Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 2019  (Read 467 times)

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 2019
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 04:49:44 am »
The guys are off with Sunderland leading the field toady and Kevin Benavides in short succession.

SA's Aaron Mare started in 3d position, but was overtaken by Luciano Benavides just now.

Barreda and Cornejo started in respectively 7th and 8th position, both having made up one position already, overtaking the other Saffer Mark Ackerman.

If I'm not mistaken, this is however still the first 135km liaison section.

It'll be interesting to see how the HRC team handles today.  Nacho Cornejo has 12:51 to gain if he wants to get close to Sunderland and is trailing Luciano Benavides by only 3 seconds for the 2nd position.

Kevin Benavides, currently 4th overall, is trailing Cornejo by 10:20.

With Barreda out of the running for a podium finish, I would think that he would stick to Cornejo's side and Kevin Benavides making sure Sunderland doesn't open up a lead.

Interesting day ahead indeed.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:19:02 am by Kobus Myburgh »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 06:02:43 am »
SS4 just started and they're heading straight into the dunes again.

"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 07:12:17 am »
Sam Sunderland still well in the lead and his navigation seems spot on.

Luciano Benavides caught up with Aaron Mare and they're riding together, in hot pursuit of Kevin Benavides.

Barreda is catching up to Mark Ackerman, who in turn has caught up with Messari Jaffer.  Cornejo consistently trailing Barreda.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:15:54 am by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Takashi

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:52 am »
I suck about Alan not being able to continue.

It looks like this race is turning out to be quite difficult even for the front runners.

Kobus, thanks for all the updates.

Offline Rooikoos

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:31 am »
Dankie vir die updates  :thumleft:

Navigation moet vrek moeilik wees in daai sand!

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:20 am »
Pleasure/plesier manne.

Refueling done and dusted. Sam's lead is shrinking with both Benavides brothers in hot pursuit.  Aaron Mare still holding his own.

Barreda and Cornejo riding together, about 5km behind the front runners.  The 5km could be about 5 minutes, which means Cornejo still have to make up 7 minutes to come into contention for the win.  A lot can still happen.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:24 am »
Final liaison nearly complete.  Now for long wait for the results.

This is where the guys were playing today.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:34 pm »
The results are in!

Nacho Cornejo took the stage win, followed by Joan Barreda.

Cornejo is now only 18 seconds behind Sunderland.

Aaron Mare keeps on impressing me.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:41:02 pm by Kobus Myburgh »

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2019, 05:50:10 am »
Second stage win in Abu Dhabi for Nacho Cornejo. Barreda, second

This report is in the following languages:    

The Chilean rider of the Monster Energy Honda Team, Jose Ignacio Cornejo, took victory in the fourth stage of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge. Barreda and Benavides also finished the special in notable positions.

In Liwa, day four of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge saw the Monster Energy Honda Team riders among the top positions. Cornejo and Barreda replicated the performance of the second stage where, after a total of 520 kilometres on the day, took the top spot and runner up position respectively on the penultimate day. Benavides posted sixth and confirms fourth place in the race’s overall standings.

Over the 286 kilometres of special José Ignacio Cornejo once again shone. The Chilean took advantage of a good start position to claw back time from rivals. ‘Nacho’ retakes second position and is 18 seconds adrift of the rally leader. His partner Joan Barreda, alongside whom he reached the end of the special, once again finished second despite a leg injury. Kevin Benavides, who started out second, dropped time against his rivals but leaves his options open with a fourth place finish.

Tomorrow the final day of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge will be held. The fifth stage, in which the riders will return to the Yas Marina Circuit, will feature a total of 214.5 kilometres of special out of a stage total of 350 kilometres.

Share to Facebook181Share to TwitterShare to PinterestShare to LinkedInShare to More5

Kevin Benavides

STAGE: 6th OVERALL: 4th

It was a tough stage, physically demanding. I started out in second position, so I knew it was normal to lose some time. I stayed calm until kilometre 100, where my brother caught me up and then we rode together pushing with other riders, unlike other stages in which I had ridden alone. It was a beautiful stage that I think was good for me. We will continue along this line as we had planned.

Joan Barreda

STAGE: 2nd OVERALL: 17th

We had a good stage Nacho and I, and were together all day. I tried to push in the first part before the refuelling. Then I saw that other riders were joining us and we tried to push in the last part. It was good despite my physical condition, to which I’ve added a cut on my leg that I did the second day with the foot-rest. I've had an ugly wound for two days and I'm having a hard time. There are only a few kilometres left and we are going to try to finish the rally.

José Ignacio Cornejo

STAGE: 1st OVERALL: 2nd

Today we started out from behind, a good starting position to be able to push in the special to try to whittle down as much time as possible from the other riders. It was a good stage win and I got close enough to Sam, who will be able to pull back tomorrow. For the final day it looks a little complicated to maintain the position, but we will try everything to keep the second place in the general.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 07:16:16 am »
Positions still unchanged from the starting line up this morning.

Barreda has made up the difference between him and team mate Cornejo and it looks like they might be riding together.  If Cornejo wants to maintain the gap between him and Sam, or make up the 18 seconds difference, he will need all the help he can get from his team mate.

In turn, I guess Sunderland can't just risk everything and go balls to the wall.

It seems that the distance between them is about 19km, but the terrain looks more forgiving than the previous stages and could mean that the time difference is not that much.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 08:28:48 am »
Sam Sunderland is absolutely flying this morning.  The best Cornejo can do is hold on to that 2nd spot of his by the look of things.

-David Livingstone-

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2019, 08:42:48 am »
Looks like Sam Sunderland is king of the dunes again!

-David Livingstone-

Offline Takashi

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2019, 09:14:34 am »
Well he is in his element in those dunes, home field advantage so to speak.