Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BIRTHDAY WEEKEND RIDE TO RAMSGATE  (Read 442 times)

Offline NEON DEON

BIRTHDAY WEEKEND RIDE TO RAMSGATE
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »
Panniers packed and we were ready to hit the road to Van reenen our pitstop for the first leg of the trip, We have been using Pyramid now on a couple of trips, and its a nice pit-stop . We were on our way bu 3.30 pm on Wednesday afternoon , pulled into Harrismith for a refuel at around 5.15 , and had a milkshake at the M&bean , then after a quick ride we were at Pyramids. Dis mounted the panniers and top box , We decided to not change and remain in our riding gear for dinner , then after dinner , shower and ready for bed as we wanted to be up at 4 am to hit the road by 5.30 am , early start as Thursday was my birthday and the plan was to have breakfast in Ramsgate ,
from our room we could see lots of lightning and the forecast of rain was more evedant than a clear night . Woke to a wet parking lot but it seemed that the rain was gone , how wrong could one be .
We left Pyramids buy 5.30 and onto the N3 , We had not completed Van reenens and the rain started again , pulled into the One-stop and my missus donned her rain-suit . my rain-lining was keeping me dry so we head off again . Must say we were very fortunate , it was more a heavy drizzle than rain , at some stages it came down hard , just to let up with in a couple of ks , From the Southcoast ultracity the rain stopped and we arrived in Ramsgate dry , Pulled in at the Blue lagoon diner for breakfast as planned .
Our booking time was only 2 pm , but as it was a public holiday we took a chance to book in early , again we were in luck . Booked in , parked the bike , got out of our riding kit and dismounted the top box and panniers , For some reason I could not unlock the right side , the lock just turned but had no resistance , Phoned my son the KTM TECK, And his response was , Dad I thing the mechanism inside the lock has come adrift and the only way to repair it is from the inside , Screwed  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Between My missus and myself we tacked this box with knives forks , teaspoon , cell phone torch :imaposer: :imaposer: , but it seemed it was going to be a lost cause , break it open or ride home with it and worry hoe to resolve the problem at home , but..... My shoes were in the box as well as my towel and toiletry bag , so we just had to open it , on closer inspection of the other pannier we saw that we could slide the latch back and this would open the box , easy when box is on a table , not so easy when locked to the bike , as there is no space , we managed to unlock the rear lock , the fron was mores of a battle but we won, got it open after about 45 min battle , unpacked all the stuff from the box , now to remove the securing latch from the bike , The tool kit has a 3mm torx allen key , so with this in hand I started to dismantle the box , 14 screws later and a tug it cam apart , and yes the inside did come undone . Box on the table I set the reassemble it , lucky for me I am a aircraft tech by trade so I could figure it out and reassembled the box , it working better than before , it was decided  once at home to do the other two as well just in case , rest of the weekend was awesome .
 Sunday after breakfast we were back in the saddle on our way home . Going up FIELDS hill , I had a craze mishap , fuel distance indicator showed 150 ks , power on in 5th gear and the bike lost all power , like it rand out of fuel , would not rev , Pulled over to the slow lane , kept it going but at cruising speed , All seemed ok , filled up in Howick and back onto the N3 , kept it smoothe and soon we were back at 5.5 6 k rpm , no problems , we hauled ass all the way home and 6 hours later pulled into Alberton , not a problem again ,
I am aware that my bike is dew for the 3 k service and it also need the teabag filter to be done , chatting to my son it seems to be the only explanation , for the power-loss . we made it home and planning the next trip , just dont know where to ride to . Zululand is on the cards.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
Re: BIRTHDAY WEEKEND RIDE TO RAMSGATE
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:45:49 pm »
Sounds like you had a lekker trip!
That power loss could well have been water in the fuel... I often find awter in my tank ofter heavy rains in the area... seems the garage underground tanks get flooded during heavy cloudbursts.
Maybe carry a small bottle of injector cleaner (wynn's).

:thumleft:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 08:55:43 am »
Sounds like quite an adventure. :thumleft: Glad you made it safely back home.  But where are the pictures?
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:33:03 pm »
Sounds like quite an adventure. :thumleft: Glad you made it safely back home.  But where are the pictures?

"we hauled ass all the way home and 6 hours later pulled into Alberton"

no time for pics it seems  :biggrin:
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:36:13 am »
I battle to upload pictures , and for some time now , sending pics from the cell via email ,does not work . We are riding again over easter and will try to load pics directly , need to figure out how to do it , have had notice that says file to big . 

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:32:05 am »
I battle to upload pictures , and for some time now , sending pics from the cell via email ,does not work . We are riding again over easter and will try to load pics directly , need to figure out how to do it , have had notice that says file to big .

The admin shared a nice way the other day to resize pics when you upload them from your computer
http://shrinkpictures.com/resize.php

Other ways of doing it on the fly is
-to whatsapp them to somebody and have them whatsapp it back to you (maybe to your wife).
-Post pics into your thread via Tapatalk.  Then the pics gets auto shrunk it seems and loads perfectly everytime
honda nc700x; bmw f800gs

The following users thanked this post: NEON DEON