Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Load shedding and the economy  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Noneking

Re: Load shedding and the economy
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 04:50:00 am »
My rooms are inside a private hospital where we run a huge Volvo generator. Also a second, smaller generator which runs as back-up for theatres should first generator fail. Not sure about the output but generator and housing about the size of a single garage. In the last 6 days we have used R15k worth of diesel. Water supply already affected in Nelspruit. We have 10000l on roof of hospital and bowser on standby should that supply run out.

Massive impact on running cost for body corporate which obviously trickles through to all owners. At least load shedding has no effect on my ability to work at this stage
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:08 am »
Joburg traffic is never good, but when the lights go off at a William Nicol the people canít get off the highway, so it stops, then the alternate routes gridlock, people must have taken hours to get home last night.
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 06:51:11 am »
Is it not possible to use battery powered recorders and minimum lights?  Surely there must be a simple plan to be made?

No - the new recording devices are actually computers - they also backup to a central server in JHB.

You won't believe how dark the court building is without lights - minimum windows. And then there is also the issue of aircon - not that it is working most of the days anyway....

Nope - nothing to be done - the scales of justice apparently also do not work once loadshedding starts

Offline chicco

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 06:58:33 am »
Had to go for a new passport at home affairs, They are already overloaded and can only do about 140 people a day so you need to be there at 05h00 in the morning to ensure you get in for the day. so I was sitting on a camping chair from 5 to 8 untill the doors open, I was about 10th in line, took them an hour to get the system online.....then things started to move, load shedding at 10,, I was 2nd by that time, so had a to wait 2 hours untill power back on....again 30 min to get system online, I walked out 12h50.......
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 07:01:10 am »
Jeez, why the already slow wheels of justice must get even slower when a simple device will suffice is beyond me. But as you said, even the gennies dont run. 

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:52 am »
I have 44 staff in a factory and been losing 4 hours a day production. Generally we have a good understanding and communication but on Monday I asked for any ideas how we can minimize the impact for instance shifting breakfast and lunch into the load shedding times each side of the day. One cheeky bugger chirped no he is not going to do that because he is not hungry then. So that is 176 production hours lost a day trying to keep everyone busy. All our stuff is handmade but needs some basic machinery through certain phases of the day. This combined with a tough retail market certainly makes you wonder how long you still going to be employed but we soldier on  :patch:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 08:40:52 am »
I have 44 staff in a factory and been losing 4 hours a day production. Generally we have a good understanding and communication but on Monday I asked for any ideas how we can minimize the impact for instance shifting breakfast and lunch into the load shedding times each side of the day. One cheeky bugger chirped no he is not going to do that because he is not hungry then. So that is 176 production hours lost a day trying to keep everyone busy. All our stuff is handmade but needs some basic machinery through certain phases of the day. This combined with a tough retail market certainly makes you wonder how long you still going to be employed but we soldier on  :patch:

If you start retrenching, you know who to start with
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:41 am »

If you start retrenching, you know who to start with

This is a staff member that's very good at what he does and always performs, with 4 sick days in 10 years, I try to take most of these chirps/comments with a pinch of salt and understand the mentality and reasoning behind it  ;) Everyone is frustrated and fed-up with the government and ANC. It is easy to say yes you voted for them, how do you or I know if someone actually voted and for whom  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

The following users thanked this post: Mikie

Online Edgar

• The ultimate
  • Local Mods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:20 am »
We have a massive, and I mean massive generator powering our office building. All 17 floors X3 office towers. I can only imagine how much diesel that generator must use for every hour that it is running.  :o 

Offline TheBear

• Time for a free lunch! *buuurpp*
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2019, 09:36:23 am »
I read that there are 3000 EMPLOYEES doing business with Eskom of which 1000 has been identified. And the rest?

Madupi and Kusile are over budget and behind schedule. Are there not contracts in place to which the contractors are held. I am not schooled in contract law, but some things should be straight forward. You tendered an amount for the project, and you gave a date for completion. Simple.
You don't meet any of the conditions, you start paying penalties. Simple..............or not?

Not so simple.  In many cases the reasons for the delays are Eskom and they own penalties to the contractors and suppliers.  In others, they pay the penalties, but that does not alleviate the issue at hand, i.e. project not completed. 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:11 am »
I read that there are 3000 EMPLOYEES doing business with Eskom of which 1000 has been identified. And the rest?

Madupi and Kusile are over budget and behind schedule. Are there not contracts in place to which the contractors are held. I am not schooled in contract law, but some things should be straight forward. You tendered an amount for the project, and you gave a date for completion. Simple.
You don't meet any of the conditions, you start paying penalties. Simple..............or not?

Not so simple.  In many cases the reasons for the delays are Eskom and they own penalties to the contractors and suppliers.  In others, they pay the penalties, but that does not alleviate the issue at hand, i.e. project not completed.

Correct.  :sip:

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2019, 09:52:19 am »
Last night just before 10, systems have just started giving back clean logs when lights go out... wake up at 12 and see the lights come on... and off again. So here I am thinking ESKOM has tanked... wake up at 3 and see but hey the lights are back on in the rest of the house. MD had turned off the bedside light all the while.
Start up the PC and Windows anounces it is now updating... FFS!! 45 minutes later I can log in and start the update sequence... just finished before 8 and off we go again...

Fok Hierdie Kak! :sip:

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:14 am »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:38:27 am by Beebop »

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 02:34:29 pm »
 :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 03:22:57 pm »
Wonder how long it will be until someone Whatsapps me this!! ;) :lol8: :lol8:

Seeing I have my phone charged that is!! :lol8: :o >:(
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 08:12:34 pm »
Is it not possible to use battery powered recorders and minimum lights?  Surely there must be a simple plan to be made?

All fair & well but now we have to foot the bill for the government's fuckups & still have to pay for electricity that we don't receive & layout extra cash to keep our business running I need a 20/25 kva genie to keep my business running but the cost is between  R 60k & R 90k  which I can ill afford as business is shit at the moment!

I have also bought 3 x inverters & 6 x 105 amp/hr batteries at a cost of R 5'400-00 each just to keep the Office going as well as the TV & some lights in the TV room so Fuck the ANC & there Government!  :xxbah:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:28:35 pm by Oshkosh »
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline TheBear

• Time for a free lunch! *buuurpp*
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 07:40:25 am »

Seeing I have my phone charged that is!! :lol8: :o >:(

Unplug immediately, or Eskom will suck all the power out of it to prevent Stage 11 loadshedding!

Stage 11:  The come to your house and swap out all your Castle Lights with Black Labels! 
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 08:24:34 am »
Let us be positive :patch:
Start selling backup power units!
I helped a restaurant get their jenny working yesterday, they have been waiting for the techie for 3 weeks already!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:09 am »
New problem on the horizon. I see our municipality is one of those with defaulted payments to Eskom and for which Eskom plans to shut down power supply at daily intervals in an attempt to get their money. IMHO the consumers will bear the brunt, the financial loss and inconvenience due to Municipal incompetence and corruption. Totally unacceptable.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 08:49:25 am »
New problem on the horizon. I see our municipality is one of those with defaulted payments to Eskom and for which Eskom plans to shut down power supply at daily intervals in an attempt to get their money. IMHO the consumers will bear the brunt, the financial loss and inconvenience due to Municipal incompetence and corruption. Totally unacceptable.
it has to come, luckily I am a direct Eskom customer, not municipal😎