Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 2019  (Read 466 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 2019
« on: March 30, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »
31st March - 04 April 2019

This is the team I’ll be supporting this year, with my favorite being Nacho Cornejo.

From Nacho’s FB page:

Shakedown listo . Moto probada y a punto para disfrutar de este increíble lugar . Mañana tenemos las verificaciones técnicas y el domingo la Etapa 1.
Vamos .
-
Shakedown done . Bike tested and ready to enjoy this incredible place . Tomorrow we have the technical verifications and Stage 1 on sunday.
Let’s do this .

#AbuDhabiDesertChallenge
HRC - Honda Racing Corporation

Live tracking should start tomorrow.

http://www.abudhabidesertchallenge.com/track-now/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:57:24 pm by Kobus Myburgh »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 05:53:58 pm »
I see Joan Barreda is unfortunately riding with an injury.

Hi everyone from Abu Dhabi!!Two weeks ago I had a training crash fracturing several ribs. I don’t want to miss this first round of the world championship. I know it will be difficult and painful, but the team has worked hard to be here and I want to try!

#pressconference #nopainnogain

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline mike gs

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 06:10:02 pm »
Ai riding like that must hurt. Tks for the update K.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:01 pm »
Sam Sunderland having some fun.

If I’m not mistaken he did a lot of extreme competitions and free riding/dune jumping here prior to turning to the rally scene. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:12:26 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 07:38:45 pm »
Some more pics:

Tomorrow’s official starting list:

And if you didn’t know, we have one of our own Wilddogs that we can root for.

#27 - @Kenisis - Alan, we’ll be rooting for you all the way.  Give it horns.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:41:26 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline WrightJnr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:54 pm »
Sam Sunderland having some fun.

If I’m not mistaken he did a lot of extreme competitions and free riding/dune jumping here prior to turning to the rally scene. 

Yip. He was based here for years. Only moved to France last year to live with his girlfriend. He still does a lot of riding here in Dubai.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 07:20:58 am »
Borrowed from Kenisis' FB page.  The guys are getting ready.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 10:12:14 am »
Sam Sunderland at the start.  Tracking not up and running yet.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 10:30:33 am »
Sunderland leading, followed by Luciano Benavides and Andrew Short. Cornejo currently in 4th not far behind.

Can't see Barreda at all, so wondering if he started today

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:32:22 am by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 11:02:33 am »
Front runners reaching ASS1 shortly, positions unchanged.

Still no sign of Barreda.

Kenisis still going strong.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 01:16:05 pm »
Found Barreda.  His number is dulled, so not sure if he's still in the race.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 03:02:49 pm »
Kenisis is in - well done Alan.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 03:11:38 pm »

Yip. He was based here for years. Only moved to France last year to live with his girlfriend. He still does a lot of riding here in Dubai.

Indeed, he was competing in the local (Dubai) MX and Baja circuits on a local KTM sponsored bike. In 2011, Tim Trenker, the ex-manager of KTM Dubai gave him a 450EXC to try his hand in the challenge. With absolutely no to minimal knowledge in navigation and rally he blasted off and IIRC he won 1 stage with 14 mins over Marc Coma for the stage. Sadly the bike did not last as it was pissing coolant and oil after 1 of the stages and we had to change the piston and some other bits and bobs.

Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 04:02:04 pm »
Stage 1 leaders:

Bikes

1st - Sam Sunderland
2nd - Andrew Short
3d - Nacho Cornejo

Cars

1st - Cyril Despres/Daniel Oliveras
2nd - Bernhard Ten Brinke/Tom Colsoul
3d - Stephane Peterhansel/Andrea Peterhansel

Don't think these results are official yet.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:10:51 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 04:25:36 pm »
#ADDC. Sam Sunderland (KTM) won the SS1 in 3h40'41, 6'09 in front of Short and 6'46 of Nacho Cornejo. "Found this first leg difficult, battling low visibility in the sandstorm right from the start till the end. Tried to get a good rhythm throughout and avoid mistakes where possible." RallyZone

#ADDC Andrew Short (Husqvarna) finish SS1 on the second place in 3h46'50. "I was really fortunate to ride behind Sal today as he knows the terrain very well. It's my first time in the Desert Challenge and I felt Lucky with the weather. I was with a group of riders  and the wind cleared our tracks which would have made it more difficult for those behind us."

#ADDC @NachoCornejo (Honda) 3rd of the SS1 in 3h47'27. "Today was really tough and with the wind it made it more difficult to anticipate the dunes. With thiw being my first time the cloudiness was an extra challenge and had issues finding my rhythm but still looking forward to the next 4 days."

#ADDC @LucianoBenavides (KTM) 4th of SS1 (261,97 km) in 3h49'48
"Really great stage even with the low visibilty and togh terrain. Overall happy keeping pace with teammate Sam."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »

Stage Round WORLD1 , Stage 1  Abu Dhabi

A prudent start as Monster Energy Honda Team get first contact with the dunes of Abu Dhabi

This report is in the following languages:    

Good positions for Nacho Cornejo in third, and Kevin Benavides, fifth, at the end of the first day of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge. Joan Barreda will set off from behind tomorrow after suffering a mechanical setback today.

Prudence prevails on returning, two months after finish the Dakar Rally, to a competition as tough as the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge with its treacherous cut dunes capable of ruining a rally on day one. Nevertheless, today Chilean rider Nacho Cornejo finished top of the Monster Energy Honda Team riders, posting third position on the day.

It was a scorching day, but also one with plenty of wind, on a route which ended in midst of the Liwa desert. The first day of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge featured 262 kilometres of special stage out of a 329-kilometre total. As usual the first round of the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship served up a fair dosage of navigation and dunes as competitors left the Yas Marina circuit behind to enter into the ante-chamber of the desert – a sea of dunes which dominates the Liwa region in the south of the country.

José Ignacio Cornejo set off at a cracking pace over the early stretches of the race and made it safely back to the bivouac in Qsar Al Sarab, on an error-free ride, to finish on the day’s podium, 6’46” adrift of the stage winner. Argentine team-mate Kevin Benavides, went in pursuit of the riders who preceded him, but after getting bogged down in a dune, lost the trail that would have allowed him to reach his rivals and would have permitted easier progress without such a physical drain. Benavides ended in fifth place on the day.

The third rider on the team, Spaniard Joan Barreda suffered a mechanical setback at kilometre 16 of the special whilst opening the track. Barreda, the third competitor to start the special, was unable to repair the bike on the course in the intense heat and wind and was forced to retire from the stage. However, Joan remains confident that he will be able to repair and restart in tomorrow’s stage.

The second stage will likewise play out in the Liwa region, with a total of 370 kilometres, of which 222 km are against the clock.

Share to Facebook73Share to TwitterShare to PinterestShare to LinkedInShare to More2

Kevin Benavides

STAGE: 5th OVERALL: 5th

This was the first contact with the desert of truth. As soon as I started I got stuck in a dune and had to make a huge effort to get out. Then I adapted to the race but with some pain in the shoulder. The desert was complicated with wind and soft dunes. I took things as easily and calmly as I could, looking for a reasonable pace that would allow me to finish. I am not at 100%, but about 50%, but I will try to give 100% of that 50. We will try to take things one step at a time because there are still many days left to run.

Joan Barreda

STAGE: dnf PROVISIONAL: -

I'm fine, although a bit upset because I think that, without having pushed hard, I had a good pace. I had overtaken two riders and was opening the track, when at kilometre 16 I was unable to continue. I tried hard but it was just impossible. We are going to try to repair the bike and my intention is to continue in the race, so I am going to prepare the roadbook for tomorrow.

José Ignacio Cornejo

STAGE: 3rd OVERALL: 3rd

Today was a deceptive day with a lot of wind that raised the sand and it was difficult to guess what the dunes would be like. It was cloudy, but it was very hot with areas where it felt quite hot. It was not a bad day. I hope to improve the pace in the next stages.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 08:22:31 am »
Well on their way on SS2 this morning.

Sam Sunderland leading, followed by Andrew Short and Nacho Cornejo.

Then there's a bit of a gap to Luciano Benavides, Kevin Benavides, Ackerman and Blair.

Barreda in 8th after no clutch yesterday and the team working furiously to get it all sorted.  Looks like he's flying today.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 09:29:14 am »
The guys are running close together this morning.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 10:07:05 am »
The front runners at the start this morning.

Kenisis still well on track this morning.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:09:04 am by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 11:11:50 am »
From Kenisis yesterday:

"Was a tough one in the books. Last rider in with no Waypoints missed. Sadly damaged the rear tank when I missed something in Whiteout.  The team from SRG Motorsports and Portable Shade have it covered!"

Volg iemand die rally of mors ek my data? 

-David Livingstone-