevent? So my pocket feels it!!!!!

And to make matters worse, I only do litigation. I do not have a chamber practice where I can still earn money by using my own generator at the office.

yes, it's a big fuckup, that most don't even realise - economy will take a serious knock..... and I hope we don't get downgraded

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 11:49:56 pm »
Is it not possible to use battery powered recorders and minimum lights?  Surely there must be a simple plan to be made?