Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NC7XX Commuter maintenance costs  (Read 321 times)

Offline RR

• Bike: AJS (all models)
NC7XX Commuter maintenance costs
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:47:47 am »
Hi WD's,

I'm looking at getting an NC for commuting purposes.
Having never owned a road bike, the fuel consumption and purchase price is what got me interest in it in the first place, I initially had a look at the likes of the KTM 690 which I know is a different animal altogether a helluva fun, but I have to make the sensible choice this time around.

The reason for this post is, I'd like to get 'real world' feedback on maintenance costs.

Ex: '06 YZ 250
       '01 CR 250
       '09 300 XC-W

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
Re: NC7XX Commuter maintenance costs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:07:42 am »
Chat to Cocky his wife is using a NC700 for commuting.

I have the Integra Scooter which is the same thing and are running 27km per liter on ave.

The NC700 was also recently the winner on the commuting side if biking globally.

The following users thanked this post: RR

Online BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:43:19 am »
I've had mine for 4 years... 69 000 km's. Stock standard.

Handles very well for what it is... No problem scraping the foot pegs.

Fuel consumption is between 30 & 34 km/l. (80% freeway)

Service every 10 000 km's.

I ride sedately when commuting (mostly) and got 41 000 km's on a set of Michelin Pilots.

Chain & sprockets about 35 000 km's.

Did the valve clearances and spark plugs at 50 000 km's. Spark plugs were still excellent.

Never even blown a bulb or lost a bolt.

Best commuter I have owned.

Edit: I use Shell HX7.

Replaced disc pads twice and rear wheel bearings at 60 000 km's.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:47:26 am by BullFrog »
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

If I REALLY wanted to ride a BMW, I would join the Tshwane Metro.

Offline RR

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:33:52 am »
I've had mine for 4 years... 69 000 km's. Stock standard.

Handles very well for what it is... No problem scraping the foot pegs.

Fuel consumption is between 30 & 34 km/l. (80% freeway)

Service every 10 000 km's.

I ride sedately when commuting (mostly) and got 41 000 km's on a set of Michelin Pilots.

Chain & sprockets about 35 000 km's.

Did the valve clearances and spark plugs at 50 000 km's. Spark plugs were still excellent.

Never even blown a bulb or lost a bolt.

Best commuter I have owned.

Edit: I use Shell HX7.

Replaced disc pads twice and rear wheel bearings at 60 000 km's.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks BullFrog
       '01 CR 250
       '09 300 XC-W

Offline Grunder

• Muscles can't buy mad dog!
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 09:51:54 am »
Service intervals are 12k km's

But I did the oil every 6k km's.  Easy to do your own oil change which saves on labor costs.

Service wise it's roughly the same cost as most other bikes if you send it to Honda
:downtown:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:25:13 am »
Mine a late 2015 750x

32000km now. I do oil (Also Shell multigrade) every 6k km
Not a days issue, and i use her as my only transport.
Sometimes my son will go to work on her en I use his car.
Worst fuel consumption was 26/27 km/l with panniers but my daily avg now is hardly ever worse than 30km/l
Easy enough to change the air filter yourself, we just watched a YouTube video and DIY.
Honda charge R1.3k plus for a normal service and I DIY (very easy) with Honda oil filter and good oil for less than R400.
The cabby takes my helmet, and topboks the rest.

