Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa  (Read 8120 times)

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
Re: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2019, 11:27:13 am »
I have been following this thread since its inception and have remained silent. No more. I know both Campbell and his dad Steve ( for 30 years) personally. They are both highly talented and dedicated guys who love what they do. Long term nobody succeeds in business by ripping people off. These arsewipe tourists have decided to tata ma chance and slander (read the title of the thread)  this reputable company. Campbell has unnecessarily gone out of his way to substantiate their incurred costs and yet there are still some of you who ask for more. Crawl back into your holes and get a fucking life other than your computer keyboard.

A bit harsh, no?  Sjoe!

taking stuff people say on the internet personally... leads to an emotional response...
I agree with the rest of the post.
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2019, 02:02:07 pm »
Frenchies moet leer bike ry. As hulle n KLR so baie gedrop het, dink net hoe sou n GS gelyk het.

Fok hulle, Amen. Koebaai. Doose.

Next time eers na Jan Staal toe, en daarna kry elkeen n dikwiel 18 spoed bergfiets.
:laughing4: Epic! :thumleft:

Offline Sylvester

« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2019, 12:54:12 am »
My view on things,

If you have an adventure bike rental company, get insurance and get the client to pay the access. Premiums must be included in rental price.

Make sure the deposit will cover the insurance access.

Use a repaired in your area and not one 700 km away (If I understand correctly the business is in Durban and some the the quotes is from Randburg? )

Have "old" and "new" bikes available for rental, The customer can decide on the risk he wants to take.

If you are the client, make sure you read and understand the conditions.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Enjoy the adventure, you cannot put a price on fun

Not as straight forward as it sounds - cause everyone has a different expectation of what "old" is.  How much scratches, bent guards and dings do you allow until it becomes too bad, and one guy's slightly damaged is another guy's "piece of scrap". 

Also very difficult for the rental company to assess and claim additional damage after a trip if the bike was rented out in a sad state to begin with. If the bike is given to the client in showroom condition, there can be no arguments as to the additional damage caused during the trip.

I personally would take better care of a bike if it was given to me in showroom condition, and that can also be a reason why a rental company would rent out bikes in showroom condition.

I have rented various bikes from different companies before - from BMWs to Harley Davidsons. All rented bikes were presented in a near spotless condition, and if there was any small scratch or chip, it would be noted on a pre-inspection form. I knew exactly what I was in for should I cause additional damage.

A better option for our good French visitors would probably have been to buy 2nd hand bikes from a reputable dealer/mechanic (a few on this forum) and have them checked through for any issues before the trip. They can then sell them back afterwards.

I consider myself a pessimist. I am therefore always right...eventually.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:32 am »
I agree that if you going to go on a real adventure ride where you are going to drop the bike, buy and sell when finished or accept that your deposit is part of your rental.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:14 am »
I also rent out a fleet  bikes so here's my two cents worth.

I get daily inquiries to rent my 690's without a guide and have always resisted and this story reinforces my resolve. (just think "nothing revs like a rental".)

The client pays the deposit with 'open eyes' and accepts the terms and conditions. Consider the deposit a large insurance excess co-payment.

If you drop the bike and damage it thens its your problem and you are liable to pay to get the bike back to the condition you received it. I don't buy the adventure biking is tough and crashing is part of the game. Chose routes you can ride and if you venture into terrain you can't handle don't expect the rental company to pay your school fees. I complete dozens  of tours without my bike falling over and when it does I carry the cost , like anybody else that rides their own bike. Obviously unlike car rentals(even 4x4 rentals) stone chips and light scratches from bushes are not 'damage' on adventure bikes.

I have a set price to respray items like crash bars if they haven't been badly ground away like the pics on Campbell's bikes. Remember to factor in removing and refitting the part as well transporting to and from the spray painters. Likewise trailering bikes to and from the bike repairer takes an hour or two out of a day and factor in your cost for two hours labour. It's our business and not a hobby.

New bikes cost in excess of R120K, add monthly insurance, services, tires, chains, lubes, trailering and unrented time and work out why bike rental is not cheap and deposits high.
As long as the rental company is upfront with the client they must pay for what they damage. "I cry you buy'.

The following users thanked this post: AfricaOffroad, Offshore

Offline WildWood

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2019, 09:06:05 am »
The bottom line is don't be a dick.

If you are not a competent rider don't rent someone else's property to live out your Dakar fantasies.

I hate having to take someones deposit. It spoils the end of a tour for me as much as for the client. And then having to deal with insurance companies, grizzly assessors, long delays and lost income ....+++.

Buy a second hand used bike and sell it after your tour if you want to take risks and not care. Rental is the convenience option and has its costs.

I've heard "but it's an off-road bike" many times. Try tell that to KTM to when you want a new one for R50K.

I put crash bars, bash plates and Cycra hand guards on the bikes to protect the clients as much as myself. They'd be happier paying R2k for a crash bar than R10K for a radiator.

Offline Campbell McCurrach

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Where we go one, we go all.
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2019, 11:43:05 am »
My view on things,

If you have an adventure bike rental company, get insurance and get the client to pay the access. Premiums must be included in rental price.

Make sure the deposit will cover the insurance access.

Use a repaired in your area and not one 700 km away (If I understand correctly the business is in Durban and some the the quotes is from Randburg? )

Have "old" and "new" bikes available for rental, The customer can decide on the risk he wants to take.

If you are the client, make sure you read and understand the conditions.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Enjoy the adventure, you cannot put a price on fun
Do you run an adventure touring or bike rental company? If you did you would have an understanding of just how horifically expensive the insurance is, not just insurance for damage, theft etc. but also the professional liability and 3rd party cover required (provided that you are a bona fide registered outfit with the Department of Tourism).

The excess in most instances for bikes of the type and capital value we utilise is as close as damnit is to swearing the same as the deposit charged.  What you are not considering is what happens when you make one too many claims with the underwriters and they eventually decide that their risk vs loss ratio has become economically unfavourable for them and decided to terminate cover. If they don't do that then the premiums and excess are readjusted to cover and yourself paying as much for insurance on five bikes as you would on five high end motor vehicles. The result of which is that your already small profit margin erodes and you're left running at a loss.

Adding salt to the would most would know that one of the first questions asked when applying for cover with a new insurer is "how many times have you claimed in the last four years", point is that there is an accumulative effect in terms of your claim record.

It was a business decision to self-insure against losses and incidental damages. Many tours down the road and many bike drops by clients too, this is the first time we had to retain deposits and because the bikes got properly wanked.

The comment regarding having the bikes repaired in JHB vs. DBN is mute given that any costs associated with the movement between the two locations was not billed to Client.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Campbell McCurrach

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Where we go one, we go all.
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2019, 12:00:44 pm »
The bottom line is don't be a dick.

If you are not a competent rider don't rent someone else's property to live out your Dakar fantasies.

I hate having to take someones deposit. It spoils the end of a tour for me as much as for the client. And then having to deal with insurance companies, grizzly assessors, long delays and lost income ....+++.

Buy a second hand used bike and sell it after your tour if you want to take risks and not care. Rental is the convenience option and has its costs.

I've heard "but it's an off-road bike" many times. Try tell that to KTM to when you want a new one for R50K.

I put crash bars, bash plates and Cycra hand guards on the bikes to protect the clients as much as myself. They'd be happier paying R2k for a crash bar than R10K for a radiator.
Appreciate the comments J, in particular that they come from someone in the industry with similar working experience in it.

There have been a lot of armchair experts hypothesizing how a bike hire and touring company should be operated. Up till now I have only noted two members commenting who I know actually have a clue.

Your decision/policy to never hire out fir self-guided tours is the right one. This particular tour marked the end of us ever allowing it again. 'Nothing revs like a rental' is spot on.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Eendstop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2019, 12:50:16 pm »
I suppose rental car companies experience similar problems. I rented a Toyota RAV4 2 weeks ago with 24k km on it. It looked like it has 200k km on it from stone chips and dings. However, I always pamper rental cars as my own and will do so with a bike as well and have never lost a single cent of deposits. The thing is, there is no way for the rental co. to know who will use and who will abuse it. Although, car rental companies seem to 'live' with some scars on the vehicles and do not restore them after every use, given, some of the damage on these bikes simply had to be repaired, the question is whether it was necessary to do it to the extent it was done? I do not have the answer as I am not in the business.
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2019, 07:25:28 pm »
Unfortunately, after all the dust has settled, the one certain that remains is a question mark behind a business. Not deserving.
Regardless of who was wrong or right, or if there is a side to be chosen.
Okay, maybe some people can learn from this. One positive.
Social platforms is exploited by the weak, to justify their own shit, and to gain sympathy.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2019, 07:44:29 am »
I suppose rental car companies experience similar problems. I rented a Toyota RAV4 2 weeks ago with 24k km on it. It looked like it has 200k km on it from stone chips and dings. However, I always pamper rental cars as my own and will do so with a bike as well and have never lost a single cent of deposits. The thing is, there is no way for the rental co. to know who will use and who will abuse it. Although, car rental companies seem to 'live' with some scars on the vehicles and do not restore them after every use, given, some of the damage on these bikes simply had to be repaired, the question is whether it was necessary to do it to the extent it was done? I do not have the answer as I am not in the business.

I gave back a rental car yesterday morning after 12 days of use. Went through the vehicle and the checklist with the agent at drop-off, boarded my flight and went home. Landed at O.R. four hours later and my deposit was back in my account already.....HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE, you may ask where you a French national ( Comment est-ce possible?)....easy, I looked after property that did not belong to me. BUT, I was also ready to take the responsibility if I did/could not.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:49:18 am by Vintage_Mania »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.