Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa  (Read 5921 times)

Online Vintage_Mania

Re: How to get your old Adventure Bikes repaired FOR FREE in South Africa
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 08:16:38 am »
At least our friend Ber agrees the bikes needed repairing....according to his heading anyway.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:42 am »
I've had a quick look at the link provided a couple of posts ago; these bikes are custom painted with red powder coated crash bars, etc.  The repair costs makes sense.  Not saying this is the best option for a rental, but it looks real good.

Offline caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 08:54:45 am »
I was at the Nuremberg Ring 2 years ago and the deposit to take a car around the track was 6000 Euro or about R 96000.

So if somebody wanted to take my bike and go thrash it around Lesotho, I would have asked more deposit. You can hardly compare driving through the french countryside with a full blown African adventure.

Horses for course.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS x 2, R1200GSA x 3, K1200LT, G450X

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:16 am »
Anyone charging only a R10k deposit for a trip through Lesotho is very brave even on a KLR. Id take that all day everyday. Ive been party to entire headlights units needing to be repalced. Ive see  frames crack. Ive seen guys almost get hit by 3rd party drivers and go down to try avoid an accident.

Lesotho is a bike breaker and R10k deposit to me is minmal.

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
Anyone charging only a R10k deposit for a trip through Lesotho is very brave even on a KLR. Id take that all day everyday. Ive been party to entire headlights units needing to be repalced. Ive see  frames crack. Ive seen guys almost get hit by 3rd party drivers and go down to try avoid an accident.

Lesotho is a bike breaker and R10k deposit to me is minmal.

I wonder what they, as experienced EU bikers, had put aside budget wise for any repairs that might arise from a Lesotho trip? Would be interesting to find out what these repairs would cost in Euros as well.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 11:17:12 am »
How does a customer that did not oil a chain, strip a footpeg bolt?

He said he waxed the chain twice.. if the trip was 2500km offroad then twice is an interesting frequency to lube a chain.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Campbell McCurrach

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Where we go one, we go all.
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 11:34:49 am »
Appreciate everyone's views and opinions offered. Currently on tour in Swaziland and look forward to posting some back up info here soon.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Ber

• Bike: Beta (all models)
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 12:18:14 pm »
Hey guys,  be serious about money. It's a KLR.
Look at this for 16000 rands in France : https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1587065281.htm/
And it's not exceptionnal (you can see DR 650, 350 or TTR and so on for the same price) (I saw on this forum a KLR 250 very cheap too!)
During the trip, we met a german guy living part of the year in Lesotho who paid 50000 for his own in a perfect condition (not pristine, not painted every week!).
We didn't do hard enduro in Lesotho just gravel roads. More, we have all been living in Africa for years, practicing motorbikes and doing trips in Madagascar. France, Spain and Portugal have very hard enduro conditions in some places... Let's not mention Morocco... I'm here answering to European people's ideas about African trips!
I remember paying 20 us dollars/day for a 250 Peter (chinese) which did a perfect job in north vietnam mountains (similar conditions to Lesotho) five years ago.
And someone told me you can buy a brand new one in Mada for 40000 rands.
I can buy a 790 adventure in Europe and do a Lesotho trip with it, but certainly not MADA'trips. I would buy a chinese Peter 250 (or prefer to rent!)

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 12:35:42 pm »
Hey guys,  be serious about money. It's a KLR.
Look at this for 16000 rands in France : https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1587065281.htm/
And it's not exceptionnal (you can see DR 650, 350 or TTR and so on for the same price) (I saw on this forum a KLR 250 very cheap too!)
During the trip, we met a german guy living part of the year in Lesotho who paid 50000 for his own in a perfect condition (not pristine, not painted every week!).
We didn't do hard enduro in Lesotho just gravel roads. More, we have all been living in Africa for years, practicing motorbikes and doing trips in Madagascar. France, Spain and Portugal have very hard enduro conditions in some places... Let's not mention Morocco... I'm here answering to European people's ideas about African trips!
I remember paying 20 us dollars/day for a 250 Peter (chinese) which did a perfect job in north vietnam mountains (similar conditions to Lesotho) five years ago.
And someone told me you can buy a brand new one in Mada for 40000 rands.
I can buy a 790 adventure in Europe and do a Lesotho trip with it, but certainly not MADA'trips. I would buy a chinese Peter 250 (or prefer to rent!)
The one you show advertised for Euro 1200 is a lot older bike.
Where are my shorts??

Offline dieseldawie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • I like to drink lots of beer
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »
And as  KLR rider I know that even though they are cheap bike spares can also be expensive. The R10K radiator price is accurate and its a known weakness on the Gen 2 bikes. I removed my original when I bought my second KLR then bought a Chinese one off Ebay for less than R2k delivered.
The question is if new is R10k and a perfectly good aftermarket is R2k, what do you fit and what price do you then charge the customer. Truth is with repair cost quoted any insurance company would probably written off the bikes. My KLR is so over-capitalized I would loose massively if I wrote it off.
Showing invoices for repairs will close this issue I am sure.
Where are my shorts??

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2019, 04:45:13 pm »
Perhaps these chaps should have bought their own bikes and sold them after the adventure. Pricing in za isnít the same as Europe so no comparisons are relevant to this discussion.

Offline Ber

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2019, 05:35:44 pm »
---Perhaps these chaps should have bought their own bikes and sold them after the adventure. Pricing in za isnít the same as Europe so no comparisons are relevant to this discussion. ---

You're right (for both remarks)!
Brand new bikes are cheaper than in Europe, see 790 Adventure for instance! (surely because of taxes)
So cheaper bikes rented more expensively with no insurance, I'm wondering where the money goes...
But, once again, it was not only a question of money (about money, I just reacted to some posts), but we had the bad impression of being treated like pigeons. (Read again my long post)

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 06:10:54 pm »
Strange, I can have a complete bike frame sandblasted and powder coated for R 800.
n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Choose orange. Choose Stihl.
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »
So somebody strips the bike and assembles it for free? Can you pass me the details please. :peepwall:
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs

Kaboef:  "Ek dink BMW gooi drank in hul koffie en muffins. Want as jy dronk is, koop jy enige kak."

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2019, 07:02:28 pm »
That service I could use here. Does the service travel ?

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2019, 07:35:59 pm »
---Perhaps these chaps should have bought their own bikes and sold them after the adventure. Pricing in za isnít the same as Europe so no comparisons are relevant to this discussion. ---

You're right (for both remarks)!
Brand new bikes are cheaper than in Europe, see 790 Adventure for instance! (surely because of taxes)
So cheaper bikes rented more expensively with no insurance, I'm wondering where the money goes...
But, once again, it was not only a question of money (about money, I just reacted to some posts), but we had the bad impression of being treated like pigeons. (Read again my long post)

Dont compare bike prices here with oversea prices. Its not the same, get use to it.

Next time, buy a bike here, ride it, fuck it up, and resell it.

End of story. Then you spare us all this crying on the Internet.
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Ber

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:24 pm »
Manix (nice name!), I do what I want, ok?
Not interested? no problem, switch to others subjects!

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2019, 08:11:02 pm »
Manix (nice name!), I do what I want, ok?
Not interested? no problem, switch to others subjects!

He ga die boere jou opfok pappie  :imaposer:
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline Ber

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2019, 08:12:13 pm »
T'as un nom de guignol, tu es un guignol...

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2019, 08:14:02 pm »
Now I know why he used your deposit to fix his bikes.

With this attitude I think you deserved it  :thumleft:
1250 GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

The following users thanked this post: RobC