Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa  (Read 5877 times)

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
Re: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:33 am »
It is quite surprising to hear that the rental company only took a R10 000 deposit.

You cannot do much repairs with such a small amount.

........... and yes, the industry standard is definitely about R20 000 to R25 000 deposito.

Very thorough and complete answer Campbell  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 02:05:23 pm »
Probably prudent that I provide a response, both in my own defense as well as that of Adventure Bike Safaris (Pty) Ltd...

Oof...  :o

Offline igno

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 04:36:54 pm »
Maak nie saak nie  jy 'n pannekoek probeer bak nie - daar is ALTYD 2 kante wat gebak moet word.   Altyd lekker om die (ware) weergawe ook te hoor en nie net die (eensydige) klagte  nie.

ek dra vandag my screen saver

Offline Ber

• Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 06:51:31 pm »
First, I'm glad Campbell has answered and given his side of the story.
 We still contest it. Here is wht we have received (pic) which – I insist - does not constitute any official paid bill (I have asked Campbell to provide them for our lawyer but we're still waiting)

Ok for the two broken rear view mirrors, ok for the “rear KLR luggage carrier top and bottom plates” (but in 30 years of riding motorbikes, I had never broken one !), ok for one repair carsh bar, ok for one rear indicator lamp. But let's talk about motorbike 2 which has never tumbled or touched anything: why should the “barkbuster VPS handguards” be replaced ? Why change the chain on that motorbike and not on the other two, since they all had the same maintenance – we greased the chains twice during the trip – which, we considered, was enough. Let's now talk about the radiator which broke on the second day (how is it possible if it were that well protected ?) We've lost almost two days waiting for repairs, because it broke twice and we had to pay each time to be able to continue the trip: the least that could have been done was not to charge for it. We consider that there was a default of protection from the start since, once again, this motorbike nevel fell. “Prisitine condition” is not what we want (we want motobikes for riding not for museums !) and not what we got (the tyres ? So-so ! See pic).

Here are just a few examples, we could keep arguing forever.

Let me remind Campbell that his father had given us back R5,000 in cash on our way to the airport. We trusted him and said he could keep them and pay them back afterwards via PayPal. We waited for 2 months and a half (very professionnal! Which other company would do that ?) and we never heard of this refund again.

And so on.

Some of you say that it's easy to damage a reputation but when such a problem happens to them, they will see it's not just about money, but about honor and consideration for US too. We may forget about the money, but not about a minimum of dignity to be treated unfairly. But, as Campbell says, “c'est la vie”... It may be his life ('style), not ours.

Finally, it's time some people heard How can you serioulsy rent an adventure bike – once again: it's quite a specific activity – without offering a minimum of guarantees to the client ? Even if you rent on Hertzride.com/fr – which doesn't specialize in adventure bikes – you can find for our 10 days for instance an almost brand new F700GS (not an 8-year old KLR !) WITH insurance, WITH a 24 hours assistance, etc, for CHEAPER than Campbell's KLRs (100$ a day+deposit), as you can see (pic, if I can insert/ nor familiar with this site).

Go check it out by yourselves. Besides, if you know some French, you may have read the review of our trip, and on the same page, a Frenchman says he has rented a motorbike from Motorrad rental in Cape Town and he claims that didn't have a single look at the motorbike when he returned it !

Lastly, if as a joke I told Campbell we could no longer replace a tyre, that's because none of us had had a flat tyres for a while, and we usually use slime (as advised by some friends who are raid professionals in Senegal).And just for fun, I challenge him – if he's such a professional – to change an E-09 Dakar on the track. It's a little bit more difficult than causing a sensation by doing a wheeling with a Triumph Tiger 1200 before his clients.

We wanted to share our sad experience, and what Campbell replied here doesn't change our view. Toobad, Lesotho was nice, but now we'll stick to Morocco (which is not bad either...to learn how to change a tyre ;-P )

As we are not native speakers, we have already spent a lot of time writing these posts and trying to be as clear as possible. Everyone will judge by themselves, because now we have better things to do.

PS: Campbell, don't forget the invoices (not quotations), you can even post them here. By doing this, you won't prove that the bikes necessitated those repairs but at least you will prove you did it.

Offline Ber

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 06:58:00 pm »
for renting in europe (see guarantees)

Offline Ber

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 06:59:24 pm »
price is for ten days.... >:D

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:10 pm »
price is for ten days.... >:D

would the Hertz bikes have been covered by the insurance for the damage that you guys had? would you not have had to pay an excess?

Offline Ber

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:43 pm »

we cannot compare riding road and off roads, old bikes and new bikes...
problem is not when you are charged but when you are overcharged...
Sorry, but that'enough, evrything was said...

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:15 pm »

we cannot compare riding road and off roads, old bikes and new bikes...
problem is not when you are charged but when you are overcharged...
Sorry, but that'enough, evrything was said...

but you were the one comparing old and new bikes? you also knew you would be riding off roads....

you also didn't clearly state which items in the quote you didn't agree with? or did you?

The following users thanked this post: RobC, ZooDog, Vintage_Mania

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 08:04:47 pm »
Oops, now we heard the 2nd story.   :eek7:   :patch:
I still maintain, there is 3 sides to a story, yours, his, and then the true story. 

There is never ever a winner in such a debate. Some damage will be done.   :deal:

Hope for both parties that it will be resolved soonest.   :thumleft: :thumleft: 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:55 pm »
Well I know where I will hire a bike... :biggrin:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 10:11:32 pm »
If they were indeed giving 5k cash by the owners father it does indicate another side to the story  :peepwall:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:52 pm »
If I use this bike, and scratch the pannier frames, due to my bags being on them and shaving the paint, must they be re painted every time?
There must certain parts of the bike that can stay like that.

When I do a 10 day trip, each time I get back, something did scratch, or a mark etc, surely I wont re spray my whole bike at a cost of R5000?

So I see Frenchies point, he will gladly pay for what they broke, but he is pissed that his deposit was used to get the bikes back in showroom condition.

If there was a tip over, and let say a scratch on crashbars and a mark on hand guards. Must it really be replaced or repainted, just so the next guy can have a tip over again a week later...

I also agree with him asking for actual Invoices of the repairs. That will show it was done. Quotes supplied is not 100% proof it was done/replaced/repainted...

By the sound of this, if your jacket zipper scratches the tank while riding, you will be in for a tank repaint or a new tank fitted  :peepwall:
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

The following users thanked this post: Snafu, Hinksding, Bundu

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 11:35:43 pm »
If you as the hirer receive a bike in pristine condition and return it in less than that condition  be prepared to cough. Simple.
If the bikes are trail worn when you take the bikes and you return them in similar condition the lender cannot expect to retain the deposit for renewal purposes. Insurance?

When I have rented bushlore off-road vehicles there are always a number of insurance options depending on the level of risk you want to take on. Why not with these bikes?  Surely that would have taken care of the issues.

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 11:45:53 pm »

If you as the hirer receive a bike in pristine condition and return it in less than that condition  be prepared to cough. Simple.

Fair enough but it's a bit unrealistic when we talk about renting these types of bikes. The purpose of such an expedition is to go and explore. And when you explore you will probably have a tumble here and there.

So bottom line is never ever rent an adventure bike unless you know 110% that nothing will happen

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

:downtown:

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 07:08:44 am »
Moral of the story then is never to rent  a pristine adventure bike.

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:51 am »
If the frenchies treated the rental bikes like it was their own , none of this trying to hit below the belt crap would be slung around now.
Working with a 10k deposit versus the 20 to 25k guys, is bound to bring you some bad apples.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 08:09:30 am »
Agree on replacing broken parts like mirrors and indicators but yes crash bars that are scratched due to an off are almost to be expected as are scuff marks on the panels (I take it the owner knows quite well people are going to do some off roading with them). Spray painting will be a faster and cheaper option on the crash bars vs powder coating each time.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline pwt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Proudly White Tribe
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 08:12:00 am »
Dificult situation, I suggest that one look at their ride report to see what type of riding (and falling) was done

http://www.terre-bitume.org/t8418-lesotho-afrique-du-sud

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 08:14:20 am »
How does a customer that did not oil a chain, strip a footpeg bolt?