Online RyC

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:58 pm »
Mine is a 2013 model 40k odd km's
Always been serviced at Honda (stupid I know)
Honda parts are expensive but once out of warranty they give alternatives for pads and chains.
Air filters are stupid money but I still stick with the paper filters.
Great bikes, will take a lot to move me to buy something else.
They do everything well apart from speeding

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Online BullFrog

• Previously Naartjie
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 01:20:03 pm »

I think 196 km/h on the clock is fast enough!!
'70 Triumph Bonneville 650 T120, '84 Honda VF 1000 RE, '01 Yamaha YZ 250 N, '12 Honda XR 650 L, '14 Honda NC 750 X

Online RyC

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 03:15:54 pm »

I think 196 km/h on the clock is fast enough!!
Keeping up in groups tend to be tuff. Run out of revs and oomph.
Prefer riding on my own. No need for speeding to keep up on long straights.
Bike has nice torque and manageable in the twisties to keep up even with no ABS or other aids.
Best all rounder for me

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Offline RR

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:38 am »
Thank you all for your responses, it definitely urged me on towards getting one. 
Seems like theses bikes are very underrated.

Next step is to at least ride one before I purchase, which should be my nearest dealer. :ricky:

'01 CR 250
       '09 300 XC-W

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 09:58:05 am »
Thank you all for your responses, it definitely urged me on towards getting one. 

Next step is to at least ride one before I purchase, which should be my nearest dealer. :ricky:

Bud I am 100% honest when I tell you that the NC was the first bike ever I did not buy with my heart but with my head.
However, it did not take long to grow on me and crawled into the heart.

I did want to sell her at some stage only to buy a small bakkie as I only have the NC as transport but decided against and still happy.
I read on the NC group on fb that people are often replacing their NC with a new one after some years and that says a lot.

The following users thanked this post: BullFrog

Online BullFrog

• Previously Naartjie
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:25:17 am »

Do you want to buy new or used?

Depending on where you are in Gauteng, you can take mine for a spin.

Offline RR

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 06:32:38 pm »

Do you want to buy new or used?

Depending on where you are in Gauteng, you can take mine for a spin.

I'll most probably buy second-hand.
That is a very generous offer, thanks BullFrog, however I can't ride someone else's scoot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:34:01 pm by RR »
       '01 CR 250
       '09 300 XC-W

Offline funduro

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 03:50:33 pm »
When it comes to cost what I found surprising was to find that the valves are adjustable rockers which costs nothing but a spanner, screwdriver and feeler guage where as other bikes you need to order shims. This for me is a big deal as there is far less down time which is important with a commuter. I am on 110000 odd and have only replaced two bulbs, tyres and sprockets + usual service items.
Don't slow me down.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 07:30:20 am »
When it comes to cost what I found surprising was to find that the valves are adjustable rockers which costs nothing but a spanner, screwdriver and feeler guage where as other bikes you need to order shims. This for me is a big deal as there is far less down time which is important with a commuter. I am on 110000 odd and have only replaced two bulbs, tyres and sprockets + usual service items.

Yes straight forward, did see on youtube and plan to DIY when it's time. I am about to do oil service again. I do mine every 6k km and change the oil filter every 12k km
Just need to get to Pretoria to buy a oil filter. The only expensive service part is the air filter, I have decided to stay with OEM Paper because I just believe it's better. The brake pads is also pricey but I don't buy that at Honda but at other outlets.

Offline funduro

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:49 am »

Yes straight forward, did see on youtube and plan to DIY when it's time. I am about to do oil service again. I do mine every 6k km and change the oil filter every 12k km
Just need to get to Pretoria to buy a oil filter. The only expensive service part is the air filter, I have decided to stay with OEM Paper because I just believe it's better. The brake pads is also pricey but I don't buy that at Honda but at other outlets.
I use a knock off paper filter which looks identical for half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't slow me down.

Online Neo_za

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 07:56:41 am »
I had one, but would advise that you drive one before you buy and consider carefully weather you could live with the engine characteristics of a NC versus a regular motorcycle.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 07:57:44 am »

Care to share where this is available please?

Offline funduro

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 08:03:40 am »

Care to share where this is available please?

I get them here in Cape Town at a place called Tracmac. Sorry I do not know of any generic retailers out your way.
Don't slow me down.

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 08:35:41 am »
That tyre and chain life mentioned above is insane. By far the best and most economical commuter ever made, and even more user friendly with the dual clutch transmission.