Blast to the past detour: The Kalahari, Molopo and Verneukpan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joyride

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
A LITTLE BIT OF BACKGROUND

The opportunity presented itself in the form of a wedding that took place in Upington. The distance between Upington, Olifantshoek, van Zylsrus, Askam, Noenieput, Lutzputs, Keimoes, Augrabies and Verneukpan on the way back to Cape Town was just to small to ignore and turn back to Cape Town once the wedding was over.

We grew up on a farm called Dedeben, somewhere halfway between Hotazel, van Zylsrus and Deben, close to the Koranna Mountains. Al of us decided to attend the wedding and take a trip down memory lane through the Kalahari the week after the wedding.

My brother just bought a spanking new  BMW1200GS Adventure and it was easy to convince him to join me on motorcycle for the trip through the Kalahari and the Molopo Echo Trail between van Zylzrus and Askam.

Me on the other hand decided to do the trip on my 27 year old Honda XR500R as part of the going back in time theme. My sister and brother in law drove the one backup bakkie carrying the luggage and other necessities while my sister in law drove the other backup vehicle towing a trailer just for in case. My mother who turned 70 last December decide to join us as well, riding in the backup vehicle.

I spread the word and Ridealot decided to join on his XR500R as well. We also arranged to meet Mello Yellow (BMW1150GS) and JohnnieL (Transalp 650) in Olifantshoek on Sunday, the 5th of October.

Day 1 â?? 3 October

DSC02743.jpg

The bikes on the trailer, ready for the adventure.

DSC02746.jpg

We decide NOT to travel ligth but do it in style.

DSC02748.jpg

â??Padkosâ? and coffee between me and Ridealot â?? what more to eat the kilometeres away.

DSC02757.jpg

��.and away we go!!!

IMG_2621.jpg

We saw this in Nieuwoudville, but decided to leave it behind.

IMG_2656.jpg

We arrived to this at De Werf in Keimoes.

IMG_2639.jpg

��and met up with my brother from Gauteng.

Day 2 to follow....

Code:
Modified by Funacide to resize pics