Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa  (Read 5889 times)

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
Re: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 03:25:16 pm »
As always there is the other side of the story..........
Waiting to hear what it is
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »
Would you keep quiet if you were scammed?
I'd be screaming from the rooftops.

You obviously know more than we do , using words like "scammed "?  :peepwall:
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 04:11:00 pm »
I'd say, having a gander at the pics from their trip, that some damage was caused to at least one bike. Question is - what, if anything, did the respective parties agree to regarding damage caused on the trip. Someone has unreasonable expectations. Be interesting to see which party it is.

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 04:37:25 pm »
Seems like the lads had a nice time if yoou look at the pics. They lucky they didnt take BMW's. You drop that and 600 Euro is peanuts.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS x 2, R1200GSA x 3, K1200LT, G450X

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 04:45:01 pm »
If a client pays a damage deposit, and he damage the bike, then the money to repair the bike will be taken
from that deposit money.

The client signs and accept the contract with terms and conditions and pay over the deposit, which means
he is willing to sacrifice the deposit should something/damages happen.

Once the damage is caused, he forfeits the deposit and walks away and carry on with his life.
If the bike was handed over to the client with no damage and he returns it with damage, then
the deposit must be sacrificed. It is only fair and it's binding by the contract.
He caused the owner of the bike damage and according to the contract the owner needs to be
reimbursed as stipulated in the contract.

Whether the owner of the bike use that money to repair the bike or not, it is still fair that he is reimbursed.
Technically he can do with that money whatever his heart desire.

The question however remains whether this is morally the correct thing to do  ?  :patch:
By not showing proof of repairwork with invoices and proof of payments, it leaves one with the bad feeling that you've been
done in. I think this is crux of this situation.

Technically speaking the rental guys are within their rights...........................but is it the right thing to do ?   :patch:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:54:45 pm by Operator »

Offline Ber

• Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
Thank you everyone for reading my story.
It was a great trip... unfortunately, with a sad ending.
Too bad. We wrote about it because we were angry about the scam, but also to warn anyone else that with Adventure Bikes Safari you may lose your whole deposit for almost nothing: we agreed to pay for the damage of course, not to refurbish the bikes ! (a 2010 KLR is not a 2018 BMW !) 10,000R may not be a lot for a BMW, but 3 times 10,000R for 3 KLR, that's not bad !

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:14 pm »
Ok to cause R30 000 of damage on three KLR's it mustve been badly damaged.

So maybe the guy has a point.

Would love to here the other side of the story :thumleft:
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

The following users thanked this post: Hinksding

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:24 pm »
If a client pays a damage deposit, and he damage the bike, then the money to repair the bike will be taken
from that deposit money.

The client signs and accept the contract with terms and conditions and pay over the deposit, which means
he is willing to sacrifice the deposit should something/damages happen.

Once the damage is caused, he forfeits the deposit and walks away and carry on with his life.
If the bike was handed over to the client with no damage and he returns it with damage, then
the deposit must be sacrificed. It is only fair and it's binding by the contract.
He caused the owner of the bike damage and according to the contract the owner needs to be
reimbursed as stipulated in the contract.

Whether the owner of the bike use that money to repair the bike or not, it is still fair that he is reimbursed.
Technically he can do with that money whatever his heart desire.

The question however remains whether this is morally the correct thing to do  ?  :patch:
By not showing proof of repairwork with invoices and proof of payments, it leaves one with the bad feeling that you've been
done in. I think this is crux of this situation.

Technically speaking the rental guys are within their rights...........................but is it the right thing to do ?   :patch:

Be keen to see the contract. What tolerance was given? I mean its an "African Adventure" trip so some sort of spill or fall must be budgeted for??? I mean ive stopped going to Lesotho because its hooligan juice for me and ends up costing me big repair money.

Just be interested in seeing the contract and what tolerance was might have been given. Then compare that to the condition of the returned motorcycles.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 04:50:25 am »
 :sip:

Offline Highsider

• I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vadar
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 06:05:11 am »
I know both Steve and Campbell personally, and consider myself a reasonably good judge of character.  These two guys are about as straight-laced “by the book” as you get. 
I am sure there will be a reasonable explanation for this unfortunate situation in due course.  One needs to be extremely careful how social media can damage people’s reputations prematurely or unfairly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride...
KTM 990 Adventure '08
BMW R850R '95
KTM 525 EXC '04

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Been

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:59 am »
 :sip:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline Campbell McCurrach

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Where we go one, we go all.
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 07:01:17 am »
Probably prudent that I provide a response, both in my own defense as well as that of Adventure Bike Safaris (Pty) Ltd.

To begin, our biggest mistake was breaking our own golden rule of hiring out our bikes for a self-guided tour with three foreign riders whose riding competence was unknown and whose intention was to do 11days through Lesotho on the routes less traveled.

It is not uncommon for touring companies or bike hire companies to take a security deposit or damages deposit. Most in SA will required circa R20-R25k, we take R10k as we consider that to be enough to sort out any incidental damages with any balance remaining returned to the client.

When you have clients asking you the day before departure to 'remind them' how to change a tyre or note that they have not arrived with all the proper adventure riding gear then you know there's probably trouble coming.

All our clients sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) as well as an indemnity. The MOU is implicit in terms of "you bend you mend" and both the hiring client as well as ABS inspect the bikes before the trip and use to satisfy themselves that there is no existing damage present. The same exercise is repeated on return.

In the event of having to claim against the security deposit we then supply reasonable proof of cost by way of supplying quotes and invoices for the repairs and we use reputable workshops who are reasonably priced as well as claim costs at trade cost without markups added in order to reduce impact on the client's final account. The client has every opportunity to contact the workshop and vet the costs for themselves I.e. it's all open book. In this instance the Client did not even place an email or call to the workshop, had they done so they would have received validation in this regard.

We pride ourselves in keeping our bikes in pristine condition and anyone who has ever seen or used then will confirm the same. What we received back after the Frenchman's  11day trip were bikes that required;  respraying, cracked and bent crash bars, a radiator replacement, broken mirrors, mangled hand guards, destroyed chain guard (one bike having its swing arm damaged by the chain eating into it) thanks to no lubrication or tensioning occurring over circa 2500kms despite the Clients having been instructed on how to as well as being supplied with tools and lubrication. The list goes on and I'd be happy to post it here along with the invoices and photos in order to clear our name. The damages and repairs thereof cost a few grand more than the deposits value and we wrote that excess off. The 3rd bike is still being repaired and we have had three bikes out of service for 2.5months with associated loss of potential income in not being able to accommodate new inquiries.

The long and the short of it is that we had three mechanically incompetent foreign clients bite off more than could chew vis-a-vis Lesotho off road riding, suffer multiple falls and drops badly damaging three bikes which left the garage in perfect condition and in good working order.

This is the first complaint ever made against us or our company, in contrast to a Facebook page littered with many raving reviews about our good service and professionalism.

C'est la vie.

Campbell McCurrach
o.b.o Adventure Bike Safaris (Pty) Ltd.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: AfricaOffroad, Wild Hearted Son, RobC, Fuzzy Muzzy, Been, Knucklhead, ultraflight, Bravofox

Offline JC

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 07:12:35 am »
Vat so  ;D  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline XTZFegen

• Audere Est Facere
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:52 am »
Ja Lesotho is a bike breaker thats for sure and if you dont know what your doing or have little respect for the machine your riding it can quickly add up.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 07:30:22 am »
Ja Lesotho is a bike breaker thats for sure and if you dont know what your doing or have little respect for the machine your riding it can quickly add up.
Very true and it is very easy to badly damage your bike there if you are not carefull!
Levi had experience and still did serious damage to his bike in Lesotho, those guys can be glad that they were able to conclude their trip without recovery needed!
I like open book operations. Good on you guys. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

The following users thanked this post: Been

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:06 am »
Well done Campbell and thanks for coming and giving your side of the story.

I can attest to seeing one of their rental bikes on a trip I did recently and I can confirm that it was in immaculate condition.
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Been

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:41 am »
Thanks @Campbell McCurrach for giving your side on here   :thumleft:

->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:43 am »
Dropping a bike, whether in Lesotho or anywhere else breaks them. And spending 10k on a couple items is done very easily.

Sounds to me like ber wants proof of repair - show him. If you have already, do it again. It's always worth trying to get him back on your side, or to at least have him acknowledge he could have been wrong.

And, very importantly, for everyone. Spare parts cost the same, no matter what you ride nor how old the bike is.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 08:23:31 am »
It is very easy to slant some-one on social media with the resultant damage done to reputations. Be careful what you post, very careful!
Current rides: Husqvarna TE 610 (2009),  KTM 950 SE(2007)
 KTM 500 EXC (2016)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Online Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 08:26:58 am »
Interesting to read both accounts.  I have heard this story many times before.  People seem to be okay with paying the damage deposit but not happy to loose it once damage has occurred.  I also get the other side of the story, we rent an off-road bike for an offroad trip so some damage (scratches etc) is inevitable so why must we loose our deposit for this?  And as a rental company, what do you do?  Rent out beat up (mechanically sound) bikes and you get a bad write up.  Rent out pristine bikes and keep the deposit when damage occurs and you get a bad write up.  I suppose the thing that keeps companies going and the rest of us renting is that the majority of people are reasonable about the whole thing.  And as a renter you know the simple rule, you damage you pay.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure