Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Merzouga Rally 2019  (Read 480 times)

Offline Buff

Re: Merzouga Rally 2019
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 02:34:58 pm »
Well done Kirsten... and so has Taye Perry  :thumleft: So it'll be the two of them duking it out for the 1st South African woman to finish Dakar  :ricky:

And in other news Ross Branch has placed 2nd Overall behind Van Beveren  :thumleft: That's a pretty amazing result from Ross considering the amount of experience he's got at this sort of racing.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline tulips

• Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 02:42:06 pm »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:02 pm »
Both Taye & Kirsten are doing very well  :thumleft:

I'm just hoping Rob can pull through. The oke's been super positive all week but on last nights vid feedback you could see he was kakking off with pain big time. His shoulder popped out again in the stage and he was forced to ride like that with his throttle hand duct taped to the bike for support. Hard core stuff.

Where are you accessing the vid feedback?

Ya nee.. these okes have big brass ones and a dedicated determination like Ive never seen, its crazy.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 03:40:26 pm »
Both Taye & Kirsten are doing very well  :thumleft:

I'm just hoping Rob can pull through. The oke's been super positive all week but on last nights vid feedback you could see he was kakking off with pain big time. His shoulder popped out again in the stage and he was forced to ride like that with his throttle hand duct taped to the bike for support. Hard core stuff.

Where are you accessing the vid feedback?

Ya nee.. these okes have big brass ones and a dedicated determination like Ive never seen, its crazy.

You can follow Rob on his FB page called Amateur 2 DAKAR - Robert Gibbon  :thumleft:

Online Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 08:27:24 pm »
Thanks for the updates Buff.  :thumleft:

Do you perhaps know how the big teams decide between competing in the Merzouga and the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge which runs concurrently?
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Buff

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 09:18:43 pm »
@Kobus Myburgh ... I'm not too sure to be 100% Kobus but I think there were more World cup points on offer at the AD rally, that's why more riders chose to ride it.

Here's some feedback I copied from Taye Perry's FB page. How hardcore is this young lady??? I just can't help but love her spirit & tenacity. She wasn't born with a golden spoon and I get the idea that her racing career has been a case of "I'll make do with what I have and prove the whole damn world how good I am". Like old Naas once said "it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog"  :thumleft:

Merzouga Rally 2019 has come to an end, hereís a bit of a summary;

After everything, achieving 2nd place female was a surprise to me...I didnít think Iíd make podium at all after my equipment and navigational troubles in the Prologue and on Stage 1, placing me around 2 hours behind the leading female. But I put my head down and got straight back to business, the hunt, the comeback, winning every stage thereafter in the female category (stage 2, 3, 4 and 5).
It wasnít enough, but I managed to claw back over an hour and 20 minutes on 1st place, and over 20 positions in the general standings.

I was on a rented enduro build bike (a ďliteĒ rally version) which had its advantages and disadvantages (lack of top end speed being a frustrating disadvantage to me)... I also planned for this race with a rather tight budget. Dunes and a ripped up tyre are a bad combination, haha... but I loved every moment of the race, the struggles, the competition, every kilometre, in fact, it was over too soon for me. And Iím already itching for the next one.

Off track and off the bike was another battle on itís own... I was alone. Hotels were full everywhere. Every night was a hunt to find a place to sleep, let alone shower and all, after marking my roadbook and sorting out my kit for the following day, catching local taxiís, finding a place or something to eat (I wasnít eating right, off and on the bike). I lost over 4kg.
I was lucky if I got 2-3 hours of sleep a night... thanks to a few awesome people though, Patsy, Bart & crew, Ross B, some nights were easier than others...

Itís been a tough start, but itíll take a lot more than a few (many) problems to stop me, Taye Perry... canít wait for more!

...and with ProTouchGlobal coming onboard with me, believing in me, and having made the Merzouga Rally happen for me, everything and more is now possible.

Dakar qualifier done.
And so it has begun!

#merzougarally2019
#Merzougarally
#merzougaheroes
@protouchglobal
@merzougarally
#tayetodakar2020
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:19:52 pm by Buff »

Offline Kortbroek

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 09:43:30 pm »
Off track and off the bike was another battle on itís own... I was alone. Hotels were full everywhere. Every night was a hunt to find a place to sleep, let alone shower and all, after marking my roadbook and sorting out my kit for the following day, catching local taxiís, finding a place or something to eat (I wasnít eating right, off and on the bike). I lost over 4kg.
I was lucky if I got 2-3 hours of sleep a night... thanks to a few awesome people though, Patsy, Bart & crew, Ross B, some nights were easier than others...

This is for me the most impressive part of it all. As if the race itself isn't tough enough.

Looking forward to seeing her at Dakar.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:44:14 pm by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 08:35:55 am »

This is for me the most impressive part of it all. As if the race itself isn't tough enough.

Looking forward to seeing her at Dakar.
Just so  . . .WOW !

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 12:57:54 pm »
No DSTV anymore, but there is a fairly good program on this years race currently on catch up. Found it quite by accident.

Only problem is they have turned Kirsten Landman into some oke with a pom accent, well he was being interviewed and they claimed it was Kirsten.

But all the folks from Africa got a decent amount of exposure, so quite cool.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Buff

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:04 am »
Thanks for the heads up @Warren Ellwood , that was a pretty cool highlights package  :thumleft: