Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: MITCHEL'S PASS DOWN KATBERG PASS UP, WOW  (Read 2172 times)

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
MITCHEL'S PASS DOWN KATBERG PASS UP, WOW
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:15:41 am »
Attached see the route for the day.

Our trip was roughly 380km for the day, starting in King Williamís Town to Keiskammahoek, Sandile Dam, trough the forest to Hogsback.  From there down Michelís Pass to Seymore then up Katberg Pass, down the back of Katberg to the Post Retief route on our way to Fort Fordyce, Fort Beuafort, Alice and back home. 

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

The following users thanked this post: Snafu, Jamaj, wilfwalk

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
Re: MITCHEL'S PASS DOWN KATBERG PASS UP, WOW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:21:26 am »
Wifey were on her CRF 250 L and me on the ďmightyĒ CRF 250 Rally   :eek7:.  We left at 07:30 with a cool breeze in our faces.   Out main aim for the day is Micthelís Pass, to give an update on the pass after we had some heavy rain two week ago.  The other aim for the day was to see and do Katberg as we heard the pass is in a bad state.

The route to Michelís Pass was the usual bad patches, other than that the road was a breeze.  In no time we were at Mitchelí Pass. 
There is nothing to report as the pass is still is a very good shape with a rut and a hop and a skip here and there.  See the attached photoís and you will get a clear picture of the condition of the pass.   Although there is not challenge in the pass itself, it is still a great area to ride, the scenery is just beautiful.

Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

The following users thanked this post: wilfwalk

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:23:41 am »
More

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:25:02 am »
A short video clip of the pass.

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:29:40 am »
Now it is on to Katberg.  We heard the pass is in a very bad state.  I (we) did Katberg several times up and down on the S10.  I have seen the pass deteriorate in the times we have been there.  Each time it became worse and worse and was always a challenge to ride. 
Getting closer to Katberg I could sense the nervousness in my wife's voice.   She knew from past visits what is installed for her. 

On route you get Katberg Hotel on the left, 800 meters or so the road/track splits left and right, you proceed on the right track.  1.7km further you get a little bridge and waterfall and some tables and benches.  On this last-mentioned section, I already could see we are in for a good workout.    The footing was very loose, rocks and boulders were in the path and there was no way you could avoid them.   We stopped at the picnic spot to reflect on what just happened.  Wifey were rattled and I tried my best to calm her.  I told her we will turn around if it gets too bad.  The best way however was to get on the bikes and get it over with.

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 04:33:27 am »
We proceeded, the pass was for sure in a bad state.  Previously the bad section was only a short distance closer to the top.  Now there were almost the whole way deep ruts, sections that you almost climbed like steps and not to mention the loose rocks and gravel in the tracks. 

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:37:26 am »
We stopped several times going up, wifey needed to catch her breath and tried to relax her arms and hands.   Two friendly guys on KTM 990's stopped and had a short chat with us.  They were highly impressed with my wife for tackling the pass and gave her the thumbs up

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 04:40:13 am »
As expected, the track further up almost became a nightmare.  The rocks and loose soil threw the little bikes all over the place.  As soon as you pick a line you get thrown off course and are forced to negotiate the bad patches.   We had our work cut out for us, we were perspiring like hell. 
I was feeling sorry that I took my wife up this pass.  Me with quite a bit of experience were struggling, I could only imagine how she must have felt.  At two or three stages I almost told her we will turn around, but I knew we were more than halfway up and going down will be even worse for her.  I kept on motivating her and telling her we were almost at the top.  Each time I told her that a more difficult section appeared.  I am quite sure she thought I was laying. 

After what felt like a lifetime we finally arrived at the top.  We passed the two guys we stopped earlier with us.  We were exhausted and tired, we gave each other a high five and I gave my five a very big hug.  We stopped and had a well-deserved rest. 

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:42:41 am »
Katberg were done and dusted.  It is for sure in the worst condition I ever saw it.  Almost the whole pass went for a ball of shit, and not only parts off it.  It is now a proper challenge.  Doable but know you are in for a decent workout. 
I am however very proud that my wife did it, not with one off.  She stalled the bike only once, which shows me that the past training she had is now paying off.   She is improving by the day and I am very happy. 

The rest of the route was nice with Fort Fordyce as beautiful as ever. 
We arrived safely home with sore bodies, but well satisfied. 

Below a vid of some parts of the pass. 

Cheers until next time

VIS ARENDE

The following users thanked this post: >Herman<, wilfwalk

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 04:53:00 am »
Lekker het ek nou saamgery met my oggendkoffie in hand.
Nannie is  :thumleft:
Of is dit nou Oom wat haar so mooi leer? :pot:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 04:56:28 am »

:biggrin:  Ek speel so klein rol daarin, maar dis Nannie met haar deursettings vermoe wat so goed doen.  Sy is vasberade om die ding te doen.   :deal: :thumleft:

Offline mike gs

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 05:24:05 am »
Hell man lekker video. We have just returned from a trip to Hogsback where we did Katberg pass on a mixture of GSA's and KTM 1190's and 1290's. Even a Honda AT in the bunch. You are right it really has deteriorated. It is now a proper excursion! Well done to your wife!

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 06:16:08 am »
Welgedaan julle.

The following users thanked this post: Vis Arend

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 06:57:27 am »
Hell man lekker video. We have just returned from a trip to Hogsback where we did Katberg pass on a mixture of GSA's and KTM 1190's and 1290's. Even a Honda AT in the bunch. You are right it really has deteriorated. It is now a proper excursion! Well done to your wife!

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Was it this past weekend?  We saw a bunch of guys on different bikes at the fuel station on Saterday. 

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:00 am »
Dankie vir al die mooi kommentaar, almal.  Dit is 'n regte confidence booster. 

Oubones, ons het 'n wilsbesluit geneem dat ons nie ons pensioenjare gaan sit en wag om dood te gaan nie, maar gaan lewe tot ons doodgaan.  Ek wou regtig graag self bietjie ry, maar was 'n erg lousy ryer.  Louis het geen koste of moeite ontsien om vir my die regte fiets te kry nie.  Met die hulp van 'n paar mense en groot magic van superfoxi het ek en Bettie Bok groot maatjies geraak.  Sy is 'n fantastiese fiets en eie aan haar naam ry, hop en skip sy deur en oor alles.  (Net iemand wat die karater van 'n bok ken sal verstaan wat ek sÍ.) 

MAAR

Ja, as dit nie vir Louis is nie, sal ek dit nooit maak nie.  Ek het al 'n hele paar videos gekyk, en alhoewel dit baie help, is dit die werklike hulp en ondersteuning tydens die ryery wat die ding doen.  Hy bly gee raad (dankie Sena) en praat moed in.  Hy is elke keer daar om vir my en Bettie op te help as ons val.  Hy loop agter ons deur riviere om seker te maak ons spoel nie weg nie.  Hy masjeer die "nuwe" spiere in my lyf wat so blerrie seer raak van al die vreemde en nuwe bewegings van bike ry.  Hy bly prys my vir elke nuwe obstacle wat ek oorkom.  Ek weet hy offer BAIE op om saam met my te ry.  Hy kan nooit teen sy pas ry nie, want hy pas my op.  Ek sou dit nie sonder hom kon doen nie.  Dankie jy.

Hy het my darem nog net een maal van 'n moewiese hoŽ en styl sandhoop afgestoot  :o.  Ek het nie die moed gehad om dit af te ry nie en het op die randjie bly huiwer .... toe gee hy so stootjie van agter af en ek het toe geen ander keuse gehad om af te ry nie.  Daarna het ek die hopie sommer self 'n paar maal op en af gery.   :biggrin:

Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Online TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:01 am »
Baie mooi... julle is bevoorreg om in daai deel te kan bly en ry. Mooi gedoen!
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline BLK

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:17:49 am »
This is brilliant info.Mitchels looks greatly improved but Katberg is as I remember it.beautiful area.Thks for the coverage.

Cheers

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 07:38:33 am »
Lekker lekker en wel gedaan julle.  Lekker verder ry.  :ricky: :ricky:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:51 am »
Lekker lekker en wel gedaan julle.  Lekker verder ry.  :ricky: :ricky:

:thumleft:  Wanneer kom kuier julle, jy bly mos nou om die hoek.   :imaposer:

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 07:44:37 am »
Well done and thanks for a great Ride Report  :thumleft:
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?