Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My mate is taking a sabbatical into Europe, should he take his bike?  (Read 324 times)

Offline 8 min Mark

As per the heading, my mate and his wife are tired of the load shedding and the general state of SA. They have let their properties fully furnished. They want to keep their current investments in SA. They will sell their cars, but are considering taking their bike over with them. I think they will easily stay in Europe for a year if not longer.
Can anybody offer advice as to the costs and benefits (or not) with shipping a bike over for a period of probably a year, and then shipping it back. They do have Italian passports so if that makes any difference other than no visa requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes no difference to me what you ride, as long as you ride!

Offline Camino Cerdo

Re: My mate is taking a sabbatical into Europe, should he take his bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 12:38:34 am »
Really need more info, but some generalizations.
If you want to ride more than three weeks it is cheaper to ship your bike in than to rent.
Motorcycles are expensive in Europe compared to USA but I have no comparison for South Africa
It is your bike, it fits and you know how it reacts. That is worth a lot.
You can find a place to store your bike and return to SA then come back and ride some more.
No problems with time limits. Officially there are some but no one checks. No CDP needed.

You will need more than a year, plan on St Petersburg in the north to Morocco in the south and east to Ucraine and Turkey. Once you have done that you won't want to stop so head east to China.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline 8 min Mark

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:24:14 pm »
Thanks Camino Cerdo. I donít have much more info. My mate just announced that he is free to go to Europe. Should he take his bike? It wasnít really based on touring travel as he has family and accommodation in Italy. He might be based in a spot for a while. He might look for some for some form of generating revenue. So my thinking was it has to be great to have oneís own bike to ride as one wants. I have no idea of costs for freight and insurance or carnet. So posed the question. Today he asked what I valued his bike at, so it looks like all options are open currently. If it were me I think I would take the bike.

Offline 8 min Mark

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »
Oh. I just saw that you mentioned no CDP necessary. Another positive.

Offline daveh

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:57 am »
I am also keen on doing a two month trip in Europe in August, any advice etc would be appreciated. Ideally would like to take my own bike over, but have no idea of costs etc?
AT

Offline piets

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 01:23:05 pm »
I am also keen on doing a two month trip in Europe in August, any advice etc would be appreciated. Ideally would like to take my own bike over, but have no idea of costs etc?
Buy a good rainsuit over there. They do not leak.
BMW1150GS 2001 Model since 2006