Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1250 Tank increase  (Read 712 times)

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
Re: 1250 Tank increase
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 09:38:34 am »
WP in a bucket yes but in a closed off tank it will make a difference. The tank has an air bubble form at the top which does not allow more fuel in. In a bucket that airbubble cant form. So if you raise the hight of the "bleed" hole you will raise the height of the fuel level.

I must admit I wont be doing this to my 1250 as I dont ever require an extra 2 or so liters of fuel on my trip and generally keep the tank full. My bike never gets below around a quarter tank but when i do the Pans I may just take a small 5ltr jerry can with.
Nothing wrong with doing this to a brand new bike.......my brand new Defender a few years ago was drilled full of holes to fit various accessories.  :lol8:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:40:44 am by Brucet »
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline WP

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:04 am »
WP in a bucket yes but in a closed off tank it will make a difference. The tank has an air bubble form at the top which does not allow more fuel in. In a bucket that airbubble cant form. So if you raise the hight of the "bleed" hole you will raise the height of the fuel level.

I must admit I wont be doing this to my 1250 as I dont ever require an extra 2 or so liters of fuel on my trip and generally keep the tank full. My bike never gets below around a quarter tank but when i do the Pans I may just take a small 5ltr jerry can with.
Nothing wrong with doing this to a brand new bike.......my brand new Defender a few years ago was drilled full of holes to fit various accessories.  :lol8:

I thought of that possible explanation, but wouldn't the breather then let the air out? Or is it fitted close to the cap, making it part of the fuel cap assembly?

Thanks for the info anyway. :thumleft:

Offline Brucet

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 10:22:31 am »
Good point. I have no idea.
BMW 1250 GS Adv HP

Offline Rafiki

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 10:40:40 am »
This whole 2L story is BS. 500ml max. I'm willing to pay two tanks of petrol for a video (with and without totter). Manic, please pm me your banking details. Really no jokes, I wanna see this.

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 10:55:45 am »
The idea is that when you fill up and the fuel gets to the level of the totter, the fuel rises very quickly in the totter itself which causes the pump to automatically stop. Remember when you fill up the pump stops automatically when the level reaches the nozzle.

If you continue filling up very slowly (but takes a lot more time) you can still fill the whole tank, you just have to let the fuel seep down (and let the air go out the breather).

Offline Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 11:51:39 am »
The idea is that when you fill up and the fuel gets to the level of the totter, the fuel rises very quickly in the totter itself which causes the pump to automatically stop. Remember when you fill up the pump stops automatically when the level reaches the nozzle.

If you continue filling up very slowly (but takes a lot more time) you can still fill the whole tank, you just have to let the fuel seep down (and let the air go out the breather).

Teen daai tyd is my Wimpy Burger al koud.
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline WP

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2019, 03:17:30 pm »

This seems to be the most realistic explanation. :deal: